• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teens defend against armed thug

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'd probaly handle this situation much like LEO would, if I came upon this late and didn't see what started it. I wouldn't wade in with my gun, but stand back and order them to break it up and take the position of face down and hands where I could see them. At that point I'd treat them all as suspects until police arrive and let the LE sort it out. I don't think drawing my weapon would be in order either, but I may have my hand on it. I know that I would not be justified in drawing my weapon and using it, unless I saw a weapon, but the brawlers don't know that.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Man that video was crazy. +1 on that kid in the red shorts having serious juevos. I bet his life flashed before his eyes. Kids these days.....

I don't think I would try to get involved in a situation like this, just call the police and be a good witness. If you did draw down on the kid with the gun, he is too close to the kid in the red shorts and you would be at a severe disadvantage because you would be in BIG trouble if you accidentally shot the unarmed kid.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My first instinct, when faced with a weapon, is to arm my self as best I can... I can't speak for everyone's response in such a fashion, but I wonder why this BG didn't have his skull bashed in by a skateboard wheel... Personally, I'd swing until the guy was dead. Where did the gun go, who could the BG get it back?

Personally, I've never hit anyone even half that much and seen them get back up, at all... I'm just plain confused by the video...

Infidel

imported post

ComSec wrote:
thesledhead wrote:
I dint know the proper way to hold a gun was sideways right by your face. (useless gangbangers at least they dont hit much)

pry was not loaded, I have run in to GBs that didnt even know how to load there gun LOL

Comsec, If you turn up your volume you can hear the gun fire...once!

Pay closer attenion to the begining of the video, the banger walked right up to on purpose, like he knew him. Walking in the street behind the car, then procedes up onto the sidewalk and in the kids face.

ocgso

imported post

thesledhead wrote:
I dint know the proper way to hold a gun was sideways right by your face. (useless gangbangers at least they dont hit much)

They hold it that way because that is how it came out of the box :celebrate

On another note, the kid in the red shorts did a great job, but he is lucky he didn't get shot.

Now I want to know two things

What happened to the gun:shock:

And why the H#%% weren't these kids hitting him with their skateboards:D

buster81

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:
Many people talk about coming to the aid of someone in trouble, but here we see the aggressor getting what he deserved. Imagine you are armed and you walk up on a scene where guys are beating another with a skateboard (pretend you didn't see the first part of the video). What do you do?

Call the cops, maybe get some popcorn. Don't stick my hand in somebody else'sdogfight. My gun is mainly for me andmy companions.
+1. My tools of self defense are for me and my family.Most friends are considered family. If I comeupon this scene, I'm getting as far away from these idiots, as fast as I can.

Big Boy

imported post

I agree the kid did pretty well. Shitty position to be in. I also was waiting, expecting one of his friends to chop the guy across the back with a skateboard a few times.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I couldn't figure out what started the beef... 'Looked like the fat banger just walked over 'n stuck a gun in this kids face outta the blue. The kid in the red shorts had some serious stones tho... I was waitin' for somebody to ring the bangers chimes with a skateboard... but it appeared that two fights were goin' on... (one with the banger's homeboy).

Red shorts was a genuine hero... (personal bravery against an immediate deadly threat... unarmed no less)'n you never know what's 'in you' 'til you actually have to 'cowboy up' 'n Do It. The 'gun under the chin' thing was interesting tho... stupid... but interesting. Anybody know the final outcome of this?

Myrighttocarry

imported post

ixtow wrote:
My first instinct, when faced with a weapon, is to arm my self as best I can... I can't speak for everyone's response in such a fashion, but I wonder why this BG didn't have his skull bashed in by a skateboard wheel... Personally, I'd swing until the guy was dead. Where did the gun go, who could the BG get it back?

Personally, I've never hit anyone even half that much and seen them get back up, at all... I'm just plain confused by the video...
No offense Ixtow, but this isn't the movies... knocking people out with one hit isn't realistic unless you're a trained fighter. These kids are far from that, however he did have heart and probably a boat load of adrenaline on his side.

Some people can take punishment, some can't, but you're most likely going to have to beat someone stupid rather than "knocking them out". Now if the kid had some more mass to put behind those punches it could have been lights outfor the BG in this case.

Now of course there are exceptions, but for the most part assume if you hit someone it isn't going to be last of the confrontation unless you're Fedor.

