• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Breast-feeding a civil right under new Washington law

cynicist

imported post

Ummm in this state it is. Read the state constitution much?
Unless it's changed recently, the Federal Circuit Court has determined that it is not a "civil right" in the sense of having one's civil rights restored after conviction.

Odd topic though.

Mainsail

imported post

nathan wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Then why have I been kicked out of movie theaters and shopping malls for bearing arms?
Because if someone came to your home and started breastfeeding her child there, you could ask her to leave.

nathan

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
nathan wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Then why have I been kicked out of movie theaters and shopping malls for bearing arms?
Because if someone came to your home and started breastfeeding her child there, you could ask her to leave.
Did you read the whole thread? We aren't talking about a home, we're talking about movie theaters and shopping malls where breastfeeding, being a civil right, is protected behavior. If bearing arms is a civil right why is it not protected behavior?

Mainsail

imported post

nathan wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
nathan wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Did you read the whole thread? We aren't talking about a home, we're talking about movie theaters and shopping malls where breastfeeding, being a civil right, is protected behavior. If bearing arms is a civil right why is it not protected behavior?
Well, no I didn't. I tend to avoid following links when it would be easy enough for the OP to copy the text and paste it in the post. The best I can do is try to figure it out from the context. So it sounds like breastfeeding is allowed on private property regardless of the wishes of the property owner? If so, it may be that they are better at lobbying than we are.

Hammer

imported post

So if I suck on a breast while OCing that makes it all OK? :celebrate
Cause, while the logistics might be daunting, the thought is appealing. :lol:

cynicist

imported post

Private property.
On the other hand, if the government owns everything, then pre-emption would apply everywhere, so you couldn't get kicked out of theaters anymore.

If so, it may be that they are better at lobbying than we are.
There is also the fact that few of us are exhibiting something like a plump 19yo rack. If I'm wrong, I've really been getting the wrong PMs.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Actually I thing government overstepped themselves on this one. In public places sure, they can't stop this. But private property is still private property and if the owner doesn't want guns, breast feeding, or annoying white dudes with mullets, they should be able to refuse service.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Actually I thing government overstepped themselves on this one. In public places sure, they can't stop this. But private property is still private property and if the owner doesn't want guns, breast feeding, or annoying white dudes with mullets, they should be able to refuse service.
Initially, I was inclined to agree with you. But, I wonder.

At a certain point, breast-feeding can be a convergence of conscience (healthy baby food) and biological necessity.

I'm not arguing. Just exploring out loud.

Property rights would seem to allow an owner to say, "No urinating." Yet, many public places seem required to have restrooms for public use.

If the kid has to be fed, and mom really wants all-natural, I'm not convinced property rights would or should automatically outweigh. I'm sure there would be plenty of circumstances where mom could have feeding time before being in public. I can just as easily see mom needing to be in public for extended periods. Or the little one gets hungry at an otherwise terribly inconvenient time.

Of course, it could get kinda interesting with those movie theater policies about no outside food or drink. :)

p2a1x7

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Property rights would seem to allow an owner to say, "No urinating." Yet, many public places seem required to have restrooms for public use.

If the kid has to be fed, and mom really wants all-natural, I'm not convinced property rights would or should automatically outweigh. I'm sure there would be plenty of circumstances where mom could have feeding time before being in public. I can just as easily see mom needing to be in public for extended periods. Or the little one gets hungry at an otherwise terribly inconvenient time.

Of course, it could get kinda interesting with those movie theater policies about no outside food or drink. :)
I believe that Washington does not require that private businesses have restrooms for public use. Also businesses have the right to refuse services to anyone, so wouldn't that apply to women who take out their boobies for their babies?

nathan

imported post

p2a1x7 wrote:
Also businesses have the right to refuse services to anyone, so wouldn't that apply to women who take out their boobies for their babies?
Businesses do not have the right to refuse services to anyone if that person or that persons actions are a protected civil right.

Apparently that protection, though, needs to be specifically written into the law. Are some civil rights are protected at a state level and some at a federal level?

FMCDH

imported post

nathan wrote:
p2a1x7 wrote:
Also businesses have the right to refuse services to anyone, so wouldn't that apply to women who take out their boobies for their babies?
Businesses do not have the right to refuse services to anyone if that person or that persons actions are a protected civil right.

Apparently that protection, though, needs to be specifically written into the law. Are some civil rights are protected at a state level and some at a federal level?
That would actually be a "protected class" of people, not civil right. Civil rights are a different issue from protected classes of people.

Yes, protected classes are different from the federal level to the state or local level.

See this link and its associated links for the details.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
SNIP Of course, it could get kinda interesting with those movie theater policies about no outside food or drink. :)
So, as the responding officer, do you ticket mom for breast-feeding?

Or, trespass the baby for enjoying outside food and drink?

I'm so confused.

:)