• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So tell me about Washington?

p2a1x7

imported post

For Washington State University it just appears to be for students.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=504-26-213
WAC 504-26-213
Firearms and dangerous weapons.
No student may carry, possess, or use any firearm, explosive (including fireworks), dangerous chemical, or any dangerous weapon on university property or in university-approved housing. Airsoft guns and other items that shoot projectiles are not permitted in university-approved housing. Students wishing to maintain a firearm on campus for hunting or sporting activities must store the firearm with the Washington State University department of public safety.

Gene Beasley

imported post

p2a1x7 wrote:
For Washington State University it just appears to be for students.
Partially true; from the Faculty Manual page 30:

14. Possession by a faculty member, on his or her person or otherwise, of a firearm, explosive, or other dangerous weapon within any office, laboratory or classroom building, lecture hall, residence hall, or sports arena on University property, and any immediately contiguous grounds, walkways and malls, except as follows:
a) Those faculty members who also are authorized law enforcement officers shall be permitted to carry arms while on duty and engaged in regular activities of law enforcement.
b) Faculty members with firearms in their possession shall be permitted to travel enroute to or from the University-provided storage facilities. Such facilities shall be available twenty-four hours per day for short- or long-term firearm storage.
c) Activities requiring use of the prohibited items by faculty members may be conducted upon approval by the Board of Regents or their designee.
d) Nothing in this article is intended to restrict the lawful possession by faculty members of firearms in privately owned vehicles on the University campus, within University-owned housing other than residence halls, or on other University property not specifically indicated above.
Sounds like you can take it to and from your locker - unless they're referring to the same locker for student firearms at WSU Public Safety.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Nearly all, if not all, Washington State Universities have Washington Administrative Codes that ban firearms on their campuses. As far as I know, WAC's have the same enforceability and authority as RCW's, because it is the RCW's that give certain organizations the authority to enact WAC's.
That is not the case. They cannot arrest you for violating a WAC. All the WAC is is school policy. If it was law then they could arrest you for being racist or something.

j2l3

imported post

My opinion is that the WAC at the UW is only enforceable on the general public in that the UW Policecan ask you to leave. If you refuse, they can trespass you. My reasoning is listed below. Of course, I am NOT a lawyer, so doing your own research and coming to your own conclusions is recommended.

Conduct on the UW campus.

478-124-020 lists prohibited conduct, one of which is possession of weapons on campus.

478-124-030 lists sanctions for violations.

(1) Any person while on the university campus who willfully refuses the request of a uniformed campus police officer to desist from conduct prohibited by these rules may be required by such officer to leave such premises.

(2) Disciplinary action which may result in dismissal from the university will be initiated against faculty, staff or students who violate these rules, in accordance with the applicable disciplinary codes or other appropriate due process procedures.

(3) Sanctions which may be imposed against faculty are set forth in the University of Washington Handbook, Volume II, Chapter 25, Sections 25-51 and 25-71.

(4) Sanctions which may be imposed against students are set forth in WAC 478-120-040.

(5) Sanctions which may be imposed against classified staff are set forth in the relevant University of Washington labor contract for contract-classified staff, and in Title 357 WAC and applicable university policy for classified nonunion staff.

(6) Sanctions which may be imposed against the professional staff are set forth in the University of Washington Professional Staff Program.

(7) Violation of any of the above regulations may also constitute violation of the criminal laws or ordinances of the city of Seattle, State of Washington, or the United States and may subject a violator to criminal sanctions in addition to any sanctions imposed by the university.

Nowhere are criminal penalties mentioned, because there are none. Staff and students can be sanctioned. Anyone else can be asked to leave. Refusal then would fall under criminal trespass statutes.

Laws do not tell us what we can do, they tell us what we cannot do. If there is no law against something, then it is by default, legal activity.

Going a step further:

RCW 9.41.280 Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities – penalty – exceptions

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

This RCW doesn’t apply to the university because it is not a primary or secondary school.

RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places – Local laws and ordinances – Exceptions – Penalty.

Nowhere in this RCW does it mention schools at all, let alone universities. Therefore it also does not apply.

Therefore, there is no criminal penalty for possession of a firearm on campus. There are sanctions against students and staff, but not on other citizens other than asked to leave and then charged with criminal trespass if they refused to leave campus when directed by the campus police.

Technically, Seattle PD cannot ask one to leave the campus for weapons possession. The WAC says specifically a uniformed campus police officer must make the request.