That kids a whole lot braver than I would be with a gun in my face, but that's probably because I would think of the consquences, nevertheless he lived and the BG got part of what he deserved. I wouldn't recommend trying to be a hero though... it's a risky occupation.

FrankC

imported post

Looks like a good job by the kid in the red shorts there, the retread gangsta should be mighty thankful that those kids weren't actually mean and didn't seem to want to do him any real harm. I wouldn't see any reason to interfere in a deal like that as long as they weren't breaking skateboards over the dude's head, I would stop them short of that just to keep them out of jail.

inbox485

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
This brings up a good point.  Many people talk about coming to the aid of someone in trouble, but here we see the aggressor getting what he deserved.  Imagine you are armed and you walk up on a scene where guys are beating another with a skateboard (pretend you didn't see the first part of the video).  What do you do?

I had something like this happen a few years back. I did see the fight start. It was 6 guys with pipe wrenches piling out of a pickup truck like a clown car and beating 2 guys into the pavement at a gas station. I got in the middle most likely saving the two guy's lives. I got out without a scratch (my guardian angel had some serious backup that night). When the police sorted everything out, the two guys turned out to be rival gang members and refused to press charges claiming that the huge gashes in their heads were from slipping and falling over. A buddy of mine who worked at the convenience store told me that one of the guys came back a few weeks latter to thank him and told him how they handled the guys that jumped them. He said they healed up for a few days, got several of their buddies who had M16's, figured out where the other gang's hangout house was and cleaned the place out.

To this day I have severely mixed feelings about assisting even the most innocent appearing victims.

ocgso

imported post

And if you happen upon a situation already in progress, you may be assisting the original aggressor.

In most states, if you are the original aggressor, you lose your right to defend yourself (legally) with your firearm if the situation escalates. This goes for passersby as well.

If you see two strangers arguing, and it looks like one of them could be killed, intervening could put you behind bars as you may be assisting the original aggressor.

My CCH instructor said that he would not come to aid of a stranger for that reason unless he was close by enough to have witnessed the ENTIRE situation.

My 2 cents.

inbox485

imported post

ocgso wrote:
And if you happen upon a situation already in progress, you may be assisting the original aggressor.

In most states, if you are the original aggressor, you lose your right to defend yourself (legally) with your firearm if the situation escalates.  This goes for passersby as well. 

If you see two strangers arguing, and it looks like one of them could be killed, intervening could put you behind bars as you may be assisting the original aggressor.

My CCH instructor said that he would not come to aid of a stranger for that reason unless he was close by enough to have witnessed the ENTIRE situation.

My 2 cents.

As my experience taught me (reinforced really), unless you have known the person for years, you do not know the entire situation. That said, your CCH inst made things a lot more b&w than they are. If I just stood by and watched the two guys die like everybody else was content doing, I would have it on my conscience that I did nothing, and I would never have known why it was a grey area. You live with your failure to act just as you live with you actions.

jay75009

imported post

haha ! i LOVE justice! its a dish best served with a couple nights in recovery :-D cudo's to the skaters, i wish every GB would get a beating like that, maybe they would think more!

D_Weezy

imported post

I don't think he was being a hero, the guy wouldn't let him go about his business. He simply defended himself against an attacker. The gun wielder got what he deserved. Once you have someone beat though, you can not continue to beat them. They will call that excessive force and then begin to lay charges on you. The gun wielder was still holding onto him until the end, when they were broken up. In that case, you keep kicking the crap out of them until they let go of you. What you want in a situation like this, is to be able to defend yourself and retreat unharmed. I saw no problem with it.

ocgso

imported post

inbox485 wrote:
As my experience taught me (reinforced really), unless you have known the person for years, you do not know the entire situation. That said, your CCH inst made things a lot more b&w than they are. If I just stood by and watched the two guys die like everybody else was content doing, I would have it on my conscience that I did nothing, and I would never have known why it was a grey area. You live with your failure to act just as you live with you actions.

I guess I would rather live with no action than to lose time with my family and the job that supports them because I defended the wrong person in a situation where I didn't know the whole story....

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. But at the end of the day I have a family to feed and protect. That ain't gonna happen if I get locked up trying to save a stranger that was the instigator.....

My 2 cents.