• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kydex Holsters

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
No as in this won't happen with a Serpa?

Nope, no way.

A serpa is secured to the paddlewith three brass (or bronze?) screws and the polymer is super strong. If you get the duty style it's even more impossible unless superman trys to disarm you.

FYI, I bought a duty serpa for my 1911 and a QCB for my HKUSPc. The attachment points are the same so I can use the duty or paddle with either.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I've got several Serpa holsters for various guns, right side and left side. It's a great holster for the price. I consider it to be somewhat more suitable for CC because the retention system is fairly obvious, but I have OC'd with them too. The Serpa has held up well during many gun retention exercises, so I don't worry about it breaking. However I use a belt holster rather than a paddle. I have seen paddle holsters get pulled out of the pants during such exercises.

For most OC I have gone to a Safariland holster with the ALS retention. Just as fast as the Serpa, perhaps easier to activate under stress, and harder for a grabber to find.

FogRider

imported post

I noticed that the video is from 2007. I'm pretty sure that I've heard tell that Fobus fixed that problem, and I'm not sure the Serpa ever had it.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Serpas did indeed at one point have a similar problem.

There are slots in the paddle through which the screws go to affix to the holster itself. These slots are thinner than the holster itself, imagine the slots as being surrounded by "flanges" of a sort (or a single, ovular flange?).

These flanges used to be weak enough that a sharp tug could cause the screws to squeeze through, causing flexion but no fractures.

They have since reinforced the paddle. This is no longer possible, according to some dudes stronger than myself.

Just make sure you don't buy a Serpa used. Although they did have a recall, you'd have to verify if your used paddle was sent in for a replacement.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

marshaul wrote:

There are slots in the paddle through which the screws go to affix to the holster itself. These slots are thinner than the holster itself, imagine the slots as being surrounded by "flanges" of a sort (or a single, ovular flange?).

These flanges used to be weak enough that a sharp tug could cause the screws to squeeze through, causing flexion but no fractures.

They have since reinforced the paddle. This is no longer possible, according to some dudes stronger than myself.

Just make sure you don't buy a Serpa used. Although they did have a recall, you'd have to verify if your used paddle was sent in for a replacement.
I also recall some controversy and claims that the Serpa, when used under stress, leaves one open to the possibility of inserting ones finger inside the trigger guard during the draw because the finger may be wildly flailing for the release mechanism. In particular this was a Glock or similar design-related gun problem. The result is shooting one's self in the leg or foot while drawing. Personally, I don't feel it's a risk, and probably would not be a risk for anyone who has put in enough time practicing the draw-- as anyone who carries for combative purposes will surely make the effort to do. Right?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

With both of my Serpas my finger naturallyends up on the slide above the trigger when drawing. I personally need to make a concious effort to put my finger inside the trigger guard.

old dog

imported post

This is a minor point I suppose, but how does a Kydex affect the gun's finish? I'm very careful about by weapons and try to minimize the wear.

I raise this because I'm beginning to think of getting one or two. They must be pretty good since some of the experts on TV shooting shows use them.

Also, can anyone tell me if a Kydex is available for my S&W Model 24-3?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

old dog wrote:
This is a minor point I suppose, but how does a Kydex affect the gun's finish? I'm very careful about by weapons and try to minimize the wear.

I raise this because I'm beginning to think of getting one or two. They must be pretty good since some of the experts on TV shooting shows use them.

Also, can anyone tell me if a Kydex is available for my S&W Model 24-3?
I like it because it's fast. It does wear on the finish some, but at least it does not retain moisture as leather does. The Safariland holster I have has a suede or suede-like liner. Repeated use of the Serpa holsters have left minor wear on one side of the slide on my Glocks.

AaronS

imported post

Wear marks from a good holster, just make the gun come out faster!

If you carry every day, your gun will show it. It is just a tool...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
marshaul wrote:

I also recall some controversy and claims that the Serpa, when used under stress, leaves one open to the possibility of inserting ones finger inside the trigger guard during the draw because the finger may be wildly flailing for the release mechanism.  In particular this was a Glock or similar design-related gun problem.  The result is shooting one's self in the leg or foot while drawing.  Personally, I don't feel it's a risk, and probably would not be a risk for anyone who has put in enough time practicing the draw-- as anyone who carries for combative purposes will surely make the effort to do.  Right?
I played around with this and found that, when I first got the holster, if I tried to draw rapidly without consciously going through the steps, I would disengage the lock with my finger curled in, pressing with the tip, rather than the proper usage: with my finger extended straight, pressing with the flat of the first segment of the first finger.

If the gun is removed in the first fashion, it is likely that the forefinger will end up on the frame, pointing inwards. It's fairly easy to see how one could slip from this to having a finger in the trigger guard, conveniently flexed to inadvertently manipulate the trigger.

However, it is trivial to practice the correct finger placement to the point that it becomes muscle memory.

Just always remember, when you're practicing, your Step 1 should not be "depress button", but should be "Lay finger flat across button", with a Step 2 of "depress button and begin to pull up on weapon to initiate draw".

Or something like that.

I'm long since at the point where I avoid going for the button with a curled finger, even when under (self-induced) stress.

Sidearm.40

imported post

I agree. I had read a couple posting about this "design flaw" of Serpa holsters. I have played and played and played and have not had my finger end up in the trigger. If I draw with a curved finger it ends up either on the slide or just under the slide on the frame of the gun, granted just above the trigger and as Marshall noted can see how someone could end up with a finger on the trigger. NOT a design flaw, a user error!! If drawn as the gun should be, my extended trigger finger lays just under the slide and just above the trigger (right where it should be). These are my favorite after trying a Fobus and a similar Safariland. All good holsters by the way, I just liked the retention and feel of the Serpa better than the other two! However, YMMV!!

smithman

imported post

Sidearm.40 wrote:
I agree. I had read a couple posting about this "design flaw" of Serpa holsters.
Design flaw is quite a loose term here I think. It is a "user issue" if you ask me. Now, certainly there are some retention methods which the action of extracting the firearm will produce different finger placement. However, I have never had problems with my trigger finger ending up on the trigger when drawing from a SERPA. If you have a large trigger guard that is way bigger than normal it may be a problem, but for a normal carry piece I don't see it as being an issue. In my opinion a trigger finger which goes across the trigger guard horizontally is better for a self-defense situation as opposed to a finger which rides higher up on the bottom of the slide. The SERPA does this well.