• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Explaining how gun free zones work

jeremy05

imported post

Whenever I get into a conversation with a friend or whomever about these zone and how they just dont work, and the whole concept is a joke, I have a hard time putting it into words.

The whole Idea is laughable, but can anyone explain them in a couple sentences about how they are intended to work, and how they clearly do not.

I usually say they dont work because criminals do not obey the law, so you are only keeping out law abiding citizens who were able to defend themselfs and others, but cant in these zones.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

School shooter arrives in parking lot... gets out of his car with his 9 guns and 10,000 rounds of ammo, ready to do some serious killing... walks up to the middle of the campus, sees a "gun free zone" sign "no firearms permited"...damn... not allowed to have guns here... turns and gets back in his car and drives away.

/story

chiefjason

imported post

Distille this down to fit your needs.

At some point, you would think the media would notice that something is going on here, that these murderers aren’t just picking their targets at random. And this pattern isn’t really too surprising. Most people understand that guns deter criminals.

If a killer were stalking your family, would you feel safer putting a sign out front announcing, “This home is a gun-free zone”? But that is what all these places did.

Even when attacks occur, having civilians with permitted concealed handguns limits the damage. A major factor in determining how many people are harmed by these killers is the amount of time that elapses between when the attack starts and someone is able to arrive on the scene with a gun.

For years I would tell news people about the fact that every single multiple victim public shooting in the US involving more than three people killed took place in one of these gun-free zones. The response was they might include this information as part of the story if I could get it to them fast enough so that it could be included as part of the news story. But when I started to do that I was told that it would be editorializing to include that information. My response has been that if news stories can contain long (often inaccurate) discussions of the type of gun used in the crime, why isn’t it also newsworthy to note one common characteristic that occurs in attack after attack?

When will this simple fact about gun-free zones become part of the news coverage itself? How different would the political debate about guns be if even once in a while a news story mentioned that there has been another multiple victim public shooting in a gun free zone?

John Lott is a senior research scientist at the University of Maryland and the author of Freedomnomics.

http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/04/03/gun-free-zones-are-a-magnet-for-attacks-like-the-tragedy-in-binghampton/

falcon1

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
Whenever I get into a conversation with a friend or whomever about these zone and how they just dont work, and the whole concept is a joke, I have a hard time putting it into words.

The whole Idea is laughable, but can anyone explain them in a couple sentences about how they are intended to work, and how they clearly do not.

I usually say they dont work because criminals do not obey the law, so you are only keeping out law abiding citizens who were able to defend themselfs and others, but cant in these zones.
If your friends have never seen this, it might help them to understand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pGt_O1uM8

It is satirical, but it may get the point across better than "dry facts."

stuckinchico

imported post

l_b1f4130c447e478e93d315c5678757da.jpg