• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Gun rights advocate resigns from national group', WiscNews.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.wiscnews.com/spe/news/459215

By Todd Krysiak, Sauk Prairie Eagle

Outspoken gun rights advocate Candace Dainty has chosen to part ways with the Second Amendment Sisters and will strike out on her own to champion the cause.
Dainty, a Prairie du Sac resident, served as the state coordinator for the organization's Wisconsin chapter since 2007 and quit last week after the group expressed concern that she used her position to forward a view that was not held by the organization.

"They didn't like my opinion," Dainty said in a telephone interview July 20.
Dainty, who served on the board of directors for the national organization until earlier this year, said she held misgivings about her status with the group since February 2008, when she spoke out against what she thought was an unwieldy online message board system the group uses to maintain contact with its members.
Earlier this year, she began developing two Web sites aimed at gun rights and self-defense advocacy that she believed would further strain her relationship with the Second Amendment Sisters.

However, she said it was the group's response to her letter to the editor published in the July 15 edition of the Eagle titled "Personally defending unborn babies" that led to her resignation.

"Oh, the flames," she said. "I addressed abortion in the same letter as I mentioned the Second Amendment Sisters and that's wrong according to their rules."

Dainty said she voluntarily quit, adding that no one asked her to resign.

Second Amendment Sisters Founder and President Marinelle Thompson declined to comment for this article, though she submitted a Letter to the Editor after Dainty's resignation. In it, she points out that the group is a "one-issue organization," adding that Dainty used her position in an unauthorized way. Thompson's entire letter is published in this edition of the Eagle on page 5.

Dainty said she believed she was acting as an individual in her letter and drew a line between her own position and that of the Second Amendment Sisters, though she acknowledged she used the group's name in the letter.

"I'm not allowed to vocalize my opinion because it might be seen as a Second Amendment Sisters opinion?" the former state coordinator said. "Well, that's tough s---."

Dainty said she would continue to promote the causes of gun rights and self-defense outside the national ogranization[sic], primarily through a pair of Web sites she plans to launch in the coming weeks. The sites will be devoted to the issues from the perspective of a Jewish-American.

"I'm not done. If anything else, the fire is only hotter," she said. "I no longer have to worry about hurting the Second Amendment Sisters' feelings."

Dainty compared her plight while in the organization with that of former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin before she resigned.

"She couldn't do what she wanted to do because she was incumbered[sic] by being governor and all the responsibilities of the office," she said. "Now she can do the things that she feels are important for the country."

More in the opinion section, Mailbag letters.
To read Second Amendment Sisters Founder and President Marinelle Thompson's complete response to Candace Dainty's July 15 Letter to the Editor, please see our MAILBAG on page 5.

http://www.wiscnews.com/spe/opinion/459241

By Marinelle Thompson, founder and president, Second Amendment Sisters

Your publication recently published a letter to the editor entitled, "MAILBAG: Personally defending unborn babies" (July 15) by Candace Dainty. In this article she uses the name of our organization, Second Amendment Sisters, Inc. in conjunction with the issue of abortion.

Dainty, at the time she wrote this letter, was the Wisconsin State Coordinator for our organization and has since resigned her position. Dainty used her former position with SAS and our name in an unauthorized way.

Second Amendment Sisters, Inc. is a one-issue organization dealing only with Second Amendment issues.

Our organization is made up of women and men from all walks of life and we respect our members' opinions on social issues, however, we do not take a formal position on such issues.

Our authorized representatives are free to speak or write about whatever they want, but that doesn't mean that they have a right to bring the SAS name or identification into the discussion or debate if the topic is not related to Second Amendment matters.

http://www.wiscnews.com/spe/opinion/458417

By Candace Dainty, Prairie du Sac

"Self defense is a basic human right." This is the trademarked credo of Second Amendment Sisters, LLC. Self-defense is our singular issue. We believe we should have the best tools available to defend ourselves, including guns.

For many this is a right-wing radical concept. We, who defend ourselves, country, and innocent babies from death, while toting our bibles, are considered the new "terrorists."

Self defense. What a curious concept. I wonder how the babies Dr. Tiller butchered defended themselves. Tiller should not have been murdered. That's a crime.

In Kansas, what he was doing to defenseless fetuses is not.

Our country was founded on values. We've struggled through the years to maintain those values. In the mid 1800s we became divided and fought a bloody war, sorting out those values.

The values we've fought for are the "Right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."

Notice the first of those values is the "right to life."

"Life" is now being perceived as an expendable inconvenience. While Dr. Tiller should not have been murdered, neither should have the babies he butchered.

Actions such as his reduce us to the level of the animals we so arrogantly deem inferior. We consider ourselves better than 'lower creatures,' but who is lower than one who will suck the brain out of a six-month fetus? Did that fetus feel terrorized? You tell me.

As a nation we're pulling back from Iraq and only tentatively going into Afghanistan because we don't want our troops killed, yet we think it's A-ok to kill an unborn child. How sick.

Once upon a time, we didn't understand how life started or developed. Then we learned. We were able to understand the development of a child from conception. We were also frustrated when, because of some sort of anomaly, a baby would be born too early to survive.

Today's neo-natal medicine has improved to the point where babies born at six months pregnancy, weighing just two pounds, have excellent chances of survival and normal lives.These babies could easily be the victims of the "late term abortions" doctors, such as George Tiller, perform.

Doctors swear an oath to do no harm, The Hippocratic Oath.

Sadly there are cases where it's the 'hypocritical' oath.

While killing George Tiller was a crime, I personally feel no sadness that he, at least, can no longer murderously terrorize a defenseless unborn child.

Second Amendment Sisters is only about self-defense, a basic human right. I am personally defending unborn babies who have no ability to defend themselves.

FLR&@

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Maybe gun rights activists seeking some sort of uncritical 'unity' should keep silent on distractions.
Very true Doug.

By far the quickest way do disassemble any group is to allow the group tofocus on the individualdifferences amongst themrather than haveingthe groupfocus onthere common goal.

Needless to say this works in both directions.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

FLR72 wrote:
Needless to say this works in both directions.
Sorry, I don't know what this means.

First we seem to agree that political distractions lead to disunity. Then you suggest that there is another 'direction'. Distractions lead to unity? Disunity leads to distractions?

We can see that the issue of abortion has reduced SAS membership by one. Do you imagine that off-topic statements here OCDO lead some to disaffection?

FLR&@

imported post

Mutual dissatisfaction can alsolead to unification.

Ido feel off topic conservations have affected "us" negatively, along with a few other things.