• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dayton OC Chapter - Englewood Arts & Crafts Festival

Faitmaker

imported post

It was discussed in last nights meeting that we would meet to walk this festival while open carrying. Lthrnck will be posting the place we are meeting, as a group, on the 8th. We would love to have as many participants as possible to help hand out flyers and talk to the general public about their Ohio open-carry rights.

The Englewood Festival and Arts Commission will host its annual Englewood Festival featuring artisans and entertainers at Centennial Park on Saturday and Sunday, August 8 and 9, 2009.
Festivities begin with the 5k race at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday followed immediately by the Festival Parade at 9:00. The parade begins at Union Boulevard and Gateway Drive and concludes at Centennial Park .
Artisan booths open at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday and 11 a.m. on Sunday. The Northmont Marching Band will kick off the entertainment at noon on Saturday.
Events on Sunday include a Volksmarch with registration beginning at 8 a.m., a Cruise-In with E/Rider car, truck and bike show with registration beginning at 10 a.m. and musical entertainment beginning with the Englewood Civic Band at 1 p.m.

Brian D.

imported post

That Lthrnck is not only the artsy-crafsty type, he's a sentimental ol' Marine too...:lol:

The above is a good natured inside joke: That festival in Englewood is where the PD hassled him about open carry, and set off a chain of the kind of litigious events that open carriers are all too familiar with...Looks like Lthrnck bringin' his posse this time.:cool:

Makarov

imported post

This is off topic but I wanted to share this experience I had today at Vandellia Tactical gun store.

Iwas carrying concealed at the time but I had a conversation with one of the salesmen who was a retired police officer. The conversation started with concealed carry but lead into open carry which he was opposed to.

He stated:if I saw you walking down the street carrying openly, that hewould stop and detain. Even if I was just walking my dog. Then I posed the question...why would you do that when I have not committed a crime. He said because it was unusual and it gave him resonable suspicion.He asked why would you open carry! Maybe I am just excercising my constitional right. And he stated again...Why would you open carry andI said that it is my right.

I replied: why would a person be stopped for performing a completely legal action and not committinga crime.He replied, you are axciting violence. So if Iam walking my dog opening carrying I would be alarming people and that is what you would arrest me on. He replied yes, ThenI said then you have committed a crime. "Violation of my civil liberties while under colors". He said, if you stated to a cop then you might get something more that hand cuffed.

Then I said, so because you don't like the law you would do that. Then you are playing on emotions and not the law. he didn't like that. Overall we shook hands and said no harm no foul and then I was on my way. There was a lot more to the story, but that would be probably like starting a preface of a book.

Folks this is what I gathered from this conversation. He recents people from exerting there rights. Its about power. If this is typical of police then, they are just like Congress and the President. Criminals dont open carry. I believe Police officers need more training on senarios and how to talk to people. I am not anti COP, but I do feel that more education from the top down does need to be mandated in the police departments concerning this issue. I would be willing to brief anyone at the acedemy that people are not servants of the police, they work for us.

Faitmaker

imported post

Continuing the off-topic, I have never liked going to that store. They have always had an elitist attitude. I prefer Vandalia Armory, Olde English Outfitters, or Dayton Armory.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Makarov wrote:
He stated:if I saw you walking down the street carrying openly, that hewould stop and detain. Even if I was just walking my dog. Then I posed the question...why would you do that when I have not committed a crime. He said because it was unusual and it gave him resonable suspicion.He asked why would you open carry! Maybe I am just excercising my constitional right. And he stated again...Why would you open carry andI said that it is my right.

I replied: why would a person be stopped for performing a completely legal action and not committinga crime.He replied, you are axciting violence. So if Iam walking my dog opening carrying I would be alarming people and that is what you would arrest me on. He replied yes, ThenI said then you have committed a crime. "Violation of my civil liberties while under colors". He said, if you stated to a cop then you might get something more that hand cuffed.
Wow. :uhoh:Thank goodness he's no longer an LEO.

Makarov wrote:
I believe Police officers need more training on senarios and how to talk to people. I am not anti COP, but I do feel that more education from the top down does need to be mandated in the police departments concerning this issue.

Like you, I am not anti-LEO. I have three friends who are sheriff's deputies, and I have the utmost respect for the profession. But sadlythe problem is not lack of education. Most LEOs know open carry is legal, and most know it is unlawful for them to detain someone without RAS. The problem is that many of them don't care - they don't like open carry, and they want to harass you regardless of what the law says. Education won't fix this problem.

Faitmaker

imported post

Well, I definitely plan on being there as well as my friend whom you met last Thursday. I have printed off 50 flyers and 50 tri-fold. Do you want more?

IxionDeece

imported post

Faitmaker wrote:
Well, I definitely plan on being there as well as my friend whom you met last Thursday. I have printed off 50 flyers and 50 tri-fold. Do you want more?
Might maybe do 50 more of each, did they print alright? I am gonna be ordering 250 business cards (that is the minimum). I guess the amount of each that we need will largely depend on how many people are going. The main ones we will be utilizing are the tri-fold flyers, so that people can put those in their pockets without having to fold them up. So I would just go ahead and do 50 more of the tri-fold flyers and leave the other ones alone. Thanks again for printing those off.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Last year we parked at Englewood Plaza, which is a shopping center located on the northwest corner of West National Rd. (Rt. 40) and Union Blvd. :

l_391f1507d9af4ebe8c4a491e86420afe.jpg

Ohio Patriot

imported post

I will only be able to make it on Saturday. But please feel free to show up on one or both days.

For Saturday, how about we meet at 1100, walk around for about an hour, and then get lunch there? There will be some food vendors there. (Unfortunately I will have to leave around 1330 or so, but anyone else is obviously welcome to stay later or arrive earlier.)