• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Navy Federal Credit Union - Lakewood

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I had sent an email to corporate before I joined, who stated that they allow lawful carrying of firearms. Obviously disallowing carry in a state/area that doesn't not allow it.

I went there to pull about 5K$ out for an upcoming auction, and within about 30 seconds of standing in line, I had a gentleman who was talking to whom I later learned was the assistant manager. I was about 15 feet away and heard him say 'that guy has a firearm, can he do that? he doesn't look like an officer or anything, I guess he's a security guard or something'.

I removed myself from the line, went over to the gentleman, and politely introduced myself and explained that I overheard him mentioning my firearm. He asked if I was security, I told him no, that you can carry anywhere, I was just a regular joe blow.

The asst manager then said that I could NOT carry and told me to put my weapon in my car, I politely interjected that I had already talked it over with corporate, and had an email response from them echoing that conversation. She excused herself to make a phone call.

I got back in line, waited about 2 more mins, when she came out and again asked if I was a security guard, then asked for my member ID, I gave it to her. She went back in..

I waited another 5 mins or so, finally getting up to the teller window, when the asst. manager came in behind the teller and said she just called the regional manager and I was not allowed to carry, and asked me to put my weapon in my vehicle. I again politely informed her that it had already been addressed, I was at the window and would like to finish my transaction at which point I would leave, she refused, stating that she would not help me if I was armed, and again repeated that I needed to put my weapon in my vehicle.

Not really having a choice, as I needed the money today, I locked my firearm in my car, and walked back in with an empty holster, but mag holder still occupied, and I finished the transaction.

I then went back to the manager and asked how they would rectify the situation, and she said that Vicki, the regional manager, or the 'security department' ,would call me (Sound familiar Colt?). I expressed my frustration, she apologized and emphasized that she didn't think I was a threat, but it was not allowed. I told her I understood her apprehension, but a man lawfully carrying a firearm, in a holster, with his ID, wallet, and bank card out, with a company polo on, dressed respectfully, is not gonna be the one to rob the bank. She again emphasized that it wasn't a matter of trusting me, it was a matter of policy. I told her how I was uneasy making such a large withdrawal being unarmed, and she kinda laughed and said something to the effect that 'in this area, I would be too'..

I then left.

They were polite at all times, which is at least a good change from all my other encounters.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Once I had disarmed, I would have asked to withdraw the entire balance of my account and closed the account.Or, maybe I would have gone through the drive-thru ten times, each timewithdrawing $500, and never disarm.

Life is too short to have to argue with pinheads, and they definitely don't need my business.

Charles

SigPacker

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
<snip>

Life is too short to have to argue with pinheads, and they definitely don't need my business.

Charles

Agreed!!!

FunkTrooper

imported post

That sucks hopefully you can work it out with the banks higher ups, if not I guess you either accept it or get a better bank. They should ask themselves if they would enforce policy on a bank robber or if they only bother with customers policies like this don't really make a difference. I wouldn't have even bothered to interject in an overheard conversation I would have waited until the manager asks if I'm a cop or security and then tell them that It's none of their business what my occupation is and that I would just like to do my banking in piece.

p2a1x7

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
They should ask themselves if they would enforce policy on a bank robber or if they only bother with customers policies like this don't really make a difference.
"Excuse me sir, it is against bank policy to have firearms in the bank. Please return to your getaway car and secure your firearm in there. I refuse to help you with your robbery until you have done so."

I'm pretty sure that would work.

heresolong

imported post

Please keep us up to date. I do all my NFCU banking on-line since I am nowhere near a branch, but I would like to know what their "real" official policy is since I have had my account for over twenty years.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I had sent an email to corporate before I joined, who stated that they allow lawful carrying of firearms. Obviously disallowing carry in a state/area that doesn't not allow it.

In your e-mail to corporate did you specify that you were inquiring about open carrying? Did the reply indicate that corporate knew about the difference of open vs. concealed carry?

Can you post a copy of the NFCU reply for Dart, myself,and others?

Or, maybe I would have gone through the drive-thru ten times, each timewithdrawing $500, and never disarm.

