Thread: All courts under Washington jurisdiction..?

Post imported post

Do all courts that fall under Washington State jurisdiction, or a sub division (County, city) of the State have to provide a lock box or other method of storage for individuals who carry their pistol onto the premises for legitimate business at the court?

I sent emails to King County Superior Court and Washington State Supreme court inquiring about it, and these are the responses I received:

Washington State Supreme Court:

RE: Checking weapons at Washington Supreme Court‏ From: OFFICE RECEPTIONIST, CLERK

No.

Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:16 AM
    To: OFFICE RECEPTIONIST, CLERK
    Subject: Checking weapons at Washington Supreme Court

Washington State Supreme Court/Clerks Office,

I would like to know if Washington State Supreme Court provides a lock box for individuals who possess a Concealed Pistol License to check their weapon at while doing official business at the court, in accordance to the 5th paragraph of RCW 9.41.300

Thank you,

Aaron

------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: Checking weapons at the court‏ From: Millard, Denise (denise.millard@kingcounty.gov) on behalf of CustomerServiceEmail, DJA

Dear Aaron,

When you come into the court house let the screener know you need to check a weapon and they will have a sheriff assist you.

Thank you for contacting the King County Superior Court Clerk’s Office.

Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:14 AM
    To: CustomerServiceEmail, DJA
    Subject: Checking weapons at the court

King County Clerks Office,

I would like to know if King County Superior Court provides a lock box for individuals who possess a Concealed Pistol License to check their weapon at while doing official business at the court, in accordance to the 5th paragraph of RCW 9.41.300

Thank you,

Aaron

Post imported post

All are supposed to. Not all do.

Post imported post

Not completely true Dean. They must either provide a lockbox or an official to take possession of it for safe keeping during the visit to the court.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

RCW 9.41.300
    Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.

(Paragraph 5)
    In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

Post imported post

joeroket,

I think deanf is claiming that some courts, in fact, to not actually comply with this law. Haven't there been reports right here on OCDO of people showing up at some court facility and having problems?

Post imported post

Does that include the Washington State Supreme Court as well? I would think so, but it said "local".

Post imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
    Does that include the Washington State Supreme Court as well? I would think so, but it said "local".
    "Local legislative authority" means the Countylegislative authority that hasmaintenance responsibilities forthe particular court buildingin question. That would include the WashingtonStateSupreme Court as being in Olimpia and Thurston County. The RCW regarding this isbelow...

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=36.32.120

And another page just for fun...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Supreme_Court

Post imported post

kparker wrote:
    joeroket,

I think deanf is claiming that some courts, in fact, to not actually comply with this law. Haven't there been reports right here on OCDO of people showing up at some court facility and having problems?
    To my knowledge it has been the person trying to check the firearm that has been the problem and not actually the court.

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

To my knowledge it has been the person trying to check the firearm that has been the problem and not actually the court.
    When?

Post imported post

kparker wrote: Thanks. I had either had forgot those or never read them.