• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bullet setback

gollbladder13

imported post

On other forums, I've seen this question about rechambering the same round multiple times and the bullet actually gets forced into the casing. IIRC, .40S&W was the only round that I've seen a photo of, but don't know the validity of it (I've recieved factory rounds with this in 9mm before rather than it happening from too many times chambering).

Since the other forums are more on a national and international scale, most people's response is, "Well, I just leave it loaded so I don't have to worry about it."

Here in WI, however, we deal with a lot more loading/unloading because of our outragous restrictions, which would lend more to these setback claims. Have any of you, in your experience, encountered this? Just wondering.

-Golls

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes, rechambering of the same round more than a couple times will force it farther back into the casing. This is the reason I carry my 1911 condition 3. It's either that or use a revolver. I buy some pretty good ammo for my EDC and I don't want to have to keep buying boxes every couple weeks. At this point I've adapted my draw so I can draw, rack the slide, and aim all in one motion. Still, I'm considering carrying my Judge instead. I would have to deal with even less ammo and no real way for a quick reload but I make up for that with being able to use .45 Colt and .410 000 Buckshot :D

Sajuuk

imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
... I don't want to have to keep buying boxes every couple weeks.
I'd love to buy some, but I can't even find any defense ammo. Nobody seems to have anything but low-grain range ammo in stock.

Anyway, on-topic, I've been just rechambering the same round over and over, depending on which magazine I happen to grab. I've been worried about it, too, but so far they don't seem to have sunk in at all. I'll have to get a micrometer and measure it more closely to see if it's changed.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

And I have been keeping track of my bullets over all length for quite a while, a year any way. My Federal .40 and .45 EFMJ are all with in the range of new never loaded rounds.

That said, I need to replenish my .45 EFMJ. Any shops with them in stock between North Port and Port Washington?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Some persons will say this will eventually break or damage the extractor, but my Taurus extractor pivots on a pin, so when it hops over the rim of the round, it is pivoting against a spring and not merely flexing. I've chambered rounds thousands of times this way on this gun and have had zero extractor problems.

I was thinking the problem with the method of dropping in a round and thenreleasing the slidewould be more related to an increased possibility of a "slam fire".

I've been told, and it makes some pretty good sense IMO, that allowing the action to go forward without anything slowing it down (stripping a round from the mag for instance)would cause the slide to move with greater speed. When the slide stops the firing pin could have enough inertia to hit the primer hard enough for detonation.

Now, this is dependent upon the design of the particular gun and I'm sure would be much more possible in a floating firing pin design such as an AR-15 than in most handguns. In fact, I often see little dents onthe primers of unfired cartridges that Itake out of my AR's. Some handguns may even make it impossible for this to happen. Just got me thinking is all.

Doug Huffman wrote:
And I have been keeping track of my bullets over all length for quite a while, a year any way. My Federal .40 and .45 EFMJ are all with in the range of new never loaded rounds.
Mine too. Alot to do with how smoothly your firearm chambers I think.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sajuuk wrote:
GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
... I don't want to have to keep buying boxes every couple weeks.
I'd love to buy some, but I can't even find any defense ammo. Nobody seems to have anything but low-grain range ammo in stock.

Anyway, on-topic, I've been just rechambering the same round over and over, depending on which magazine I happen to grab. I've been worried about it, too, but so far they don't seem to have sunk in at all. I'll have to get a micrometer and measure it more closely to see if it's changed.
I get my self-defense ammo from Shooters Shop. I recently switched from Federal .45 185 gr. Hydra-Shoks to Hornady .45 230 gr. +P TAP ammo. Haven't shot it yet but it seems like good stuff and Hornady has a good rep.