• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Distasteful open carry

crisisweasel

imported post

Hi folks. I've seen several notations following meeting announcements of pro-gun groups which say, "Tasteful open carry is allowed/encouraged."

It always makes me scratch my head. I am curious what people have in mind (or what they have actually seen) which would constitute "distasteful open carry."

Wearing a gun as a codpiece or something would seem to qualify, but I can't imagine what it is people actually do which would be considered distasteful or untasteful or non-tasteful.

In my case I have a belt on which is a basic Bianchi holster in which I put my gun. I can't really think of a "rude" way of carrying....

crisisweasel

imported post

In that guys case, I get the fact that he was making a point, but I'm not 100% sure he was making it in the right place. Still, carrying a broadsword, AR-15 and big-ass revolver at the same time probably qualifies as bad taste unless you are an extremely hot chick in leather pants in which case I'd submit it is extremely tasteful.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well if you have a doubt, ask yourself, what would a jury of my peers say? By peers I mean the average registered voter in your locality, not us OCDOers. I love the broadsword, AR, and S&W500 but if he was in a shooting incident, a prosecutor could paint it in a bad light. The invisible line shifts as to what is to remarkable or untasteful, but that is for you to decide. Horizontal shoulder rigs aren't good because no one behind you wants to look down the barrel of a gun. I would say something like a nazi marked pistol or grim reaper grips on a 1911 are the kind of things that would be trouble if you are involved in an altercation. Before HankT jumps down my neck, this is just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Admittedly... I'd be one of the first to ask: "WTF are you doin'?" IfI saw anything close to that. Exhibitionism is NOT cool.

OK... I've got all that stuff he was draggin' around 'cept for the oversized wheelgun 'n some 'other' neat kill toys as well. Would I walk around with all that stuff? No... it's not practical nor suitable for the purpose of self defense... unless the Zombies come.

This is exactly the kind of stuff the anti's glom on: "See-see-see... gun nut whacko!"

I carry a single pistol, maybe a knife and a twin mag pouch. No sparkle, no glitter... just efficient. Around the property it's just the pistol in an open bucket.None of the pistols are 'cannons'.

If you think it's over the top... Then it prob'ly is.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

So let me see if I got this right. It would be distasteful for someone to O-C an AR-15 in Pistol configuration? Well how about a big-ole Desert Eagle in .41 or .44 Mag, or even .50 AE. Is that distatsteful. If not, if worn as a codpiece it would be?

How about a cowboy rig while wearing nothing else but a speedo and cowboy boots? Distasteful then??

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Nutczak wrote:

How about a cowboy rig while wearing nothing else but a speedo and cowboy boots? Distasteful then??

'Prob'ly not in your social circles... sweetpants.

PavePusher

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Could distasteful refer to carrying firearms of companies that caved to the gungrabbers in the past? i.e; Smith and Wesson and Ruger.

If they have mended their ways, then don't continue to abuse the deceased equine. It only serves to makeone look rather excessively OCD.;)

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Something tells me you've been to a Pink Pistols rally before... :lol:

(ETA: I don't want to sound like I mean that demeaningly. I love the Pink Pistols and think they do excellent work for two important causes. I've never been to a rally, so I'm assuming it would be somewhere between an NRA meeting and a Gay Pride parade.)

(Come to think of it... I've never been to an NRA meeting or Gay Pride parade... so I guess I'm just assuming what those are like based on what I've seen on TV and heard on the internet.)

(I gotta get out more!)

brokenbarrel

imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
Hi folks. I've seen several notations following meeting announcements of pro-gun groups which say, "Tasteful open carry is allowed/encouraged."

It always makes me scratch my head. I am curious what people have in mind (or what they have actually seen) which would constitute "distasteful open carry."

Wearing a gun as a codpiece or something would seem to qualify, but I can't imagine what it is people actually do which would be considered distasteful or untasteful or non-tasteful.

In my case I have a belt on which is a basic Bianchi holster in which I put my gun. I can't really think of a "rude" way of carrying....
Im probly wrong but maybe they are talking about leg holsters on a guy thats not a public servant,military,security,LEO,or fugitive recovery-I dont know but if look like your on a black ops mission at the taco bell it might be what they're talkin bout:p

brokenbarrel

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
So let me see if I got this right. It would be distasteful for someone to O-C an AR-15 in Pistol configuration? Well how about a big-ole Desert Eagle in .41 or .44 Mag, or even .50 AE. Is that distatsteful. If not, if worn as a codpiece it would be?

thats just sexy:celebrate,but make sure you shine both guns:what:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

All guns are distasteful. Throw them all in a pile and run them over with a steam roller.

Gun-owner on gun-owner hate... This is why we find ourselves in the position we are in.

...and why I won't be attending any of these get-togethers. You 'only ones' can go have your fun pushing people out whom you should be supporting, elitist SOBs...

longwatch

imported post

ixtow wrote:
All guns are distasteful. Throw them all in a pile and run them over with a steam roller.

Gun-owner on gun-owner hate... This is why we find ourselves in the position we are in.

...and why I won't be attending any of these get-togethers. You 'only ones' can go have your fun pushing people out whom you should be supporting, elitist SOBs...
Oh the irony.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
ixtow wrote:

Oh the irony.
What, to allow them to be successful in their elitism?

longwatch

imported post

ixtow wrote:
longwatch wrote:
ixtow wrote:

Oh the irony.
What, to allow them to be successful in their elitism?
No your hate of other gun owners. Who is good enough for you?