• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roseville PD changes wait for handgun permits

PDinDetroit

imported post

In Royal Oak, I was able to get a purchase permit within 24 hours (Oct 2008). When I applied, I was told it should be ready the next day - and it was!

Just 1 month ago, I was able to walk in and get a purchase permit in 15 minutes because I had gotten one within the last year. I do appreciate the way that they are handling these.

Yooper

imported post

I don't think I've waited more than 15 minutes to get a purchase permit, unless of course there were people being waited on in front of me.

As far as the CPL training, I was grumbling about $50, I guess I should be happy.

Also, do they still make you take that quiz in the rest of the state? I took it with the first gun I purchased, and haven't taken it since, and that was 13yrs ago.

Veritas

imported post

Bloomfield took about 2 hours (with me waiting in the lobby) to work on my PP... and ended up denying me anyway. So I preempted them by getting a CPL from the county. I still think it's funny how a city can deny me a purchase permit, but the county can approve my CPL. Goes to show you that some law enforcement agencies simply don't operate in a uniform manner. Fair and equal treatment under the law? Not in Michigan.

When I called Troy (this was some time ago, it may have been changed since), I was told a PP takes 7 to 10 business days.

Veritas

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
What was their reason for denial?
Long story... But the clerk invoked the section of the law where a police officer, or deputized office clerk (which is what she was) could self-determine an applicant as a potential danger to themselves, or to others, as a reason for denial.

The long and short of it is that she based her decision on an arrest made 6 years ago... one in which I was never convicted (charges dropped, case dismissed). Initially, the "danger to (yourself) and others" was not mentioned until I protested her decision based on the fact that I was never convicted of anything, and that, in America, I enjoy the presumption of innocence until found guilty by a court of law. She trumped me with, "Well I feel that you're a danger to yourself and to others, so you're being denied." In particular, she referenced a statement by the officer, written in his police report, in which I allegedly challenged him to a fist fight. What she failed to understand, however, is that the report was completely stacked against me and inherently inaccurate. I remember that night clearly... AFTER I was arrested, handcuffed, and taken to the station; the arresting officer was trying to coax me to do something stupid. He said to me, "You think you're real smart, don't you?" I said, "Indeed I do, officer." He asked me if I thought I was tough. I told him that, indeed, I was. AFTER he took me to an area of the station void of camera's, and while I was still handcuffed, he shoved me into a wall TWICE; causing me to fall down. It made a loud enough commotion that another officer came around the corner to see what was going on. As I lay on the ground, still in handcuffs, I said very loudly "I AM NOT RESISTING IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM AND I WISH TO BE HANDLED BY ANOTHER OFFICER." The officer who came to observe simply said, "I didn't see anything" then left the scene. The assaulting officer then asked how tough I was now... and then asked if I thought I could "take him". I responded by telling him that if he didn't have a badge, and if I weren't wearing handcuffs, that I could sweep the parking lot with his scrawny @$$. At that statement, he picked me up, bent my arms farther behind my back (to cause pain) and then walked me at a "very high rate of speed" towards a set of lockers... at which point he let go and caused me to run into them. Then he threw me in the drunk tank; still in cuffs. The next morning, when the next officer shift came in, my cuffs were removed... but I was still not permitted to make a phone call. Fortunately, by then, word had spread to my core group of friends and they arrived to post bail.

The bit about me telling the officer that I could "sweep the parking lot with his A$$" is the line that made it into the police report... no mention, whatsoever, of his own statements that preceded it; nor of any of the events that preceded it. And THAT'S the line that caused my denial of a purchase permit... it was quoted to me by both the deputized clerk, as well as the Lt. Was I out of line by saying that? Perhaps. But I also believe that the officer, himself, should have conducted himself more appropriately. The fact of the matter is that I was PISSED OFF for having been unjustly arrested... he was merely twisting the knife into my ribs. As far as I'm concerned, I was rude... but not unlawful. I was younger then, and it was my first "serious" run in with the law... I have since learned to keep my mouth shut when dealing with the police; regardless of how much they try to instigate me.

But I digress...

I escalated the matter to the Lt... who took several days for me to reach. When he didn't return any of my calls, I showed up in person. He listened to what I had to say (although he refused to take me somewhere private to discuss it... I had to discuss details about my past in front of everybody sitting in the lobby), at which point he instructed me to go to the court that I was tried in to obtain proof of the dismissal. I tried to explain that the lack of conviction, marked by a closed case disposition, should suffice as evidence of my innocence; but he failed to reason with me on it. To this day, I don't think he thought I would actually follow through with his request. But I did. I actually took a full day off of work, drove 30 miles to the city, paid (I think) $12 for a certified copy of the court record, and brought it back to him. He said he would look it over and get back to me. A week later, I heard nothing so I called him. He said that he was "just about to call (me)" (yeah right)... so I asked if he was fixing to call me with the GOOD news. He said no... that I was still being denied because he was standing by his deputized clerk's decision. When I asked for details about WHY they felt I was a danger, he said he was typing up a letter to send me. Several years later, that letter still hasn't come.

