• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry at Lincoln Park Seattle this Sat July25

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

It's not up to us to "win them over". We don't have to. They have the right to disagree with us. Our aim in OC is to:

A. Exercise our right to carry a firearm.

B. Fight the hoplophobia by getting people used to seeing others carrying a firearm openly.

C. Educate any of the general public who show interest.

D. Educate the police in the few cases where it becomes necessary.

E. Show solidarity with other 2A supporters.

As I said, we don't have to win them over. We're legal and they need to know it. Once that's done they're on their own to make an INFORMED decision as to where they stand.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

seattleric007 wrote:
I'm wondering SVG why do you open carry? I live in Queen Anne in Seattle,a very high end part of Seattle. I rent a small studiio apt., thats how I can afford to live here. I open carry around her and all it gets me is dirty looks or scared looks. One out of every 10,000 people I meet like it or approve of it. Its hard to make new friends when your the weird person in the neighborhood. Do alot of Supermodels or just pretty chicks come to your open carry events? Do we have alot of doctors and lawyer's, or astronauts in our group, or are we a bunch of misfits with insecurties that we can't even use are real names on the forums?I wonder if we pissoff enough people that our moving here that hate guns, will they out vote us and get rid of open carry? I would love to hear someidea's about how to win hearts and minds to the pro guncause, do youhave any? Eric.
I carry because I can and it is legal. You need no further reason!!!!!!

The majority of my encounters are positive, why yours are negative, is a question you should ask yourself. Who cares if supermodels come or not? We are regular people of all various backgrounds, what percentage of the population are doctors and lawyers and astronauts (and there are a few Lawyers and those in the medical feild on these forums)? Who is a misfit, who are you to judge anybody else? Some people like anonymity while posting so what? They might work for Law enforcement or a anti gun company. Or the privacy of open discussion without ramifications.

We are not going to win hearts and minds of the anti's just not going to happen we just have to stand up and fight for what our rights our. And due to a lot of hard work of a few members on here open carry has started to gain acceptance, and has become easier for those were not willing to have a "negative encounter"

Oh hint, the more you open carry in your neighbor hood and the more people see you and get to know you , your dirty looks will get less. Just ask others on here who open carry most everywhere they go. It is a personal choice if you are not willing to do it are to afraid or don't believe in it then don't, but I think it is unfair to ask others not to excercise their legal rights, because some people don't like it.

compmanio365

imported post

People forget just how much humans are wired for body language and run off non-verbal "clues". Whether you realize it or not, if you think you are not in the right when OCing, or afraid you will be harassed, you give that away in your body language and "clues". Other people pick up on this and believe you are up to no good, even if they can't figure out why. Don't act like you aren't sure of yourself; know that what you are doing is legal and you have every right to carry this way. Go about your business as usual, and people will leave you alone, cause you won't give off the "vibe" that something is wrong with you. When I carry, I know I'm in the right, and I know that until I'm asked to leave private property, I have every right to be in that place, same as every other person there. I have not been harassed while OCing for over a year now. I do get the occasional question though.....

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

seattleric007 wrote:
Very well put Mr. Bookman. But what happens when the majority changes that law? Is it changeable? I herd on the radio that Seattle city councilman was taking a pole about banning smoking in public parks for family reasons. Is it my mistake to think that the majority of Seattlelites think guns and cigarettes are equally evil and should be removed from our city parks? I'm on your side. I'm just trying to point out the mind set of the people we are up against, and is there some strategy to change that, besides what you have so eloquently stated? Is theresomething we can do better on ourpart to win them over? Eric.
There's a huge diference here. The right to smoke isn't specifically protected by the State constitution.

PPonder on this question all you want. I'm just going to carry (or not) as I feel like doing so. If thay have a problem with it it's THEIR problem. Changing the law in that regard won't be as easy as they might think, esprcially in an increasingly violent world.

Why do you think we're currently making such inroads in regaining our gun rights?

seattleric007

Banned
imported post

Thanks SVG, I now see the light. You see I moved here 5 years ago from CA. I lived 37 years in Oakland and San Francisco. I watched as the media take away my gun rights, so I'm a little paranoid about losing them again. Down in CA it was legal to open carry unloaded but the police would put you in jail for distrubing the peace and confiscate your gun, and if you carried loaded it was prison for 2 years. It really sucked. Crime everywhere. SoI don't want to do something wrong up here and lose my CCP. On a seperate note, I open carried to a small shopping area near my house a few times and then they put up no gun signs. I don't want to make things worst. Thanks for the Good advice, much appreciated. Eric.