24.gif

Ajetpilot

imported post

I've been a member of NCFU since 1967. This is a slap in the face of military personnel, past and present, who have risked their lives to support and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Just a thought...

Presumably, they can ban firearms as a privately owned business. HOWEVER, credit union members ARE the "owners". At least that's what they tell you. So how do they get off telling a co-owner they can't carry in their own business?

Ajetpilot

imported post

Excellent point, Bookman.

ETA: However, thinking about it some more, I suppose it is because the officers, whom we"owners" elect, are the one's who make policy. If we "owners" don't like the policy, we have to fire the officers and elect new ones who support the Constitution -all of it.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Dart wrote:
TechnoWeenie,

I would like a copy of that email, I bank there.   Dart

I did this awhile ago, and I purge my accounts every month or so of 'non-important' emails...

Of course, in hindsight, I think every email from now on, from a corporate entity, will be stashed somewhere for later use, instead of just deleted after a month or so..

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I did this awhile ago, and I purge my accounts every month or so of 'non-important' emails...

Of course, in hindsight, I think every email from now on, from a corporate entity, will be stashed somewhere for later use, instead of just deleted after a month or so..
Do you remember whether in your e-mail to corporateyou specified that you were inquiring about open carrying? Do you remember if the corporatereply indicated that they knew about the difference of open vs. concealed carry?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I mentioned open carry in passing.

I didn't say 'I walk around with my gun exposed, can I do that in your branches?'... It was more like 'whats your policy on lawfully carried firearms in your branch? I lawfully carry my firearm both concealed and openly depending on weather, comfort, etc. and I wanted to know if there was a policy in place prohibiting firearms or if like most other banks I've dealt with, follow state law in regards to legally carried firearms'

...Something like that.... was awhile ago

sirpuma

imported post

Once I had disarmed, I would have asked to withdraw the entire balance of my account and closed the account.Or, maybe I would have gone through the drive-thru ten times, each timewithdrawing $500, and never disarm.

Charles
I agree, I would have gone back in, cleaned out all accounts and expressed clearly enough for all to hear just why I was closing my accounts and no longer doing business with the bank. I really like Kitsap Credit Union. They haven't had a single issue with me OCing in their branch office.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I did this awhile ago, and I purge my accounts every month or so of 'non-important' emails... Of course, in hindsight, I think every email from now on, from a corporate entity, will be stashed somewhere for later use, instead of just deleted after a month or so..
Any business that I write to in regard to firearms I use a simple online program to turn the email or hard copy(scanner) into a PDF file that I put in storage for future use.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
I did this awhile ago, and I purge my accounts every month or so of 'non-important' emails... Of course, in hindsight, I think every email from now on, from a corporate entity, will be stashed somewhere for later use, instead of just deleted after a month or so..
Any business that I write to in regard to firearms I use a simple online program to turn the email or hard copy(scanner) into a PDF file that I put in storage for future use.

Primopdf does it for free, without having to send your file online...

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Got a call from someone in their security dept.

He apologized profusely for the situation, but said that there is indeed a policy against having firearms in their branches..

he said it's 'something they're working on', and 'we're all cops that work here, I bet if we shook everyone down we'd find at least half of us carrying when we werent supposed to'...

He said they DID have a 'follow state law' policy, however that was rescinded because NOONE KNEW THEIR RESPECTIVE STATE LAWS and they were getting called 50x a day from different branches wanting to know what the law was in that state.. Someone higher up finally said that in order to prevent confusion they'll ust be banned. He says NOW they're having even more issues, since the branch peoples are kicking out FBI agents and Marines because the Quantico branch is 99% of the two,lol.

He agreed 100% that people should be able to carry wherever they want to, and that it's assinine to restrict people carrying legally because that's WHERE you want to be armed.

While he insisted that it was indeed against policy to carry, if noone saw it, noone could ask you to remove something they didn't see.

He again apologized profusely, apologizing for the confusion and change in policy.

Methinks it's time to start a letter campaign to the CEO/CFO.