• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lexington/Central KY OC Outing

8th ID

imported post

I know this is short notice, but I thought we might as well keep the (2 month:cool:) tradition going.

So, how about a July OC outing in Lexington? Well, OK, not really July, but how does Saturday, August 1st sound?

Breakfast or lunch. Anyone interested? Post interest and ideas...

langzaiguy

imported post

I'm in for the first! I'm flexible as to times and locations. Cracker Barrel is always a favorite but we've already done CB. I've been wanting to go to a BBQ place on the Northside on New Circle. Don't know if they serve alcohol there or not.

8th ID

imported post

Hey, I know this was short notice, but we managed to have 7 the first time, surely we can get more than 3!!! And anyone want to suggest a location...

mellio

imported post

gutshot wrote:
8th ID wrote:
Hey, I know this was short notice, but we managed to have 7 the first time, surely we can get more than 3!!! And anyone want to suggest a location...
Why not go into the belly of the beast? Why not go downtown to some artsy-fartsy place?
I see no reason for this at all. By going to a place where you know you are not wanted will only "stir the crap" so to speak. If you want open carry to be more accepted going in places where you are only going to make the people mad will not acomplish your goals and will make you look like your just out to cause trouble. You may even be seen as just being out to start troubleby some people that you could have "converted" to your cause. I know when I see other groups that have an agenda try to force feed there ideas on people they know they have no chance at converting I think badly of them and wonder why waste there time, money and resources on a lost cause. There are some people that you are never going to change "artsy fartsy" people are some of those people. There are some people that if you present themwith a resonable presentation of your beliefs in a way that is not force feeding them they may see your point and consider your ideas further. I think we need to remember that we are currently "Winning" the argument of open carry. Although there are many cases of harrasment from civilians and LEO. The law is currently on our side and what needs to be done is more of a winning of hearts and minds than merely stirring the pot. Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

8th ID

imported post

to mellio: I see your point. And I mainly agree, but OC is a constitutionally guaranteed RIGHT. NOW what would the Artsy-Fartsy Liberal crowd do if they were told they couldn't go and speak at let's say, an anti-abortion rally which would basically take away their freedom of speech? They would break their necks getting down there...

That said, I do not want an abortion debate,I was just using that as an example...

Now, back on topic...I don't care where we eat lunch. SureI would like it to be an opportunity to educate people, but mainlyI wanted to do it to have lunch with men and women who enjoy their 2a right...andI usually get hungry about lunch time:celebrate

So, this Saturday...what time...place...let's get something scheduled...

8th ID

imported post

I believe a better way to educate people, that is, if people are really interested in educating would be to OC in downtown Lexingtonon the street near the farmer's market on a Saturday morning and pass out copies of all the KRS statutes, OAG's and court cases that make our case. Oh yeah, and maybe copies of the 2A:dude:You Know from the CONSTITUTION:banghead:

langzaiguy

imported post

I really have been wanting to go to the farmer's market in town. Are there places to eat there for breakfast, lunch, brunch?

8th ID

imported post

I'm not sure about places to eat down there. But we'd have to go very early to be with a big crowd.

I'm just wanting to get something scheduled for a lunch or something.

Someone just throw something out there...

It doesn't have to at any certain place...I'm very flexible...

Liberty4Ever

imported post

I'll be out of town Friday and Saturday. I'll be at Fancy Farm in western Kentucky. It's Kentucky's biggest political rally. I'll be there promoting pro-2A candidates, mainly Rand Paul for US Senate. http://www.RandPaul2010.com

I'll be at the open carry breakfast/lunch in spirit. Y'all have fun.

I'd also agree that going to the same place where OC is readily accepted reduces the educational value, although I like Cracker Barrel on I-75 because it allows us to spread the message outside Kentucky. I imagine some New Jersey travelers getting quite a good education!

I'd like to push some boundaries a little but I respect property rights. I wouldn't want to fight my way through a bunch of annoying anti-gun nuts exercising their right to free speech when I was at a private shooting range, and I'd expect the property owner to ask them to leave. Similarly, I wouldn't want to go to some private property that's inhabited by rabidly anti-gun people and open carry to make a point. I would like to have OC events in public places because I think that makes the best point and there is no legal recourse. On private property, we can be asked to leave and if we don't leave we'd be trespassing. That sounds like a win for anti-gun forces.

I'm very optimistic about the Open Carry Picnic at Jabobson Park. We need a LOT of people open carrying there. If we promote it well, we could have 100 people there, and it could be at least an annual event. That would be a pro-2A win.

There are so many positive things we could do. I'm looking forward to flexing our political muscle a little and exerting our rights to educate people so they understand their rights, because rights not practiced are rights lost.

8th ID

imported post

I'll be there. Also Lang... and Spioi..makes no difference to me, but why don't we make it lunch. Let's say noon or 1 p.m.

Location, well I'm up for anythinmg, anyone want to make a suggestion?

langzaiguy

imported post

Any particular part of town? I don't have much of a preference either--maybe Old KY BBQ? (771 East New Circle). Lunch works fine for me, btw.

langzaiguy

imported post

Well guys, I know it's kind of a crappy thing to do, but I have family coming unexpectedly into town (isn't that how family operates?) The meet kind of originated with me and 8th was kind enough to start a thread and start things rolling. Apologies.

8th ID

imported post

Well. Talk about STRANGE! We got a call tonight-my mother-in-law is in the hospital in Louisville.

I will be spending the weekend in Louisvile..

Sorry to all who may have already changed/made plans for this OC outing...

On the bright side-I think we are going to have one excellent picnic on the 29th:celebrate