I made a last attempt to reason with the Lt. In doing so, he gained more ammunition to use against me. The fact is that he completely misunderstood what I was trying to say, twisted it out of context, and then added THAT to his other "reasons" for denying me. That cemented the notion, in my heart, to never again voluntarily disclose information to any officer for any reason.

From there, I escalated the matter to the Captain... who gave me all of about 5 minutes before hanging up on me. Prior to hanging up on me, he said, "If you don't like our decision, you can hire an attorney and sue us."

During our conversation, the Captain lamented that he could not live with the decision to GIVE me permission (as if I NEED permission from anyone to keep and bear arms) to purchase a pistol, if I were to use it to harm others. I thought it was absolutely ludicrous! I asked him if I needed his permission to buy 20 shotguns and 18 rifles... he said "no." I asked him how I was any less "dangerous" owning such an arsenal... he failed to comment. I asked if he could live with himself if I were the victim of a home invasion and lacked the ability to defend myself from an armed attacker. Again, he failed to answer.

During this entire ordeal, which lasted for nearly three months, I was directed to numerous agencies. When I was denied by the PD clerk, she told me I had to contact the FFL for more information. When I called the FFL, they said they saw no reason for the denial, and that I had to return to the PD. When I went back to the PD, they sent me to the CJIS. When I called the CJIS, they told me I had to go back to the PD. So i went back to the PD and they referred me to the "Michigan Gun Board". Unable to find a "Michigan Gun Board" at the .gov website, I contacted the MSP. The MSP told me they didn't see a reason for the denial, and to go back to the PD. When I went back to the PD, they told me that I had to contact the FBI and get a background check on myself. That cost me about $14 or $18 (going from memory), and it came back clean. For good measure, I also paid $10 to have an ICHAT (MSP) background check pulled on myself, and another $10 to have my SOS driving record pulled. All came back clean... no reason for denial. when I went back to the PD with all this information, they sent me (again) to the FFL. This time, they gave me a photocopied pamphlet that detailed instructions on how to file an appeal. So I sent all of my certified background checks to them, along with a fingerprint card (that cost me another $12) to begin the appeal process. Over a month later, I got my entire package sent back to me in the mail (with my fingerprint card and everything) with an explanation saying something to the effect of "There is no need to file an appeal because WE have not denied you. You have to return to your local police department." At that point, I made one last attempt to reason with the PD, which, as usual, was unsuccessful.

I called a pro-2A attorney (apparently, one of the best in the State) who listened to my case and told me, in so many words, that there was no lawful reason for the denial. He quoted me $3,500 to represent me. I asked him if I could sue to recover his fee. He said no... so I declined his services. I wasn't about to pay $3,500 for a purchase permit. He did, however, inform me that some Oakland County PD's make it very difficult for folks to get permits. In fact, this backed up what the Lt. told me when we had our fist conversation... he told me that I would "have an easier time getting a PP from another city... perhaps Wayne County." I remember asking him how that was fair and equal treatment under the law... that one city would give me a permit with "no problems", and yet THEY denied me. He just shrugged his shoulders.

Quite literally (this was told to me by the Lt. when I spoke to him), the PD was using the LEIN system to look up all of my prior arrests. Despite the lack of convictions, they used that information in the LEIN system to dub me as a danger to society. I won't sit here and say that I haven't challened the law on several occassions during my lifetime. But I will stand by the fact that I have always done so peacefully, and for good reason. Do I get arrested from time to time? Sure I do. But am I ever convicted of any crime for asserting my rights? Hell no. For those of you who remember my grand entrance to MOC, I was recently arrested in Detroit for openly carrying. I hadn't violated any laws and I was peaceful. But I DID assert my rights. That arrest went nowhere... it lasted all of about 20 minutes and I was released, on the spot, with a return of all my effects; including my pistol. I was told by the DPD that that incident won't show up in the LEIN... but you never know. I do know, however, that prior arrests (in which I was actually booked and jailed) ARE on my LEIN. In Detroit, I was just one fingerprint card away from facing yet another felony charge. Yet another charge that would have stuck to me like glue on rubber.

