• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kitsap Sun: Gun protest worked - park gun ban repealed!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://pugetsoundblogs.com/kitsap-caucus/2009/07/23/the-gun-protest-worked

The Gun Protest Worked

In late May the group OpenCarry.org had a barbecue in Silverdale and they came packing heat. State law allows it. County law doesn’t. KUOW had a story, too.

The group’s members were making the point that the county should undo its law, written in 1971, because state law trumps it. They had done the same kind of event a year earlier.

On Monday the county commissioners are scheduled to vote on whether to remove the open-carry gun ban from parks.

heresolong

imported post

My response to the comment that "guns don't belong in parks".

Sharon,

A couple points in response to your posting above.

Keep in mind that criminals will never obey this law. The "need requiring the wearing of guns" is to allow for the defense of self and others against those who mean you harm. Banning guns has never stopped a criminal, and in fact banning guns has encouraged criminals to target the area that is known to be safe for the criminal. Look at shootings around the country. They generally occur in areas in which law abiding citizens are prohibited from carrying the means of self defense: schools, universities, states without legal carry. When was the last time you heard about a mass shooting at a gun show or a police station. Just doesn't happen.

Secondly, if you don't want your children to grow up in an armed society you may wish to consider the alternative. Societies in which guns are the sole province of the government do not stay free societies for very long. History is replete with examples.

The facts are that your children are safer when there are people with guns around who are ready and willing to protect them, and society is safer when the government does not control the only arms.

spike89

imported post

It still has to be voted on... don't be surprised if the commissioners do something nutty.

-Bauer votes "no" because it somehow might hurt the salmon.
-Garrido votes "no" because the issue needs "more study".
-Brown could go either way... he's a gun owner, but his sister was also just murdered in CA by her boyfriend via a gunshot to the head. That could polarize his opinion in either direction.

OK, so the first two are tongue-in-cheek (but loosely based in truth). The story about Brown's sister sadly is true.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

spike89 wrote:
It still has to be voted on... don't be surprised if the commissioners do something nutty.

-Bauer votes "no" because it somehow might hurt the salmon.
-Garrido votes "no" because the issue needs "more study".
-Brown could go either way... he's a gun owner, but his sister was also just murdered in CA by her boyfriend via a gunshot to the head. That could polarize his opinion in either direction.

OK, so the first two are tongue-in-cheek (but loosely based in truth). The story about Brown's sister sadly is true.
Will they hold a hearing where folks can speak?if so, a great open carry opportunity.

MadHatter66

imported post

The meeting is open to the public, It will be at 7pm in the BOCC Chambers at the Court House complex in Port Orchard, 614 Division St to be exact... I am planning on being there, and wondering who else might join me to speak to our wonderful commissioners

Public hearing to consider an Ordinance amending Kitsap County Code
KITSAP COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS AGENDA – JULY 27, 2009
10.12.080, regulating the possession and use of weapons in county-owned parks. Staff Contact: Arvilla Ohlde, 337-5355.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I will be working so cannot attend, but this is also a good time to address the no firearms sign on the front door.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
I will be working so cannot attend, but this is also a good time to address the no firearms sign on the front door.
What's the rule on that in WA - CPL required to OC in government buildings, right?

Ajetpilot

imported post

I don't know what the effect on the outcome of the vote would be if a bunch of us showed up OC in violation of the county's illegal no weapons sign on the front door. I've got to think about that one. Comments?

MadHatter66

imported post

I was planning on going CC, just to make things a smooth as possible. We can fight the other battle a different day, but right now we have them taking action on something that we asked for and protested against. We don't want to show up like a group of thugs and start in on another policy that isn't even on the agenda, but to say look we were the ones fighting against you, we are here, and are asking for this to be repealed. Making waves could just hamper our cause, illegal law on their part or not... but that is just my $0.02...

Trigger Dr

imported post

If I remember correctly, the last time Ajetpilot brought the issue to them, they wanted "public opinion" before making a decision. Public opinion? on whether or not to obey the law?

I would think that after they have cussed and discussed the matter, it could be pointed out tactfully, that the same law applies to the sign and should be addressed at the same time.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
I don't know what the effect on the outcome of the vote would be if a bunch of us showed up OC in violation of the county's illegal no weapons sign on the front door. I've got to think about that one. Comments?

But the law has actually ALREADY been repealed. This meeting is just a formality.

Since the state law specifically states that these ordinaces are "REPEALED", I don't see why the Code Revisior shouldn't be able to simply remove the offending part of the law citing the State Pre-Emption statute.

That being said, Congradulations on victory. I know you have been working on this for some time.

Now on to Snohomish County to get them to do the same thing.