Thread: Interesting. :)

Post imported post

LOL I found this in the utah code and though you guys might get a kick out of this. Read through it, and you will see why.

UTAH STATE LEGISLATURE Home | Site Map | Calendar | Code/Constitution | House | Senate | Search function validate(){ var text; var d1pos; var d2pos; text = document.forms[0].gototext.value; d1pos=text.indexOf("-"); d2pos=text.lastIndexOf("-"); if (d1pos == -1 ){ //no dash means its a title window.location = "http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/chapter.jsp?code=" + text; } else if (d1pos == d2pos ){ //first and last dash are equal then its a chapter window.location = "http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/section.jsp?code=" + text; } else if (d1pos != d2pos ){ //first and last dash are different then its a section window.location = "http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/getCodeSection?code=" + text; } else{ alert("Invalid format! (Must be in the form of xx-xx-xx)"); return false; } return false; } Title/Chapter/Section:
    Utah Code Title 39 Militia and Armories
    Chapter 1 State Militia
    Section 1 Militia -- How constituted -- Persons exempted.

39-1-1. Militia -- How constituted -- Persons exempted.
    (1) All able-bodied citizens, and all able-bodied persons of foreign birth who have declared their intention to become citizens, who are 18 years of age or older and younger than 45 years of age, who are residents of this state, constitute the militia, subject to the following exemptions:
    (a) persons exempted by laws of the United States;
    (b) persons exempted by the laws of this state;
    (c) all persons who have been honorably discharged from the army, air force, navy, or volunteer forces of the United States;
    (d) active members of any regularly organized fire or police department in any city or town, but no member of the active militia is relieved from duty because of his joining any volunteer fire company or department;
    (e) judges and clerks of courts of record, state and county civil officers holding office by election, state officers appointed by the governor for a specified term of office, ministers of the gospel, practicing physicians, superintendents, officers and assistants of hospitals, prisons and jails, conductors, brakemen, flagmen, engineers and firemen of railways, and all other employees of railways actually employed in train service; and
    (f) idiots, lunatics, and persons convicted of infamous crime.
    (2) All exempted persons, except those enumerated in Subsections (a) through (f), are liable to military duty in case of war, insurrection, invasion, tumult, riot, or public disaster, or imminent danger of any of these, or after they have voluntarily enlisted in the National Guard of this state.

Gotta watch out for those idiots and lunatics out there.

Kevin
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

Post imported post

Oh, and one more thing.. Even if those idiots in Washington decide that the 2nd amendment only applies to militia, most of us are covered under this statute, right?

Post imported post

I saw that a while ago when reading through the state constitution. Welcome to the state militia.

Post imported post

Thanks. Where's the nearest chow hall? heheheh

Post imported post

im hungy too

Post imported post

I only eat at the DFAC because it is currently free.

Food's ok I guess.

Post imported post

I always preferred the one at my Home of Residence.

Post imported post

Good that you noted the statute on the militia. I've long told people of it, though most don't really believe me. The Herald Journal (Logan) did publish an article I wrote as a guest editorialist on the topic way back in 1995 (May 28). It was the time of much public furor over the rise of the militia's nationwide and I simply pointed out that is was on the books all along. I wonder if the Guv even is aware of it, let alone has any plans to ever call us up! ;-)

State Researcher

Post imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:

Gotta watch out for those idiots and lunatics out there.

Kevin
    While it reads a bit funny to our PC ears, we should remember that historically the words "idiot" and "lunatic" are the legally acceptable terms for the mentally handicapped/disabled and the mentally ill, respectively. In other words, "idiots and lunatics" was a legal term of art for what we would today lump together as "the mentally incompetent."

This wording in the statute then simply shows how long it has been since this code was updated or amended and any bill to amend this section would almost certainly also include some "clean up" language to modernize these terms.

Charles

All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.