• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Remington 870 flashlight

Hendu024

imported post

But I am just wondering if anyone has input on a good mounted flashlight for a shotgun, specifically an 870. I've wanted to get one for a while, and have been looking at various lights, but any input from the forum would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I was taught, "When it is dark then keep it dark."

We have all read the story of Carlos Hathcock shooting through an enemy's riflescope. Is shooting at a light - mounted like a riflescope - different?

Protect your dark-adapted eyes.
And do not give away your position. That said there is a time and place for a good light.

What is the posters screen name that does such a fantastic job of reviewing flashlights?

Yata hey

Hendu024

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
I was taught, "When it is dark then keep it dark."

We have all read the story of Carlos Hathcock shooting through an enemy's riflescope. Is shooting at a light - mounted like a riflescope - different?

Protect your dark-adapted eyes.
And do not give away your position. That said there is a time and place for a good light.

What is the posters screen name that does such a fantastic job of reviewing flashlights?

Yata hey
For instance, after the first shot is fired:)

Hendu024

Cavymeister

imported post

What about identifying your target before firing your weapon? I am less worried about someone knowing where I am then shooting someone or something I don't know. When it's late at night, the mind ain't thinking straight, and the nerves are through the roof., thats when I want my light. I'm not as worried about a special forces team swarming my house.

I picked up these lights from cheaper than dirt called "Javaline" that work quite well without completely breaking the bank.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

One of the few disadvantages of a long gun is for clearing rooms at night.

When you hear something go bump and you know it shouldn't have, you have to find the source. You need to keep both hands on the weapon as you clear each room and that requires either the lights be on...or a light on the shotgun.

While I'm certain Doug is right. and someone may be waiting to shoot you through your scope in the kitchen:lol:

I still vote for the light. I use this one on a rail mount on the barrel of my 500. I strongly recommend a remote switch velcroed on the pump.

[size=""][color=""][font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"]Surefire L1 LumaMax[/font][/color][/size]
l1ha_full.jpg

MSC 45ACP

imported post

peter nap wrote:

When you hear something go bump and you know it shouldn't have, you have to find the source. You need to keep both hands on the weapon as you clear each room and that requires either the lights be on...or a light on the shotgun.

While I'm certain Doug is right. and someone may be waiting to shoot you through your scope in the kitchen:lol:

I still vote for the light. I use this one on a rail mount on the barrel of my 500. I strongly recommend a remote switch velcroed on the pump.

[size=""][color=""][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Surefire L1 LumaMax[/font]
l1ha_full.jpg

+1.

They make a special adapter for the end of the flashlight that fits on a rifle or shotgun for a switch operated by the weak hand. I know some SPECOPS folks use them on their M4's.

GWRedDragon

imported post

Cavymeister wrote:
What about identifying your target before firing your weapon? I am less worried about someone knowing where I am then shooting someone or something I don't know. When it's late at night, the mind ain't thinking straight, and the nerves are through the roof., thats when I want my light. I'm not as worried about a special forces team swarming my house.
Exactly. When you encounter someone prowling around at night, you need to identify the target before you shoot. How would you feel if you shot a family member, a delivery guy at the wrong house, or a police officer?

mobeewan

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Flashlight?

That's what the muzzle flash is for!
Yeap, always a good idea to fire a few rounds first to light up your target. That way you can determine if it is a prowler, the neighbors cat or his kid looking for the cat before you deliver the kill shot.:lol:

ScottyT

imported post

I like that little ATI mount! Seems like a good cheap alternative to most of the other mounting systems out there. I would definitely still pair that mount with a remote switch on the pump.

Thanks for sharing.

TFred

imported post

peter nap wrote:

I'm no tactician, but surely you can't really use a flashlight to clear an otherwise totally dark room? I see this all the time on TV cop shows, and I cringe every time... if there is a bad guy hiding in the room, I couldn't imagine a more disadvantageous position than to be walking around with a flashlight, while they are hiding in a dark corner just waiting for the perfect shot to take you out.

What am I missing here?

TFred

Cavymeister

imported post

TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:

I'm no tactician, but surely you can't really use a flashlight to clear an otherwise totally dark room? I see this all the time on TV cop shows, and I cringe every time... if there is a bad guy hiding in the room, I couldn't imagine a more disadvantageous position than to be walking around with a flashlight, while they are hiding in a dark corner just waiting for the perfect shot to take you out.

What am I missing here?

TFred

Know your target and what is beyond.

The big things is to identify your target before you fire. Are your eyes that good at night that you can be sure of what you are shooting at in the dark? I'd rather be an easy target then accidentally shoot my kid that got up in the middle of the night for some water, or is trying to sneak in at night after being out past curfew.

TFred

imported post

Cavymeister wrote:
TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:

What am I missing here?

TFred

The big things is to identify your target before you fire. Are your eyes that good at night that you can be sure of what you are shooting at in the dark? I'd rather be an easy target then accidentally shoot my kid that got up in the middle of the night for some water, or is trying to sneak in at night after being out past curfew.
I think we're talking apples and oranges here. I was responding to "clearing a room". Walking into a dark room that may or may not have someone hiding in the corner, while using a flashlight to observe only 2 square feet at a time does not seem to bode well for my survival.

I didn't say anything about shooting in the dark.

If they can see me but I can't see them, they win. At a minimum, it seems smarter to turn on the lights so you can both see each other. At least you're even then. Or perhaps even better, wait in the dark for them to move and be heard, so you at least know where to point the flashlight when you do turn it on to see who is there.

There are LEOs here, what do they train you to do in these situations?

TFred

Hendu024

imported post

TFred wrote:
Cavymeister wrote:
TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:

What am I missing here?

TFred

I think we're talking apples and oranges here. I was responding to "clearing a room". Walking into a dark room that may or may not have someone hiding in the corner, while using a flashlight to observe only 2 square feet at a time does not seem to bode well for my survival.

I didn't say anything about shooting in the dark.

If they can see me but I can't see them, they win. At a minimum, it seems smarter to turn on the lights so you can both see each other. At least you're even then. Or perhaps even better, wait in the dark for them to move and be heard, so you at least know where to point the flashlight when you do turn it on to see who is there.

There are LEOs here, what do they train you to do in these situations?

TFred
+1

If I hear something going bump in the night inside my house, I'm not necessarily going to go looking for it. The way my stairs are, they spiral down and you can see through the slats. Tactically disadvantageous, because the BG could see me before I could see him. I would just wait at the top of the stairs from behind the corner. Elevated position, from cover. I'll just hit 911 on my cell and leave the line open in my room. If the BG wants to look around my house, I have no qualms with waiting for him to come into my comfort zone, rather than seek him out in a dark house.

When the stairs creak, I'd hit him with the light. I've been looking for a light for my 870 for a while, thank you for all the responses.