• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places of worship

Phssthpok

imported post

Am I understanding Ohio law correctly, that a 'place of worship' is presumed by law to be a prohibited place, and must actively post that it's OK to carry (if they want to allow it) instead of being required to post that it's NOT OK like other non-government entities (businesses)?

Bustelo5%

imported post

Now im not a lawyer but from what I gather,the laymens means. Presume its a non carry zone unless you speak with the pastor or leader.Really they cannot regulate it because of church and state but if a Pastor and or leader is cool with it then go on carrying. Now thats just my take but that is as clear as it can be. Dont carry if you havent gotten permission from the leader or pastor but carry if they do let you.

IxionDeece

imported post

Bust is completely correct, I used to go to church and the only way you are permitted to carry OC or CC in that place of worship is if the pastor verbally tells you directly that it is ok. Not if someone else in the church that carries says it is ok. My advise is just ask your pastor if he/she don't mind.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

IxionDeece wrote:
Bust is completely correct, I used to go to church and the only way you are permitted to carry OC or CC in that place of worship is if the pastor verbally tells you directly that it is ok. Not if someone else in the church that carries says it is ok. My advise is just ask your pastor if he/she don't mind.
Not completely correct....

2923.125(B) A valid license issued under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun in any manner prohibited under division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code or in any manner prohibited under section 2923.16 of the Revised Code. A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:

(6) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship, unless the church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship posts or permits otherwise;
Ohio does not regulate OC, but if the church asked you to leave because you were OCing and don't then you could be arrested for trespass.

PT111

imported post

other place of worship posts or permits otherwise;
This is how you find out what the others think of you. You go ahead and carry. If the Pastor/Board of Deacons ask you to leave it outside then you know what to do. If something happens and the LEO comes to arrest you then either the Pastor/Board will tell him to go ahead or will tell him not to. You cannot be arrested without the permission of the ruling body of the church. Either they give thier permission or they don't. Do you really think that they will allow one of their members to be arrested because of carrying a gun in church. If you think they will allow you to be arrested then you need to consider your role in the church.

zack991

imported post

PT111 wrote:
other place of worship posts or permits otherwise;
This is how you find out what the others think of you. You go ahead and carry. If the Pastor/Board of Deacons ask you to leave it outside then you know what to do. If something happens and the LEO comes to arrest you then either the Pastor/Board will tell him to go ahead or will tell him not to. You cannot be arrested without the permission of the ruling body of the church. Either they give thier permission or they don't. Do you really think that they will allow one of their members to be arrested because of carrying a gun in church. If you think they will allow you to be arrested then you need to consider your role in the church.
Simply this. I would still check with your pastor ect. Mine asked me to keep it concealed to keep the "liberals thinkers" that attend from making a scene. As PT111 said if they are willing to have your arrested then its time to find a new church.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I kept mine concealed when at church, just because I didn't want it to be a distraction. But if the pastor says ok; you're good.