• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Remington 870 flashlight

Glock_21Carrier

imported post

peter nap wrote:
TFred wrote:
Cavymeister wrote:
TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:
There are LEOs here, what do they train you to do in these situations?

TFred
Stand around, look snotty, get in the way:lol:

Oh...I forgot, talk on the radio:shock:
I haven't laughed in a while haha, thank you peter. "real laugh" not being sarcastic either. "talk on radio" that is priceless

I keep my E2D LED defender next to my Glock 21 at all times. Primarily for abrupt flashes of light to ascertain the room, and any abnormalities. I wouldn't use it in constant stream, as this is not useful when i know the extent of my domicile.

I feel quick flashes while standing behind door frames down a hall for example is a fair tactic for those whom prefer light. I keep the gun in tight with elbows bent to prevent a sneak grab from corners etc.

Honestly i see no perfect way, and I agree with the apples and oranges statement.

Also as a side not, throughout the large portions of my home that are located at immediate entrances I have motion lights, so if it gets quiet and im in my secure area i will know where the most recent movement is, or exactly when it occurs.

Glocky

MSC 45ACP

imported post

TFred wrote:
Cavymeister wrote:
TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:
One of the few disadvantages of a long gun is for clearing rooms at night.

When you hear something go bump and you know it shouldn't have, you have to find the source. You need to keep both hands on the weapon as you clear each room and that requires either the lights be on...or a light on the shotgun.
I'm no tactician, but surely you can't really use a flashlight to clear an otherwise totally dark room? I see this all the time on TV cop shows, and I cringe every time... if there is a bad guy hiding in the room, I couldn't imagine a more disadvantageous position than to be walking around with a flashlight, while they are hiding in a dark corner just waiting for the perfect shot to take you out.

What am I missing here?

TFred
Know your target and what is beyond.

The big things is to identify your target before you fire. Are your eyes that good at night that you can be sure of what you are shooting at in the dark? I'd rather be an easy target then accidentally shoot my kid that got up in the middle of the night for some water, or is trying to sneak in at night after being out past curfew.
I think we're talking apples and oranges here. I was responding to "clearing a room". Walking into a dark room that may or may not have someone hiding in the corner, while using a flashlight to observe only 2 square feet at a time does not seem to bode well for my survival.

I didn't say anything about shooting in the dark.

If they can see me but I can't see them, they win. At a minimum, it seems smarter to turn on the lights so you can both see each other. At least you're even then. Or perhaps even better, wait in the dark for them to move and be heard, so you at least know where to point the flashlight when you do turn it on to see who is there.

[suB][suP]There are LEOs here, what do they train you to do in these situations?

[/suP]
[/suB]TFred

We were trained to use the flashlight with the pistol. When clearing a room, the light was used in the weak hand (reaction hand for you gung-ho LE types). When going around a corner, you hold your light up high (or down low, or anywhere your body IS NOT) because the BG is most likey to shoot at the light. Your head won't be where the light is, but you will have enough of your head (and your pistol) around the corner to do what needs to be done. We practiced this A LOT.

When shooting in the dark at longer range, your light is held in the weak hand with the light source at the bottom of the hand; pointing down range. It also supports your shooting hand at the wrist so your wrists are crossed in an "X".

When I worked for Naval Special Warfare (SeALS) as a civilian, I remember them having lights (and other cool gadgets) attached to their M4's. They did a LOT of CQB training in the shooting house. They never had their Surefires off the weapon except for maintenance and repair.

I never had any training using a detached light with a long gun, but I wouldn't try shooting a 12 ga riot gun loaded with 3" slugs with one hand. That might be a wild ride.

Just my $.02 worth...

AbNo

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I never had any training using a detached light with a long gun, but I wouldn't try shooting a 12 ga riot gun loaded with 3" slugs with one hand. That might be a wild ride.
It's not too bad, but I wouldn't recommend it. :D

As for lighting, personally, I'd go with the 1,000,000 candle power spotlights mounted on a wall facing away from you, toward them, but that's not always practical. :lol:

Bundabar

imported post

ALWAYS identify your target. True story...

One night my father awakes to the sound of glass breaking. He grabshis .357 revolver and heads down the hallway. When he rounds the corner towards the sound of the glass he sees a flashlight beam in the kitchen and dining room area. Now he is convinced that someone has broken into the house.

He is ready to defend house and home. As Dad always said "If you break into my house while I'm away, you're there to steal something. You break in while I'm home you're there to hurt someone".

He comes around the corner lowering the weapon in the direction of the flashlight and flippingthe light on. He pulls the weapon back at the last second as he realizes that the "intruder" is my older brother. While trying to get a drink in the middle of the night he had dropped a glass and it shattered. To try and keep from waking Mom and Dad he was using a flashlight to cleanup instead of turning on the lights.

Dad still tells this story to this day and it usually ends with "He doesn't know how close he was to getting shot".

-Bund