The fact of the matter is that I have never committed a violent act against another human being in all my life... not one that was not FIRST instigated by them, and then, only to defend myself. I have never harmed, nor attempted to harm, myself. Quite literally, this deputized office clerk (who didn't even carry a gun herself) made a determination about me that was not based on any sort of clinical data whatsoever.

Like I said though... I went around the city and got it taken care of. And it didn't cost me anything NEAR $3,500.

This is how people lose rights. They make it uber expensive for you to fight for them... to the point that most people simply give up. But not me. Not only can I walk into any store and purchase a pistol now, but I can also shove it in my waistband if I wanted to. And I haven't harmed anyone, myself included, in all my time carrying. Go figure.

Veritas

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
Was it Bloomfield Twp or Bloomfield Hills?
Township.

Michigander wrote:
So Veritas, does all of that frustration mean that you would be willing to organize a Bloomfield meet up?
To be honest, no. As I see it, they lost that battle... I don't see the need to rub it in their faces. Besides, I don't even live there anymore. Truth be told, that whole situation prompted me to leave the community. I was actually looking at buying a new home in Bloomfield... but quickly scrapped the idea after my experience with the PD.

In Troy, I have mad respect for the department and their officers. I've worked in Troy for many years and have had nothing but wonderful experiences with them. It may sound hokey, but it's one of the reasons I moved here. Police are integral members of any community... folks ought to consider them as one of the reasons for choosing where they live. To me, it's along the same lines as moving to a city because of the school district. It's a public service, either way.

And trying to be a reasonable man, I do try to make an honest effort to see things from their perspective. In front of them stood a man (me) who was charged with "Interfering with Police". Right off the cuff, they automatically lumped me in with the rest of the jackasses who have actually been convicted of such. The reality is that they weren't working with all of the facts surrounding my situation(s) when they made their decision.

However, I do not believe this excuses their disregard for my rights. The fact that they sent me on a wild goose chase, had me jump through several hoops to appease them, had me sitting around like a girl on prom night waiting to be picked up, and then STILL denied me... well yeah, that pisses me off. But I'm a big boy... I followed the proper channels and had my rights restored. I don't hold any grudges.

My thing in life is to remain as positive as possible... to try to help others... but to not pick fights when I've already won the battle. Bloomfield TWP lost; plain and simple. That's good enough for me.

I am disgusted with how the situation was handled... so much so, that I have no desire to be around them anymore than I have to be. If I happen to be open carrying in Bloomfield Township, so be it. I won't go out of my way to do it, though.

Veritas

imported post

For the record, and just to clear up any potential confusion, the story about my arrest did NOT occur in Bloomfield TWP. I'd actually prefer not to publicize which city was responsible for that... as I'm sure any number of officers reading these forums can quickly peg who I am. And frankly, I'm paranoid enough anytime I drive through that city (I'm a magnet for being pulled over down there; yet none of the tickets stick... go figure).

At this point in my life, I want to keep that in the past. I feel there are bigger things to worry about in life than trying to make a statement about an incident that I've already vindicated myself from. It's just time to move past it. It has taken several years, but it's finally starting to go away. I can't begin to tell you the amount of hassle that night caused me... from my career to average interactions with officers: It has been something that's always come up. In recent years, however, it's faded from memory... and I prefer to keep it that way.

Unless, of course, I'm sharing my experiences with others. I think it's important for folks to know how things sometimes go down. I hope they can learn from it. This includes officers... for those that may be reading this.

As I explained to "Good Cop" in Detroit... interactions with officers can have a LASTING impact on folks. That ONE night in 2003 has completely reshaped how I interact with officers. For the rest of my life, I will be wary of any officer that approaches me "Just to talk"... because, as I have learned, sometimes they're having a bad day (or whatever the reason is) and I could wind up in handcuffs and being tossed around in a police station... then finding myself facing repercussions half a decade later for something I was never found guilty of.

After my interaction with the Lt. in Bloomfield, I was reminded why a citizen should NEVER volunteer information to officers. If they have something against you, they WILL find a way to twist it and use it against you.

So to all the fine officers out there, I applaud you. And it's nothing personal. If you do your job ethically, and well, you deserve praise. But understand that people like me are the way that we are because some of your brethren are not as straight and narrow as others. It's like beating a dog... it can only take so much before it becomes hand-shy. I can name, on one hand, the names of all the officers who have made me what I am today. In some ways, I feel I should thank them... because it inspired me to become better informed about the law, as well as my rights.

autosurgeon

imported post

I understand your feelings I get along very well with the VB County Sheriffs Dept. The guys know that I will back them up if they need it and I am available in the summer as a weekend ride along helper. They have always been professional with me even when I was a young kid clowning around! They are friendly toward LAC's with guns and wave at OC'ers... To be honest the State Police over here have always been decent too!