I

inNV

imported post

So you are not alllowed per the school, but it is not illegal. As long as you can't get arrested or lose your license and/or firearm, concealed is concealed. Although I guess it is a good thing they have those lock boxes. My big issue is not having it driving to and from school. In NV, you can't even have it in your car on a campus. Actually there are provisions that allow you to carry on a campus...either you are law enforcement, or you can get written permission from the president..which never happens. I would be fine leaving it in a lock box...U Dub is looking pretty good...

Dr. Fresh

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Dr. Fresh wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Nearly all, if not all, Washington State Universities have Washington Administrative Codes that ban firearms on their campuses. As far as I know, WAC's have the same enforceability and authority as RCW's, because it is the RCW's that give certain organizations the authority to enact WAC's.
That is not the case. They cannot arrest you for violating a WAC. All the WAC is is school policy. If it was law then they could arrest you for being racist or something.
So, if the WAC is not statutory in nature at the state level, then how can Washington State Universities violate preemption and ban firearms?
Your guess is as good as mine.

I would venture that preemption doesn't mention schools, only municipalities, counties, cities, etc.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Dr. Fresh wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Dr. Fresh wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
So, if the WAC is not statutory in nature at the state level, then how can Washington State Universities violate preemption and ban firearms?
Your guess is as good as mine.

I would venture that preemption doesn't mention schools, only municipalities, counties, cities, etc.
Except that we are talking about state universities here. We are not talking about private universities or private property. The state universities, if they are simply banning firearms without the force of statute, are no different then, say, the Department of Licensing. The DOL CANNOT ban firearms in their offices, because of state preemption, because they have no statutory authority to do so.

My point is, if we say the WACs have no statutory authority, then we also say that the state universities CANNOT ban firearms because of preemption. Obviously private universities can because they are private entities and not state entities.
That makes perfect sense to me, but I'm not rich enough to be the test case.

Window_Seat

imported post

Just for info, I went last Thursday and applied for my CPL. The process was actually quite a pleasant one for me. I went to the Clark County Sheriff's Office, and had a bit of trouble finding a parking spot, but eventually found one. When I showed up, I saw nothing but parking meters (I should have known), so I went to the bank and got some "meter feed". After I finally got parked, I walked upstairs, and while noone was standing in line for any services, I was able to get assistance right away. The lady (who was extremely pleasant) immediately helped me with my application (which was already filled out).

Ultimately, I paid the 55.00 for the fee, did my fingerprints & the entire process took around 1/2 hour.

Yes, as far as my observations so far, Washington is very friendly, even with the left being the left. As far as what I have read about the Mayor of Seattle, it seems like he's all ruff ruff bark bark, but no bite bite, so I wouldn't worry too much about Seattle.

Erik.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Window_Seat wrote:
Just for info, I went last Thursday and applied for my CPL. The process was actually quite a pleasant one for me. I went to the Clark County Sheriff's Office, and had a bit of trouble finding a parking spot, but eventually found one. When I showed up, I saw nothing but parking meters (I should have known), so I went to the bank and got some "meter feed". After I finally got parked, I walked upstairs, and while noone was standing in line for any services, I was able to get assistance right away. The lady (who was extremely pleasant) immediately helped me with my application (which was already filled out).

Ultimately, I paid the 55.00 for the fee, did my fingerprints & the entire process took around 1/2 hour.

Yes, as far as my observations so far, Washington is very friendly, even with the left being the left. As far as what I have read about the Mayor of Seattle, it seems like he's all ruff ruff bark bark, but no bite bite, so I wouldn't worry too much about Seattle.

Erik.
Did you get the CPL right there, or are they going to mail it to you?

Mine was printed and laminated on the spot. Was awesome.

Window_Seat

imported post

I should have indicated that earlier. I have not lived here in WA at all, (California most of my life), but in a few weeks, I'll have a place in Vancouver.

Erik.

joeroket wrote:
Window_Seat wrote:
No, my fingerprints were taken, and then they told me "60 days". I said "Could it be less", and they said, "maybe, 7 days earlier, but no earlier".

Erik.

How long have you been living here?

joeroket

imported post

Window_Seat wrote:
I should have indicated that earlier.  I have not lived here in WA at all, (California most of my life), but in a few weeks, I'll have a place in Vancouver.

Erik.

joeroket wrote:
Window_Seat wrote:
No, my fingerprints were taken, and then they told me "60 days".  I said "Could it be less", and they said, "maybe, 7 days earlier, but no earlier".

Erik.

How long have you been living here?

Ahhh. What she told you is perfectly factual with the exception that they have up to 60 days to issue it. Some members have received their non-resident CPL very quickly.