• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police take my license

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Regardless of the detainment, what the HELL were you thinking drinking at all while carrying? Do you realize that if you've only had ONE beer and you have to shoot someone in self defense that you will probably be seriously screwed in court?

It doesn't matter how much you weigh or what the law is on carrying while impaired, it is a seriously bad judgment call to drink any alcoholic beverage while carrying.

armypilot

Burton, Texas - Wallingford, Connecticut, USA
imported post

I don't bring weapons with me when I know I might be consuming alcohol. The Glock I had on my person belonged to the friend who was driving; at Chili's, he reached for his wallet and realized he'd left it home ... and he happened to be carrying his Glock. We went to the bathroom and I took possession of it since I had my permit with me, this way he was not in any violation in case we were stopped for any reason.

This situation was, as the LEO said, "wrong place at wrong time"

Thankfully, everything has returned to normal but has made me to a lot of thinking. Clearly, I could've caught a whole lot more hell from WPD. If something like this happened again, I would stow the pistol in the trunk as soon as we got to the car, vs strapping it on my body. The insight has been invaluable and I hope others can learn from this nerve-racking experience.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

No the big one is why did you tell the police you had a drink?
If you aren't driving the car, and you yourself feel you were not drunk.
Then let them show cause to give you a sobriety test.
By admitting to 3 drinks you open yourself up to an "Expert" witness
to say that 3 drinks can make you drunk even without the breathalizer.
And since the courts don't need to follow the law you could really screw
yourself over.

Just keep asking if you are being detained while locked in the squad car.
I never heard of armed ATM robbery, guess there are some that just
don't give up the cash without the threat first, a clear violation of bank policy.
Have the machine fired.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

armypilot wrote:
I have my license on me and have 4 pistols in my trunk, from shoot earlier this week. the, of course, run the SN's on them and the come up clean.

Howmuch earlier this week was the shoot? How long were the4 pistols in the trunk?

Where they in a safe of some kind or justin the trunk?

Edward Peruta

imported post

To Army Pilot,

End your involvement in this tread, you were NOT in volation of any Connecticutlaws and have had your permit returned by the local P.D.

You should not have to defend being honest when asked a quesiton by law enforcement. They asked if you had drank and you told them the truth.

lDon't feed the issue, what happened is history, lessons were obviously learned!!

This is only my opinion,

Ed Peruta

dwayner79

imported post

THE LOVER wrote:
Ed,

I just want to say that I am glad that you are on OUR side!!!

Lenny

CCDL Founding Member

I concur. Good advice Ed. ArmyPilot, glad it worked out.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

armypilot wrote:
I don't bring weapons with me when I know I might be consuming alcohol. The Glock I had on my person belonged to the friend who was driving; at Chili's, he reached for his wallet and realized he'd left it home ... and he happened to be carrying his Glock. We went to the bathroom and I took possession of it since I had my permit with me, this way he was not in any violation in case we were stopped for any reason.

This situation was, as the LEO said, "wrong place at wrong time"

The situation with the GLOCK is kind of, shall we say, unusual.

As far asyourstatement: "I don't bring weapons with me when I know I might be consuming alcohol." the situation seems to actually be that you brought 4 of them with you. And then you acquired another along the way.

I see the possibility of sub-optimal handling of guns all through your story. Especially when you knew you "might be consuming alcohol!" Even more especially when you began actually consuming alcohol.

Why didn't you put the GLOCK in the trunk with the rest of the guns?

Guns and alcohol don't mix. Throw in some bad judgment and it's always produces some kind of problem. As you discovered.

Glad you didn't get arrested and that you got your license back. Could have been worse, I suppose.

USP

imported post

If i were you i would go talk to a lawyer and see if you can go to state police and get a new one for now then see what they say about what the police did!! Because thats BS.. And you should go back in to the police station ask for it back and if they say you were intoxicated say were is the proof that i was.. You broke no laws and thats all that matters.. and unless you did then you should not have gotten your license taken and no other action should have been taken regardless of others opinion THIS IS AMERICA!!!! Looks like Chillis is just bad luck for us 2nd amendment americans Look at the james goldberg case in ct..:D

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

USP222 wrote:
If i were you i would go talk to a lawyer and see if you can go to state police and get a new one for now then see what they say about what the police did!! Because thats BS.. And you should go back in to the police station ask for it back and if they say you were intoxicated say were is the proof that i was.. You broke no laws and thats all that matters.. and unless you did then you should not have gotten your license taken and no other action should have been taken regardless of others opinion THIS IS AMERICA!!!! Looks like Chillis is just bad luck for us 2nd amendment americans Look at the james goldberg case in ct..:D
He already got it back!! The next day. Why would he need a new one?