Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Distasteful open carry

Post imported post

Hi folks. I've seen several notations following meeting announcements of pro-gun groups which say, "Tasteful open carry is allowed/encouraged."

It always makes me scratch my head. I am curious what people have in mind (or what they have actually seen) which would constitute "distasteful open carry."

Wearing a gun as a codpiece or something would seem to qualify, but I can't imagine what it is people actually do which would be considered distasteful or untasteful or non-tasteful.

In my case I have a belt on which is a basic Bianchi holster in which I put my gun. I can't really think of a "rude" way of carrying....

Post imported post

No offense to this guy, but maybe this would qualify as an extreme example?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB2SVI7tLuY

I suppose it's appropriate at a Free Stater meeting, but it would be inappropriate as hell most anywhere else.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

In that guys case, I get the fact that he was making a point, but I'm not 100% sure he was making it in the right place. Still, carrying a broadsword, AR-15 and big-ass revolver at the same time probably qualifies as bad taste unless you are an extremely hot chick in leather pants in which case I'd submit it is extremely tasteful.

Post imported post

unless you are an extremely hot chick in leather pants in which case I'd submit it is extremely tasteful.
    +10000 Agreed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Well if you have a doubt, ask yourself, what would a jury of my peers say? By peers I mean the average registered voter in your locality, not us OCDOers. I love the broadsword, AR, and S&W500 but if he was in a shooting incident, a prosecutor could paint it in a bad light. The invisible line shifts as to what is to remarkable or untasteful, but that is for you to decide. Horizontal shoulder rigs aren't good because no one behind you wants to look down the barrel of a gun. I would say something like a nazi marked pistol or grim reaper grips on a 1911 are the kind of things that would be trouble if you are involved in an altercation. Before HankT jumps down my neck, this is just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Post imported post

Could distasteful refer to carrying firearms of companies that caved to the gungrabbers in the past? i.e; Smith and Wesson and Ruger.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

There wouldn't be too many left to carry then, all have compromised some way.

Banned

Post imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
    I can't really think of a "rude" way of carrying....
    Be excessively proud of carrying, or consider your right inviolate, and you'll see your fellow gun owners turn on you.

Post imported post

As if gun owners are some monolithic freedom loving group.

Post imported post

Admittedly... I'd be one of the first to ask: "WTF are you doin'?" IfI saw anything close to that. Exhibitionism is NOT cool.

OK... I've got all that stuff he was draggin' around 'cept for the oversized wheelgun 'n some 'other' neat kill toys as well. Would I walk around with all that stuff? No... it's not practical nor suitable for the purpose of self defense... unless the Zombies come.

This is exactly the kind of stuff the anti's glom on: "See-see-see... gun nut whacko!"

I carry a single pistol, maybe a knife and a twin mag pouch. No sparkle, no glitter... just efficient. Around the property it's just the pistol in an open bucket.None of the pistols are 'cannons'.

If you think it's over the top... Then it prob'ly is.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

So let me see if I got this right. It would be distasteful for someone to O-C an AR-15 in Pistol configuration? Well how about a big-ole Desert Eagle in .41 or .44 Mag, or even .50 AE. Is that distatsteful. If not, if worn as a codpiece it would be?

How about a cowboy rig while wearing nothing else but a speedo and cowboy boots? Distasteful then??

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:

How about a cowboy rig while wearing nothing else but a speedo and cowboy boots? Distasteful then??

'Prob'ly not in your social circles... sweetpants.

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Could distasteful refer to carrying firearms of companies that caved to the gungrabbers in the past? i.e; Smith and Wesson and Ruger.
    If they have mended their ways, then don't continue to abuse the deceased equine. It only serves to makeone look rather excessively OCD.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:

Something tells me you've been to a Pink Pistols rally before...

(ETA: I don't want to sound like I mean that demeaningly. I love the Pink Pistols and think they do excellent work for two important causes. I've never been to a rally, so I'm assuming it would be somewhere between an NRA meeting and a Gay Pride parade.)

(Come to think of it... I've never been to an NRA meeting or Gay Pride parade... so I guess I'm just assuming what those are like based on what I've seen on TV and heard on the internet.)

(I gotta get out more!)
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
    Hi folks. I've seen several notations following meeting announcements of pro-gun groups which say, "Tasteful open carry is allowed/encouraged."

It always makes me scratch my head. I am curious what people have in mind (or what they have actually seen) which would constitute "distasteful open carry."

Wearing a gun as a codpiece or something would seem to qualify, but I can't imagine what it is people actually do which would be considered distasteful or untasteful or non-tasteful.

In my case I have a belt on which is a basic Bianchi holster in which I put my gun. I can't really think of a "rude" way of carrying....
    Im probly wrong but maybe they are talking about leg holsters on a guy thats not a public servant,military,security,LEO,or fugitive recovery-I dont know but if look like your on a black ops mission at the taco bell it might be what they're talkin bout:P

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    So let me see if I got this right. It would be distasteful for someone to O-C an AR-15 in Pistol configuration? Well how about a big-ole Desert Eagle in .41 or .44 Mag, or even .50 AE. Is that distatsteful. If not, if worn as a codpiece it would be?

thats just sexy:celebrate,but make sure you shine both guns:what:

Post imported post

All guns are distasteful. Throw them all in a pile and run them over with a steam roller.

Gun-owner on gun-owner hate... This is why we find ourselves in the position we are in.

...and why I won't be attending any of these get-togethers. You 'only ones' can go have your fun pushing people out whom you should be supporting, elitist SOBs...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

ixtow wrote:
    All guns are distasteful. Throw them all in a pile and run them over with a steam roller.

Gun-owner on gun-owner hate... This is why we find ourselves in the position we are in.

...and why I won't be attending any of these get-togethers. You 'only ones' can go have your fun pushing people out whom you should be supporting, elitist SOBs...
    Oh the irony.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    ixtow wrote:

Oh the irony.
    What, to allow them to be successful in their elitism?
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Post imported post

ixtow wrote:
    longwatch wrote:
    ixtow wrote:

Oh the irony.
    No your hate of other gun owners. Who is good enough for you?

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    ixtow wrote:
    longwatch wrote:
    ixtow wrote:

Oh the irony.
    No your hate of other gun owners. Who is good enough for you?
    Oh, do explain this one to me...

Post imported post

My impression of you is that you feel that few gun owners including those on this forum meet your standards, that they are not as hardcore as you when it comes to RKBA. That you are better than they are.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    My impression of you is that you feel that few gun owners including those on this forum meet your standards, that they are not as hardcore as you when it comes to RKBA. That you are better than they are.
    I suppose you can have the view if you like, and it may be, in part, accurate.

But how that matter became the topic if this particular discussion is quite ironic, since it's about those who would exclude me.

Post imported post

So far all I've seen is you excluding yourself, why would they specifically exclude you?

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    So far all I've seen is you excluding yourself, why would they specifically exclude you?
    The unspoken rules of what 'tasteful' open carry is... It's that attitude that lead to Open Carry being taboo in the first place. I saw the flack that KP took for carrying an AR pistol, so that makes it pretty clear that 'my kind' isn't welcome; because I'd pack the PLR-16.

How dare I...

So, since I'm considered 'distasteful,' I'll just stay at home like the elitists tell me to. I'm a dirty bastard who isn't wanted... Blah blah blah. I see no reason to go out of my way to spend time in the presence of people who think I have no right to live.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast