Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Anti's at work

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington KY, ,
    Posts
    306

    Post imported post

    Just a quick post. Some anti's at work: "Why do you feel the need to carry a gun?"

    Some of my responses:

    Me: Do you lock your doors at night?

    Anti: Yes

    Me: Why?

    ALSO-

    Me: I carry a gun because my life is worth protecting.

    Me: I carry a gun to protect my family.

    Me: I carry a gun because it's a constitutional right.

    AND one I haven't gotten to use yet: If a woman says that the 2A needs to be abolished, I'm going to say, sure, why not, and while we're at it let's abolish the 19th Amendment, the one that gives you the right to vote:celebrate

    What are some of the answers you give? Post them so I can use them




  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Near Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    122

    Post imported post

    Why do I carry a gun?

    Because a cop is too heavy.
    For the same reason police officers carry.
    Because when seconds count, the police are minutes away.
    Because I can't afford bodyguards like celebrities and politicians.
    Because its wrong to allow the young and strong to prey upon the old and weak.
    Because thieves, rapists, and murderers don't always listen when you tell them NO.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    Because I can.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington KY, ,
    Posts
    306

    Post imported post

    Good Ones! I'm putting some of these to use soon

  5. #5
    Regular Member Statesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    Because the KY constitution, section 1 says "Seventh: The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons."

    http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Legresou/Constitu/001.htm

    That last part is important to say also, because it shows OC ostensibly cannot be regulated.


    My personal fav: SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States) has ruled that the police have no duty to protect the individual, in favor of protecting society.


  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    107

    Post imported post

    I tell em I don't think protecting my family should be someone elses responsibility. or I'll say I don't want to be killed by some punk over 10 bucks in my pocket. if they say just do what they want and they'll leave you alone i tell them that worked wonders at virginia tech, cho must have missed that memo.I can get pretty vicious when ppl insinuate that self defense is somehow morally irresponsible. it would be more irresponsible to allow them to attack you and move on to another victim because you refused to defend yourself. if their next victim died you'd be feeling pretty stupid.

    ask em why they have homeowners insurance.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington KY, ,
    Posts
    306

    Post imported post

    Good ones!

    Here's one I heard on this forum somewhere: A man took his daughter to Waffle House and was sitting at the bar area. A woman came up to him and asked him in an aggressive manner why he carried a gun. He pointed to his young daughter and said, "I'm her bodyguard." The woman was silent. Priceless

  8. #8
    Regular Member Statesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    Another good response to such hostility, is just silence. If they continue to be beligerent about it, you can ask them to please stop harassing you.

  9. #9
    Regular Member mellio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    101

    Post imported post

    A Waffle House with a Bar!! That's where I used to go to sober upafter the bars!:celebrate

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    spioi wrote:
    I tell em I don't think protecting my family should be someone elses responsibility.
    Thank you. You jogged something for me. We can always adapt Jeff Snyder's observation from A Nation of Cowards. The result would be:

    "Because it is immoral toinsist someone else to risk their life to protect me."
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    87

    Post imported post

    Because I can.



    Because cops are too heavy to carry around.



    Because I am old and out of shape.



    Why do you have insurance for your car? You planning to crash today?

    I have insurance for my House, my Car, my Life, and my Health. This is just insurance for my safety.

    The idea of calling the cops after I get mugged and beaten is less appealing than stopping someone from mugging and beating me.

    Because the cops come AFTER something bad has happened. This is the same as a smoke alarm. The firemen come AFTER the smoke alarm.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington KY, ,
    Posts
    306

    Post imported post

    ALL good ones!!!!

  13. #13
    Regular Member Thos.Jefferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    just south of the river, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    288

    Post imported post

    The best answer I can think of is given in the form of a question "Why aren't you?"
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

  14. #14
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291

    Post imported post

    Why?

    Because I have seen the ugliness this world has to offer. This world is no longer the place your grandparents grew up in. There are those that will do harm to others for mere pleasure and I for one will not tolerate being a victim.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    One thing I don't discuss with co-workers is guns. Work is work, what I do outside of there is none of their business
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Confederate Territory, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    Statesman wrote:
    Because the KY constitution, section 1 says "Seventh: The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons."

    http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Legresou/Constitu/001.htm

    That last part is important to say also, because it shows OC ostensibly cannot be regulated.

    You boy scouts need to brush up on your history just a wee bit.

    What people on here like to quote isn`t the original Ky. Constitution. It was changed by politicians to allow the banning of concealed carry after the Ky Supreme Court overturned ( Bliss vs. Commonwealth 12 KY. , 90 1822 ) a law passed in 1813 to ban concealed carry.

    The true Kentucky Constitution protected concealed as well as open carry. Politicians could again change the wording of the Constitution to outlaw open carry just as they did with concealed carry.

    Would a simple wording change on the Ky Constitution by politicians suddenly make all open carry people dishonest as many on here claim concealed carry folks to be ?

