Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaving for the Chantilly gun show in a bit...

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

You guys keep the noise down while I'm away! and who ever is the last to leave, turn out the lights...
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    You guys keep the noise down while I'm away! and who ever is the last to leave, turn out the lights...
    Nah, we'll keep the light on for you.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

today, tomorrow and Sunday

$18 for the three days.
    Not sure of the price for one day - probably $12 or so.

The show is now in TWO BUILDINGS.

600 people in line for the 3:00 opening today.
    At the "old building."

Don't be a dummy. Go to the second building to pay for your admission, and avoid all the lines.

First building is pretty much as it always was.

Second building is more "militaria" (and it smells like it - I'm still sneezing).

Hot and crowded in the old building.
    Cool and airy in the new building (only 65% occupied).

One curious group of fellas in the "new building" was selling all sorts powdered chemcals, looked like to make smoke bombs and fire bombs. Even Thermite. Many of their were all misspelled ("flair" instead of "flare"), except the components, which appeared correct. One sign for a giant smoke bomb was prefaced with "PISS OFF THE NEIGHBORS" in 72-point font. A video was running, that showed some fat guy blowing **** up, and flipping out the dog. I considered buying all they had.

A guy had 2011-marked MRE's for $55/case or $100 for two cases.

The road into the place is ALL MUGKED UP. You apparently can't turn off Rt. 28 directly onto Willard Road any more. You follow all these detour signs, and then all the sudden you are at Hooters.

Back in the "old building" there was a metric buttload of EBR's. All overpriced by about 10% compared to gunbroker prices. The DPMS LR-308 prices were spot-on though, at $1100-ish.

All EBR prices were about 15%-20% over pre-Obama prices.

I saw a couple Century FAL's on one table. Guy wanted $1000/each.
    Trader Jerry had a DSA para $2400

Armscorp lady had her usual three or four tables with the same Garand and FAL parts she drags to every show. No customers.

Trader Jerry had Ruger SR-556 boxes displayed like some sort of billboard on top of a pyramid of junk he had piled behind his tables.
    I didn't see any of the actual rifles though.
    Maybe they've been recalled already.

There was ammo. All calibers. I bought a case of Fiocchi .223 for about $400. Prvi and Centurion in quantity.
    9mm at the show was about 20% over Wal-Mart prices.

Interesting thing was though, the guy who works at what I call "Ammo Mountain" (big burly guy, with big head of curly hair, and usually wearing gloves and sweating like a racehorse) was cooling his heels with his helper and him eating chili dogs when I walked up. There was a line to beat the band at his mountain at the last show. No line today. His ammo-mountain wasn't as big as last time either. Like I said, I paid $400 for a case of Fiocchi .223. He had lots of other ammo too.

Tons of P-Mags $15-ish.
    Other mags at fair-enough prices.

Trader Jerry had lots of Glocks.
    490 plain
    550 nite-sights

Saiga 12 gauge for 550
    Saiga 7.62x39 for 350

AK underfolder for 590

Dark Sun folks charming as ever.
    I saw the tatooed lady reading some guy the riot act on (I kid you not) "gunshow etiquette."

Post imported post

I had a good time. Like that they opened up a second venue in the building across the way. More preparedness stuff which may bring me back more often.

The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Post imported post

Post imported post

Apparently there was an ND on Friday at the show. I do not have all of the details but from what I understand it was a visitor who discharged a .25 from a Raven. I was told that he had to be transported via EMS with concrete shards in his leg.

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    Apparently there was an ND on Friday at the show. I do not have all of the details but from what I understand it was a visitor who discharged a .25 from a Raven. I was told that he had to be transported via EMS with concrete shards in his leg.
    Seriously now, how do these things happen? Do these people forget that they've got a loaded weapon on them when asked? Do they put a round in the chamber to see how it fits in adisplay gun? I know the rule is annoying, but they're going to screw it up for everyone with this crap.

