• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The question: Should you own a gun?

Dave Workman

imported post

And I'm already getting some interesting answers

In my Friday Seattle Gun Rights Examiner column, I ask this question: Should you own a gun?

It's been kind of a nasty week in Seattle, by Seattle standards. Two women brutally stabbed in their bed has left a community in shock, fear and anger. So, I put people on the spot and ask whether they think they should arm up.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m7d24-Thought-for-the-weekend-Should-you-own-a-gun

If that doesn't work, try this:

http://tinyurl.com/kq95ub

Hammer

imported post

Violent crime is likely to increase as the economy suffers more under the hegemony of Obama. The question is more, will one be a willing victim or a resistant citizen?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

... and will those who take on the RESPONSIBILTY to protect themselves also take on the RESPONSIBILITY to do it safely, with proper preparedness and training.

sirpuma

imported post

I believe every law abiding American Citizen should not only own a firearm for personal defense, but be trained in how to use one. I think that anyone who purchased a firearm for the first time should be required to complete a proper training course on safety, use and care of the firearm type they are purchasing. If people understood and held to the principles of the 4 commandments then there would much fewer NDs.

kenshin

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
I believe every law abiding American Citizen should not only own a firearm for personal defense, but be trained in how to use one. I think that anyone who purchased a firearm for the first time should be required to complete a proper training course on safety, use and care of the firearm type they are purchasing. If people understood and held to the principles of the 4 commandments then there would much fewer NDs.

On the other hand, do we really need more gun control laws? Which is essentially what that would be. I agree that I would want these people new to guns to undergo some kind of training, but I don't think we should make it a law. We've already got enough people trying legislate out all possibilities of owning a gun. We don't need to add to that. Just my opinion.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Should a person own a gun?

Absolutely..... unequivocally....Yes!
As many as he can get his hands on.

She= Honey, why do you need all those guns?
Me= I don't "need" any of them (except this little ol' .45 here). I WANT all of them. I LIKE all of them.
I WANT more!

Bill

usaf0906

imported post

kenshin wrote:
sirpuma wrote:

On the other hand, do we really need more gun control laws? Which is essentially what that would be. I agree that I would want these people new to guns to undergo some kind of training, but I don't think we should make it a law. We've already got enough people trying legislate out all possibilities of owning a gun. We don't need to add to that. Just my opinion.
+1. A required class would give Gov'mint the little foot in the door to tell us what we need to do to own a gun, very slippery slope.

oldkim

imported post

I agree with the intent of having a course but do not agree that it should be mandatory.

I fully support and believe that every individual has the right to defend themselves. I put my money and efforts behind my beliefs... that is why I hold practice events for concealed pistol holders at Renton Fish and Game.

I offer these practice sessions, so that, good honest folks can practice what they carry and use for self defense. Shooting at a regular range is fine but there is nothing like shooting on the move andpracticing rapid fire.

Come out and practice. My next one is Sunday, August 30th. You can look at Shooting Like the Good Old Days. Its a fun day to shoot and possibly get started on IDPA or USPSA. I'll have some safety officers from IDPA so you can ask questions if you are interested.

Plus we'll have a BBQ too! :celebrate

SlackwareRobert

imported post

The simple solution, is every government has a range open to the public so they
can get all the shooting practice they want/need. I don't mind them having
a safety officer, but that is it. The police station range would do the trick till they
make a larger facility.

But I do not want nor need any training by the likes that train the NYC and LA
cops where it takes 70 shots to hit a target a couple of times.

I don't need safety classes from people who teach swat teams to leave assault
rifles laying on the grass when they leave.

I don't want targeting selection classes from people who can't tell the difference
between a LAC like Mnt Jack or Danbus, and a crook like Petterson or Gates.

Have gov treat guns like autos. You don't have to pay for driver training, you
are free to teach yourself. If you want the training you purchase it.
Either way it is not used against you are for you if you commit an infraction
at some latter date.

Lastly, since it is to protect us from the gov, by what rational are we denied
weapons that will stop their tanks.
I don't want to daily carry a law rocket, since I can hear the tank comming
and have enough warning at that time to get it out. But to be denied
the option to defend oneself from a crooked AG is unacceptable.

Manu

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
The simple solution, is every government has a range open to the public so they
can get all the shooting practice they want/need. I don't mind them having
a safety officer, but that is it. The police station range would do the trick till they
make a larger facility.

But I do not want nor need any training by the likes that train the NYC and LA
cops where it takes 70 shots to hit a target a couple of times.

I don't need safety classes from people who teach swat teams to leave assault
rifles laying on the grass when they leave.

I don't want targeting selection classes from people who can't tell the difference
between a LAC like Mnt Jack or Danbus, and a crook like Petterson or Gates.

Have gov treat guns like autos. You don't have to pay for driver training, you
are free to teach yourself. If you want the training you purchase it.
Either way it is not used against you are for you if you commit an infraction
at some latter date.

Lastly, since it is to protect us from the gov, by what rational are we denied
weapons that will stop their tanks.
I don't want to daily carry a law rocket, since I can hear the tank comming
and have enough warning at that time to get it out. But to be denied
the option to defend oneself from a crooked AG is unacceptable.
I think besides all this Govt. should also issue one handgun of your choice to every tax payer:celebrate

SlackwareRobert

imported post

No thanks Manu.

You are just asking to be set up. BHO would make sure you get a looted piece with
a long criminal history to it.
Or a defective one to blow yourself up with. And they have immunity. Not to mention
the database it will be entered in.

I just want to be able to defend myself from both brain eating zombies, and the Clintons.
But it would be hard to pass up an "Official Birth Certificate Commemorative" gun.:cuss:

Batousaii

imported post

Manu wrote:

I think besides all this Govt. should also issue one handgun of your choice to every tax payer:celebrate

Ummm umm!! Ooooo.. I want... um... crap.. i cant decide gimme a minute...

................................................................<thinking>................................

AAAhh !!! --- I think it's a conspiracy... by giving me too many choices, i am unable to make a choice, and thus preventing me from owning ANY gun via the ultimate excitementand complete indecisiveness over having "one <of any> gun of my choice" on the government's ticket... those bastards!

Manu ??? ... you working for the man ???

LoL !!

-Bat :lol:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Sadly, mine never goes for it. Now the liberty stealing zombies are a whole
new threat that she does allow stockpiling against.
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

amlevin

imported post

Manu wrote:

What makes you think the Government wouldn't screw this program up royal. Every handgun the Government ever issued me was a POS. No thank you!

Now, if they would give Tax Credits for the purchase of guns--period I would go along.

Dave- Was the question "Should you own A gun" ? If so, I would say no. If there was widespread approval of the notion that everyone should own A gun then the Government would probably try and limit everyone to just A gun, meaning one.

I know what you were asking, just wanted to kill some time on a boring Tuesday TV night:monkey