    OC can be regulated with a Constitution wording change by politicians just as concealed carry has been done in the past. Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington KY, ,
    Posts
    306

    Post imported post

    I'm not sure what you mean when you say people on here saying that people who cc are dishonest. I don't remember anyone on here saying that.

    AND most of the members thatI know on this forum also have their cc license

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    917

    Post imported post

    @Hellbilly: Despite your post's condescending tone, I think what you posted is really interesting, so I looked into it further:

    The original KY Constitution reads, "The rights of citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be infringed."
    http://courts.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/74...nstitution.pdf
    (Bottom of page 9)

    As far as the possibility of changing the Constitution further to ban open carry goes, I think it would be unlikely. Congress did changed the wording of that seventh section to give the General Assembly power to regulate conceal carry. However, that was only done in the new writing of the Constitution of 1850, as proposed by the constitutional convention.

    So to ban open carry, we would either have to adopt a new constitution, or make an amendment. To make an amendment, 60% of the House and Senate would have to agree to amend. The next election, the majority of Kentuckians would have to approve the measure.

    This certainly could happen, but I'm inclined to think that citizens (and representatives) of the Commonwealth wouldn't pass such measures. Perhaps that's wishful thinking.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    owensboro, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    70

    Post imported post

    anyone tried to o/c at autozone? the reason i ask

    is a friend of mine just started carring and works

    at autozone was told the not only could he not carry

    at work but he could not have the gun in his car,

    i'm going to test this as a customer sometime this week,

    this is a stripmall autozone and not a corp.owned store or parking lot,

    and there are no signs posted.



  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington KY, ,
    Posts
    306

    Post imported post

    There is nothing the management can do except ask a CUSTOMER to leave.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    owensboro, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    70

    Post imported post

    8th ID wrote:
    There is nothing the management can do except ask a CUSTOMER to leave.
    i know,but i'm more concerned about my friend losing his job

    because he is going to refuse,to leave his gun at home,

    instead of keeping in his car while he is at work.

    thanks 8th ID

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington KY, ,
    Posts
    306

    Post imported post

    I guess it would be up to your friend as to whether his job is that important.

    I work at a place where Federal Law prohibits carry and even having a firearm in my car. It's a great job with security, so I go by the rules, also I could go to jail.

    When driving to work is the only time i don't have a firearm...

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Louisville, Commonwealth of Kentucky, , USA
    Posts
    122

    Post imported post

    If he works at an Autozone in teh state of Kentucky, then state law protects his right to have a firearm in his car while parked in the store parking lot. Unless he drives a car belonging to autozone, then they cant do anything about it. It even provides recourse against any company who punishes him for said gun.

  24. #24
    Regular Member mellio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    101

    Post imported post

    http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/237-00/106.PDFThis link should give you the info you need .Your employercan't tell you not to have a gun in YOUR car no matter where it's parked. IMO Kentucky law is really pretty goodfor gun owners.

  25. #25
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291

    Post imported post

    stormchaser wrote:
    anyone tried to o/c at autozone? the reason i ask

    is a friend of mine just started carring and works

    at autozone was told the not only could he not carry

    at work but he could not have the gun in his car,

    i'm going to test this as a customer sometime this week,

    this is a stripmall autozone and not a corp.owned store or parking lot,

    and there are no signs posted.

    Autozone does not have a policy against customers carrying. I have ongoing dialog with them at corporate over a manager asking me to leave a store in Washington. As soon as I have a letter I will post it.


    In regard to not being able to lock it in a vehicle (In Kentucky)? See the following:
    KRS 237.106
    Employers not permitted to prohibit weapons on property, if kept in a vehicle on that property
    (1) No person, including but not limited to an employer, who is the owner, lessee, or occupant of real property shall prohibit any person who is legally entitled to possess a firearm from possessing a firearm, part of a firearm, ammunition, or ammunition component in a vehicle on the property.
    (2) A person, including but not limited to an employer, who owns, leases, or otherwise occupies real property may prevent a person who is prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm or ammunition from possessing a firearm or ammunition on the property.
    (3) A firearm may be removed from the vehicle or handled in the case of self-defense, defense of another, defense of property, or as authorized by the owner, lessee, or occupant of the property.
    (4) An employer that fires, disciplines, demotes, or otherwise punishes an employee who is lawfully exercising a right guaranteed by this section, and who is engaging in conduct in compliance with this statute shall be liable in civil damages. An employee may seek and the court shall grant an injunction against an employer who is violating the provisions of this section when it is found that the employee is in compliance with the provisions of this section.
    (5) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any real property:
    (a) Owned, leased, or occupied by the United States government upon which the possession or carrying of firearms is prohibited or controlled;
    (b) Of a detention facility as defined in KRS 520.010; or
    (c) Where a section of the Kentucky Revised Statutes specifically prohibits possession or carrying of firearms on the property.




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •