• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

found this on the albion mi ordinences

cabman1

imported post

Sec. 58-163. Discharge of weapons; public possession of weapons.
(a) No person shall discharge any firearm, air rifle or air pistol or slingshot within the city nor shall any person have any firearm, air rifle, air pistol or slingshot in his possession in any street or park, unless securely wrapped or encased. This subsection shall not prohibit the use of such weapons:
(1) By law enforcement officers, members of the national guard or the armed forces of the United States while engaged in the performance of their duties; or
(2) In the exercise of the rights of defense of self, other persons or property.
(b) No person shall go about armed, carry or have upon his person any pistol, revolver, stiletto or other offensive or dangerous weapon; provided, however, this subsection shall not apply to persons duly licensed and allowed by law to carry such weapons.
(Code 1984, § 15-46)

Michigander

imported post

It exempts license holders. The only time it could be illegal, in terms of state preemption, is if someone was carrying a black powder revolver without a CPL, or a long gun. Not really a huge concern, but I suppose it still might make sense to contact them.

cabman1

imported post

sounded like a bunch of double talking to me.Just wanted clarifacation if the were saying we couldn't open carry. setting up a booth at there festival of the forks!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Michigander wrote:
It exempts license holders. The only time it could be illegal, in terms of state preemption, is if someone was carrying a black powder revolver without a CPL, or a long gun. Not really a huge concern, but I suppose it still might make sense to contact them.
No it says a license and allowed by law. OC is allowed by law without a license so they are covered as well.

kreteman

imported post

Venator: I don't read it that way.It says licensed AND allowed by law. Not licensed OR allowed by law. They are combining them hand in hand. At least thats how I read it.

Michigander

imported post

kreteman wrote:
Venator: I don't read it that way.It says licensed AND allowed by law. Not licensed OR allowed by law. They are combining them hand in hand. At least thats how I read it.
That's what I was thinking as well.

cabman1

imported post

I decided to send the mayor a letter here is what it said.

I am the south west regional coordinator for Michigan open carry. I was checking out the city ordinances and came across this one.
Sec. 58-163. Discharge of weapons; public possession of weapons.
(a) No person shall discharge any firearm, air rifle or air pistol or slingshot within the city nor shall any person have any firearm, air rifle, air pistol or slingshot in his possession in any street or park, unless securely wrapped or encased. This subsection shall not prohibit the use of such weapons:
(1) By law enforcement officers, members of the national guard or the armed forces of the United States while engaged in the performance of their duties; or
(2) In the exercise of the rights of defense of self, other persons or property.
(b) No person shall go about armed, carry or have upon his person any pistol, revolver, stiletto or other offensive or dangerous weapon; provided, however, this subsection shall not apply to persons duly licensed and allowed by law to carry such weapons.
(Code 1984, § 15-46)

I was wondering if you knew it was illegal for any city to have ordinances
prohibiting carrying of firearms.

Under the 1990 state preemption law
I have also attached a copy of the Law Enforcement Action Forum Newsletter issued by the Michigan Municipal League on lawful open carry.

Thank you,

Michigan Legislature FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
Act 319 of 1990
123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.
Sec. 2.
A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(3uzohtmics2b4u45avhaptfn))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-123-1102

cabman1

imported post

I got this today I am very happy with lt. Strowbridge what do ya think??

Mr. Cannon,
I was forwarded your email concerning our local ordinance on the prohibition of carrying or possession of a firearm. Just to give you some background, I am the designated researcher on the department as it relates to firearms issues and the law. I teach CPL classes and am a Patron NRA member.

Although the mayor only gave me a portion of your email because he had printer problems, I assume you are questioning the validity of our local ordinance. Based on my knowledge of the law, it would appear you are correct that the ordinance would be unconstitutional and should be changed to reflect that. My next step is to contact our City Attorney and request that the ordinance be changed. I will have to present him with significant documentation, which I believe I have, to get him to change it. If he will not change it, and I suspect he may not based on my knowledge of his viewpoints, then I will seek an attorney’s opinion. Our county prosecutor is also left leaning and anti-gun so that is not an option either. If I strike out, then the only option would be for someone like yourself to challenge it in court. Given my position here, I cannot do that.

Either way, I will attempt to correct this situation and let you know the result.

Dan Strowbridge
Lt. Support Services
Albion Public Safety
517 629 7825

I called him and had a talk with him.Offered to help him in anyway I could with information he said if we could please email it to him here is his email address

Dan Strowbridge" <dstrowbridge@ci.albion.mi.us>

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

cabman1 wrote:
My next step is to contact our City Attorney and request that the ordinance be changed. I will have to present him with significant documentation, which I believe I have, to get him to change it. If he will not change it, and I suspect he may not based on my knowledge of his viewpoints, then I will seek an attorney’s opinion. Our county prosecutor is also left leaning and anti-gun so that is not an option either.
Good job on the response cabman1, sounds like you have an ally there. Send him on the appropriate information.

The city attorney's viewpoints are not relevant. He should be more worried about doing his job according to the law and less about what his opinions are.

autosurgeon

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
cabman1 wrote:
My next step is to contact our City Attorney and request that the ordinance be changed. I will have to present him with significant documentation, which I believe I have, to get him to change it. If he will not change it, and I suspect he may not based on my knowledge of his viewpoints, then I will seek an attorney’s opinion. Our county prosecutor is also left leaning and anti-gun so that is not an option either.
Good job on the response cabman1, sounds like you have an ally there. Send him on the appropriate information.

The city attorney's viewpoints are not relevant. He should be more worried about doing his job according to the law and less about what his opinions are.
I agree but this is the same problem we are having in South Haven!