Post imported post

I'm going to stop by and check it out tomorrow morning. Hopefully most people will be at church (where I should be) and it won't be too busy.

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote:
    I'm going to stop by and check it out tomorrow morning. Hopefully most people will be at church (where I should be) and it won't be too busy.
    To make up for your heathen activities you should buy me a Glock 29.

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote:
    It won't be too busy because all of the high-demand ammo is gone.

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    I was there on Friday until ~6:30. I had been in the new (north) buiding earlier in the day, but left from the old building. Didn't hear an ND, and didn't see/hear anything about one.

Post imported post

les_aker wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    I was there on Friday until ~6:30. I had been in the new (north) buiding earlier in the day, but left from the old building. Didn't hear an ND, and didn't see/hear anything about one.

An earlier post, now edited out for whatever reason, mentioned something to the effect of it happening 10 minutes or so before the doors to the show opened up.

Post imported post

W.E.G. wrote:

I saw the tatooed lady reading some guy the riot act on (I kid you not) "gunshow etiquette."
    As far as gun dealers go, the biggest and theonlybunch of a-holes I have ever met.

Post imported post

Chuckles wrote:
    W.E.G. wrote:

As far as gun dealers go, the biggest and theonlybunch of a-holes I have ever met.
    Chuckles:

I guess you haven't met Ron Hess. He's right up there with the blonde-haired @-hole at Dark Sun. I admit I bought Midget's Glock from Dark Sun, but only because he had the best price around at a time when I couldn't even FIND the same model (G-21SF) anywhere else. The regular G-21's were even higher than I paid for her 21SF new.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

Just got back from the show. My uncle bought an FN 20" upper for $475. I just bought a few small things, and I finally joined VCDL.

Post imported post

I was able to pick up 2k CCI350 primers (I can finally afford to reload .44mag again!) and several reloading cartridge boxes for a few calibers I reload.

Only spent about 30min in the show, I didn't really see anything else that interested me.

Left and met up with some family members at the Chik-fil-A (I OC'd there) then we all made our way to Guns and Ammo Warehouse where a famlily member bought a gun.

Can't wait for him and I to try it out side by side w/ my XD

Also stopped by VA Arms to see if they got any new guns in on consignment, unfortunately there's still just the same one's that've been there for a few weeks.

Post imported post

Back from the show. A bit pissed about some of the events this weekend, but its nice to be home.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    A bit pissed about some of the events this weekend
    ?
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    ?
    Suffice it to say that not every company seems to hold themselves to the same ethical standards that we do.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    ed wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    ?
    Suffice it to say that not every company seems to hold themselves to the same ethical standards that we do.
    Details?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Chuckles wrote:
    W.E.G. wrote:

Sad to say, they have made my Do Not Do Business With Ever list. The are the only dealer, shop, store in that specific arena (guns) to be so honored. :X

I would gladly pay a bit more, if needed, somewhere else. IMO they give the business a bad name.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    I was able to pick up 2k CCI350 primers (I can finally afford to reload .44mag again!) and several reloading cartridge boxes for a few calibers I reload.

Only spent about 30min in the show, I didn't really see anything else that interested me.

Left and met up with some family members at the Chik-fil-A (I OC'd there) then we all made our way to Guns and Ammo Warehouse where a famlily member bought a gun.

Also stopped by VA Arms to see if they got any new guns in on consignment, unfortunately there's still just the same one's that've been there for a few weeks.
    OT: I didn't know there were any Chick-Fil-As that were open on Sundays... where was this one?

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    nova wrote:

OT: I didn't know there were any Chick-Fil-As that were open on Sundays... where was this one?

TFred
    He must have been talking about Saturday because I think VA Arms is also closed on Sunday.

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    Back from the show. A bit pissed about some of the events this weekend, but its nice to be home.
    Yeah, but did you notice the gal at the ammo vendor over by the National Guard display on Saturday?

Post imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    ed wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    ?
    Details?
    not just yet...
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast