• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So tell me about Washington?

I

inNV

imported post

Hello everyone,

A recent unexpected turn of events has me considering moving to the Seattle area. I was wondering what the laws were. I know they allow open carry, and CCW, but what are the laws like? Do signs on businesses have any validity? How about carrying in restaraunts that serve alcohol, or bars in general? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dr. Fresh

imported post

inNV wrote:
Hello everyone,

A recent unexpected turn of events has me considering moving to the Seattle area. I was wondering what the laws were. I know they allow open carry, and CCW, but what are the laws like? Do signs on businesses have any validity? How about carrying in restaraunts that serve alcohol, or bars in general? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bars are off-limits (any area that the liquor control board designates as over-21 only).

Liquor stores are OK for carry.

There is strong state preemption preventing Seattle from passing restrictive laws. OC is OK most anywhere except courthouses, secure areas of jails, etc. I suggest you look up the list of prohibited places.

Signs have no validity, although any business can ask you to leave and trespass you if you refuse.

Seattle has a lot of very liberal people, and as such you might encounter some angry people while OCing, but all in all WA is quite gun-friendly.

Also, if you don't have a CPL, don't carry a loaded pistol in a vehicle. Loaded long guns are also illegal to carry in vehicles, regardless of CPL status.

rickomatic

imported post

Carry in establishments that serve alcohol is restricted in areas only where minors are not permitted. So, if a resturant sells alcohol you may carry in the resturant area. You may not carry in the lounge, if it is restricted against minors.

A bar being restricted to minors is a no carry zone.

As far as I know, there is no statue covering "no guns" signagein private businesses. If a business has a no guns policy they may ask you to leave, or be tresspassed.

Many municipalities try to enforce no gun zones, but are in reality preempted by state statute.

Others may chime in to clarify or correct my statements.

amlevin

imported post

Washington Law regarding gun carry is pretty simple.

Can't carry where alcohol is served AND those under 21 are prohibited. Simple, if you can take a kid with you you can carry.

Carrying a loaded gun in a vehicle requires a CPL. Otherwise it has to be unloaded and cased. With CPL "cocked and locked" is OK.

No can carry in Court or any part of courthouse that "supports" the court. Common areas and entries outside the security check points. Same for Jails.

No carry in airports inside Security Area. Generally, any area that is open to the public when they don't have to pass through the screening point is good. (guarantee that OC will get attention from airport police though).

Washington State has a "preemption law" that states the regulation of firearms is reserved to the state. Cities and Counties can not pass laws regulating firearms that are more restrictive than State Law. If you are legal under State Law you are legal EVERWHERE in the State.

Federal Regulations still are in effect. No Post Office, Federal Office Building, Federal Courthouse, or any other Federal Building carry. Illegal under Federal Law.

The above is somewhat of a summary. There is a great pamphlet that you can download, read, and print available on this forum (see sticky's).

I

inNV

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
inNV wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks

Also, if you don't have a CPL, don't carry a loaded pistol in a vehicle. Loaded long guns are also illegal to carry in vehicles, regardless of CPL status.

Thanks for the reples.

Forgive me, but what is a CPL? Is that what you call your concealed weapons permits? Also, if you are allowed to open carry..why couldn't you open carry loaded in your car?

I

inNV

imported post

Sounds almost like Nevada with the exemption that you can carry into a bar, and drink (in NV)..and you can carry loaded or unloaded in a car regardless of having a permit or not. You can even conceal the weapon in a car without a permit.

p2a1x7

imported post

inNV wrote:
Thanks for the reples.

Forgive me, but what is a CPL? Is that what you call your concealed weapons permits? Also, if you are allowed to open carry..why couldn't you open carry loaded in your car?
CPL = Concealed Pistol License

A CPL is required for you to carry a loaded pistol in your car. Just a stupid part of the law.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Ferries are fine.

The car thing is a hunting law that for some reason affects people who aren' hunting.

Basically, according to law, carrying any loaded gun in your car is illegal. The CPL provides an exception to that law, for pistols only.

Peacemaker

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
Ferries are fine.

The car thing is a hunting law that for some reason affects people who aren' hunting.

Basically, according to law, carrying any loaded gun in your car is illegal. The CPL provides an exception to that law, for pistols only.

Okay, next time I am out there I am going to carry. I did not have a pistol case for TSA transport that would fit in my baggage last time. Now I do :)

Just got to make sure I do not accidentally get on the one to B.C. That might turn out badly.

Phssthpok

imported post

Bear in mind the ferries are considered a Vehicle, and therefore you must either unload, or have a CPL, to carry on them.

joeroket

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Bear in mind the ferries are considered a Vehicle, and therefore you must either unload, or have a CPL, to carry on them.

No, the ferries are part of the highway. They are not a vehicle under state law. How many times do we have to go over this? Jeeze.

Loaded carry on a ferry with no CPL is lawful. It is only unlawful if you are in a vehicle that is on the ferry.

joeroket

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Phssthpok wrote:

No, the ferries are part of the highway. They are not a vehicle under state law. How many times do we have to go over this? Jeeze.

Loaded carry on a ferry with no CPL is lawful. It is only unlawful if you are in a vehicle that is on the ferry.
What about the monorail! :) Now, if the monorail was being transported by ferry.....

BTW Joeroket, did you check out the monorail discussion? There is a section in 9A that states that for the purposes of offenses under 9A or any general statute that "vehicle" means "motor vehicle" as described in motor vehicle statutes.... very interesting.
I did read that thread. It is very interesting. I think you are spot on with the monorail not being a vehicle either.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Monorail? kind of like an elevator going sideways. Just a device for transporting people from point a to point b.:question:

But wait there's more. That is what a vehicle does. Would that mean an elevator is a vehicle?:question::banghead::question:

joeroket

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Monorail? kind of like an elevator going sideways. Just a device for transporting people from point a to point b.:question:

But wait there's more. That is what a vehicle does. Would that mean an elevator is a vehicle?:question::banghead::question:
Not by definition in the RCW's.

I

inNV

imported post

I noticed and read the Washington carry pamphlet on this board, it was great. some questions though..

It is legal to carry concealed with proper permits on a college or university campus? How about open?

And what about "castle doctrines"? What is the law in shooting someone in your home who doesn't belong there?

Dr. Fresh

imported post

inNV wrote:
I noticed and read the Washington carry pamphlet on this board, it was great. some questions though..

It is legal to carry concealed with proper permits on a college or university campus? How about open?

And what about "castle doctrines"? What is the law in shooting someone in your home who doesn't belong there?
There is no duty to retreat, and while there is no castle law, the end result is about the same. I'd suggest reading up on it though.

As for college campuses, it's legal, but against almost all policies, and will get you removed (or expelled if you're a student).

I

inNV

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
inNV wrote:

There is no duty to retreat, and while there is no castle law, the end result is about the same. I'd suggest reading up on it though.

As for college campuses, it's legal, but against almost all policies, and will get you removed (or expelled if you're a student).
Well I guess as long as it's not illegal, concealed means concealed.