Part of why they know me is the fact that when I worked as a mechanic I service their cars and other vehicles...

Michigander

imported post

Veritas wrote:
It may sound hokey, but it's one of the reasons I moved here. Police are integral members of any community... folks ought to consider them as one of the reasons for choosing where they live. To me, it's along the same lines as moving to a city because of the school district. It's a public service, either way.
I couldn't agree more. Nearly 100% good police is something I miss greatly about the Arizona. Between the great police, the weather, the scenery, and widely held liberty loving political view points, I can't help but plan to live in the south west for the bulk of the rest of my life if I can manage it. The only substantial reason I am here now is because of good schools.

When I made the choice to come back here for a while, I didn't even anticipate just how frustrated I would become with the way police conduct themselves, and the subsequent ways we have to prepare ourselves. It stresses and annoys me in no small way. There are good departments around here, but we've all seen and sometimes taken so much crap that it's mind blowing. It's especially mind blowing to me, having seen that there is no reason for it.

Maybe it's laziness, maybe it's a combination of that and liking nice weather and mountains, but I can't bring myself to plan on staying in Michigan after I finish school. There are far, far too many police officers in this state that are simply felons on patrol who got into their jobs for all the wrong reasons, and I don't think there is any purpose in staying here to try and fix them, (or suffer through the rain and snow.)

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Back on track.

I talked with Roseville's Officer Rzeppa in the records department. He explained that a person that applies for a purchase permit is run through LEIN, then officer Rzeppa gets the applicants name and looks for any local issues on the individual. He looks for things like a family request not to give a permit for mental reasons, etc. He looks for any reports of PD dealings with the person in question.Officer Rzeppastates this takes up to two days or so, depending on the number of permit requests.

Once you pass/fail the background check they will issue or deny a purchase permit. If approved that person is approved for one year and then can come in and get a permit "instantly" anytime during that year. After a year they then will run your background and repeat the process.

I have not heard of any departments doing this.

T Vance

imported post

In Jackson County, they did the background check while I took their little test. I walked out that day with a permit and had 10 days to use it. All done in about 15 minutes.

autosurgeon

imported post

Sounds fishy... Lein takes less than 5 min to run! If you have been judged mentally defective by a court or mental institution it will show up. If you have a PPO it will show up. Having a family member that doesn't feel you should have a pistol is not a legal reason to not issue a PP. Local issues would show up on lien too... unless you were NEVER CONVICTED... and if that is the case charges that are dropped should have no bearing at all!!

Personally I would refer this to the State Police and see what they think about this...

ghostrider

imported post

Venator wrote:
Back on track.

I talked with Roseville's Officer Rzeppa in the records department. He explained that a person that applies for a purchase permit is run through LEIN, then officer Rzeppa gets the applicants name and looks for any local issues on the individual. He looks for things like a family request not to give a permit for mental reasons, etc. He looks for any reports of PD dealings with the person in question.Officer Rzeppastates this takes up to two days or so, depending on the number of permit requests.

Once you pass/fail the background check they will issue or deny a purchase permit. If approved that person is approved for one year and then can come in and get a permit "instantly" anytime during that year. After a year they then will run your background and repeat the process.

I have not heard of any departments doing this.
I'd have to look myself, but where does the law mandate all that?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Sounds fishy... Lein takes less than 5 min to run! If you have been judged mentally defective by a court or mental institution it will show up. If you have a PPO it will show up. Having a family member that doesn't feel you should have a pistol is not a legal reason to not issue a PP. Local issues would show up on lien too... unless you were NEVER CONVICTED... and if that is the case charges that are dropped should have no bearing at all!!

Personally I would refer this to the State Police and see what they think about this...

There is no guidance on what the background check entails in the statue. And due speed and diligence is vague and not defined in the statute either. The officer said they have a duty to do a thorough background check as they want to protect everyone.

I concur with you all, it's taking it to an extreme and a form of gun control, which is exactly what I said tothe office. I told him I would post their procedure and if any residents of Roseville want to pursue the matter please do so.

Michigander

imported post

Venator wrote:
He looks for any reports of PD dealings with the person in question.Officer Rzeppastates this takes up to two days or so, depending on the number of permit requests.
The LEIN system and NICS system are instantaneous with their results. Therefore, I'm going to raise the BS flag.

bs_flag.gif