• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would you have done?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I would have done exactly what she did, except for the horn honking. I don't care about being cut off (I learned how to drive in PR and NY).Should an asshole get out of his car and threaten me with a weapon, the story would change. As he did not seem to have a weapon in hand, I'd drive on. I do keep a 1911 stuffed between my seat and center console that takes me 1.5 seconds to draw, but that would not have been the case given this situation. Bearin mind, we onlyhear from the woman's side of the argument.

chiefjason

imported post

I'm more curious about how he would have reacted to me. I carry mine on the passenger seat, hooked to the seatbelt. There is a good chance I would have had my hand on it by the time he got to my car. He would be the aggressor if he came back to my car and then drew a weapon. That could go very bad in a hurry.

ocgso

imported post

chiefjason wrote:
I'm more curious about how he would have reacted to me. I carry mine on the passenger seat, hooked to the seatbelt. There is a good chance I would have had my hand on it by the time he got to my car. He would be the aggressor if he came back to my car and then drew a weapon. That could go very bad in a hurry.

From the article:

Later in the call, when the dispatcher says there aren’t any units nearby, the deputy replies “Well, she’s heading towards home. She lives in Clyde. So you can just cancel that. I’ll just get her tag number down and pay her a visit.”

To me this is a tell tale sign that the deputy is not the most honorable of folks, sounds like LEO who likes to bully people.

Chiefjason, I agree with you completely. I keep a 357 Mag available when I travel. If someone gets out of their car and approaches mine in what I consider a threatening manner, I will have my hand on the gun. If they were to try to open my door, they would be met with the business end of a J frame revolver.

I will say that some LEO's really do react like this, they think they are all powerful and can do what they please.

I am ashamed that a police officer would try to force his way in someone's car (if the lady's story is true). However, I am more appalled by the fact that he made the comment above to the dispatcher. I personally take that as a threat, and hope he isn't allowed to have his badge back.

Cops like that scare me, and they give all of the good ones a bad name.

chiefjason

imported post

Ocgso, did you read any of the comments? What got me is that the folks were trying to say that was "copTalk" for investigating it later or some junk. "Cop talk" or not it's way inappropriate.