Thread: Breast-feeding a civil right under new Washington law

Post imported post

"Washington is joining dozens of other states in protecting the rights of mothers who breast-feed their children in public places like movie theaters, parks and shopping malls."
    http://www.katu.com/news/local/51538187.html

Why the heck isn't bearing arms a civil right?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Ummm in this state it is. Read the state constitution much?

Post imported post

Unless it's changed recently, the Federal Circuit Court has determined that it is not a "civil right" in the sense of having one's civil rights restored after conviction.

Odd topic though.

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Then why have I been kicked out of movie theaters and shopping malls for bearing arms?

Post imported post

nathan wrote:
    sv_libertarian wrote:
    Then why have I been kicked out of movie theaters and shopping malls for bearing arms?
    Because if someone came to your home and started breastfeeding her child there, you could ask her to leave.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    nathan wrote:
    sv_libertarian wrote:
    Because if someone came to your home and started breastfeeding her child there, you could ask her to leave.
    Did you read the whole thread? We aren't talking about a home, we're talking about movie theaters and shopping malls where breastfeeding, being a civil right, is protected behavior. If bearing arms is a civil right why is it not protected behavior?

Post imported post

nathan wrote:
    Mainsail wrote:
    nathan wrote:
    sv_libertarian wrote:
    Did you read the whole thread? We aren't talking about a home, we're talking about movie theaters and shopping malls where breastfeeding, being a civil right, is protected behavior. If bearing arms is a civil right why is it not protected behavior?
    Well, no I didn't. I tend to avoid following links when it would be easy enough for the OP to copy the text and paste it in the post. The best I can do is try to figure it out from the context. So it sounds like breastfeeding is allowed on private property regardless of the wishes of the property owner? If so, it may be that they are better at lobbying than we are.

Post imported post

I'm kind of in favor of bare breasts in public.

Post imported post

New Daddy wrote:
    I'm kind of in favor of bare breasts in public.
    Depends on the breasts I guess. They aren't all created equal. :P

Post imported post

So if I suck on a breast while OCing that makes it all OK? :celebrate
    Cause, while the logistics might be daunting, the thought is appealing.

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here

Post imported post

Hammer wrote:
    So if I suck on a breast while OCing that makes it all OK? :celebrate
    Cause, while the logistics might be daunting, the thought is appealing.
    That is on OC picnic I will absolutely be attending!

Post imported post

Private property.
    On the other hand, if the government owns everything, then pre-emption would apply everywhere, so you couldn't get kicked out of theaters anymore.

If so, it may be that they are better at lobbying than we are.
    There is also the fact that few of us are exhibiting something like a plump 19yo rack. If I'm wrong, I've really been getting the wrong PMs.

State Researcher

Post imported post

nathan wrote:
    sv_libertarian wrote:
    Because it's private property and the rights of the property owner trump yours of course.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Actually I thing government overstepped themselves on this one. In public places sure, they can't stop this. But private property is still private property and if the owner doesn't want guns, breast feeding, or annoying white dudes with mullets, they should be able to refuse service.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Actually I thing government overstepped themselves on this one. In public places sure, they can't stop this. But private property is still private property and if the owner doesn't want guns, breast feeding, or annoying white dudes with mullets, they should be able to refuse service.
    Initially, I was inclined to agree with you. But, I wonder.

At a certain point, breast-feeding can be a convergence of conscience (healthy baby food) and biological necessity.

I'm not arguing. Just exploring out loud.

Property rights would seem to allow an owner to say, "No urinating." Yet, many public places seem required to have restrooms for public use.

If the kid has to be fed, and mom really wants all-natural, I'm not convinced property rights would or should automatically outweigh. I'm sure there would be plenty of circumstances where mom could have feeding time before being in public. I can just as easily see mom needing to be in public for extended periods. Or the little one gets hungry at an otherwise terribly inconvenient time.

Of course, it could get kinda interesting with those movie theater policies about no outside food or drink.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Hmmm you raise good points.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Property rights would seem to allow an owner to say, "No urinating." Yet, many public places seem required to have restrooms for public use.

If the kid has to be fed, and mom really wants all-natural, I'm not convinced property rights would or should automatically outweigh. I'm sure there would be plenty of circumstances where mom could have feeding time before being in public. I can just as easily see mom needing to be in public for extended periods. Or the little one gets hungry at an otherwise terribly inconvenient time.

Of course, it could get kinda interesting with those movie theater policies about no outside food or drink.
    I believe that Washington does not require that private businesses have restrooms for public use. Also businesses have the right to refuse services to anyone, so wouldn't that apply to women who take out their boobies for their babies?

Post imported post

p2a1x7 wrote:
    Also businesses have the right to refuse services to anyone, so wouldn't that apply to women who take out their boobies for their babies?
    Businesses do not have the right to refuse services to anyone if that person or that persons actions are a protected civil right.

Apparently that protection, though, needs to be specifically written into the law. Are some civil rights are protected at a state level and some at a federal level?

Post imported post

nathan wrote:
    p2a1x7 wrote:
    Also businesses have the right to refuse services to anyone, so wouldn't that apply to women who take out their boobies for their babies?
    Businesses do not have the right to refuse services to anyone if that person or that persons actions are a protected civil right.

Apparently that protection, though, needs to be specifically written into the law. Are some civil rights are protected at a state level and some at a federal level?

That would actually be a "protected class" of people, not civil right. Civil rights are a different issue from protected classes of people.

Yes, protected classes are different from the federal level to the state or local level.

See this link and its associated links for the details.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    SNIP Of course, it could get kinda interesting with those movie theater policies about no outside food or drink.
    So, as the responding officer, do you ticket mom for breast-feeding?

Or, trespass the baby for enjoying outside food and drink?

I'm so confused.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

FMCDH wrote:
    That would actually be a "protected class" of people, not civil right. Civil rights are a different issue from protected classes of people.

Yes, protected classes are different from the federal level to the state or local level.

See this link and its associated links for the details.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class
    Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

Post imported post

No matter what else you think about the subject it sure gives a whole new approach to the term open carry.

Post imported post

And what if those double barrels loaded and under extreme pressure, could they not be usedas a deadly weapon?
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

jbone,

Or maybe they could be considered an attractive nuisance.