• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti's at work

8th ID

imported post

Just a quick post. Some anti's at work: "Why do you feel the need to carry a gun?"

Some of my responses:

Me: Do you lock your doors at night?

Anti: Yes

Me: Why?

ALSO-

Me: I carry a gun because my life is worth protecting.

Me: I carry a gun to protect my family.

Me: I carry a gun because it's a constitutional right.

AND one I haven't gotten to use yet: If a woman says that the 2A needs to be abolished, I'm going to say, sure, why not, and while we're at it let's abolish the 19th Amendment, the one that gives you the right to vote:celebrate

What are some of the answers you give? Post them so I can use them:D

KY_CCDW

imported post

Why do I carry a gun?

Because a cop is too heavy.
For the same reason police officers carry.
Because when seconds count, the police are minutes away.
Because I can't afford bodyguards like celebrities and politicians.
Because its wrong to allow the young and strong to prey upon the old and weak.
Because thieves, rapists, and murderers don't always listen when you tell them NO.

Statesman

imported post

Because the KY constitution, section 1 says "Seventh: The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons."

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Legresou/Constitu/001.htm

That last part is important to say also, because it shows OC ostensibly cannot be regulated.

My personal fav: SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States) has ruled that the police have no duty to protect the individual, in favor of protecting society.

spioi

imported post

I tell em I don't think protecting my family should be someone elses responsibility. or I'll say I don't want to be killed by some punk over 10 bucks in my pocket. if they say just do what they want and they'll leave you alone i tell them that worked wonders at virginia tech, cho must have missed that memo.I can get pretty vicious when ppl insinuate that self defense is somehow morally irresponsible. it would be more irresponsible to allow them to attack you and move on to another victim because you refused to defend yourself. if their next victim died you'd be feeling pretty stupid.

ask em why they have homeowners insurance.

8th ID

imported post

Good ones!

Here's one I heard on this forum somewhere: A man took his daughter to Waffle House and was sitting at the bar area. A woman came up to him and asked him in an aggressive manner why he carried a gun. He pointed to his young daughter and said, "I'm her bodyguard." The woman was silent. Priceless:lol:

Statesman

imported post

Another good response to such hostility, is just silence. If they continue to be beligerent about it, you can ask them to please stop harassing you.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

spioi wrote:
I tell em I don't think protecting my family should be someone elses responsibility.
Thank you. You jogged something for me. We can always adapt Jeff Snyder's observation from A Nation of Cowards. The result would be:

"Because it is immoral toinsist someone else to risk their life to protect me."

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
imported post

Because I can.

Because cops are too heavy to carry around.

Because I am old and out of shape.

Why do you have insurance for your car? You planning to crash today?

I have insurance for my House, my Car, my Life, and my Health. This is just insurance for my safety.

The idea of calling the cops after I get mugged and beaten is less appealing than stopping someone from mugging and beating me.

Because the cops come AFTER something bad has happened. This is the same as a smoke alarm. The firemen come AFTER the smoke alarm.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Why?

Because I have seen the ugliness this world has to offer. This world is no longer the place your grandparents grew up in. There are those that will do harm to others for mere pleasure and I for one will not tolerate being a victim.

Hellbilly

imported post

Statesman wrote:
Because the KY constitution, section 1 says "Seventh: The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons."

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Legresou/Constitu/001.htm

That last part is important to say also, because it shows OC ostensibly cannot be regulated.

You boy scouts need to brush up on your history just a wee bit.

What people on here like to quote isn`t the original Ky. Constitution. It was changed by politicians to allow the banning of concealed carry after the Ky Supreme Court overturned ( Bliss vs. Commonwealth 12 KY. , 90 1822 ) a law passed in 1813 to ban concealed carry.

The true Kentucky Constitution protected concealed as well as open carry. Politicians could again change the wording of the Constitution to outlaw open carry just as they did with concealed carry.

Would a simple wording change on the Ky Constitution by politicians suddenly make all open carry people dishonest as many on here claim concealed carry folks to be ?

OC can be regulated with a Constitution wording change by politicians just as concealed carry has been done in the past. Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.

8th ID

imported post

I'm not sure what you mean when you say people on here saying that people who cc are dishonest. I don't remember anyone on here saying that.

AND most of the members thatI know on this forum also have their cc license

langzaiguy

imported post

@Hellbilly: Despite your post's condescending tone, I think what you posted is really interesting, so I looked into it further:

The original KY Constitution reads, "The rights of citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be infringed."
http://courts.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/7471028C-8BCC-41A2-BA80-02013D4FA550/0/1stKYConstitution.pdf
(Bottom of page 9)

As far as the possibility of changing the Constitution further to ban open carry goes, I think it would be unlikely. Congress did changed the wording of that seventh section to give the General Assembly power to regulate conceal carry. However, that was only done in the new writing of the Constitution of 1850, as proposed by the constitutional convention.

So to ban open carry, we would either have to adopt a new constitution, or make an amendment. To make an amendment, 60% of the House and Senate would have to agree to amend. The next election, the majority of Kentuckians would have to approve the measure.

This certainly could happen, but I'm inclined to think that citizens (and representatives) of the Commonwealth wouldn't pass such measures. Perhaps that's wishful thinking.

stormchaser

imported post

anyone tried to o/c at autozone? the reason i ask

is a friend of mine just started carring and works

at autozone was told the not only could he not carry

at work but he could not have the gun in his car,

i'm going to test this as a customer sometime this week,

this is a stripmall autozone and not a corp.owned store or parking lot,

and there are no signs posted.