• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Open Carry Experience

dvdaughtry

imported post

Just ran a quick set of errands to Target and Harris Teeter with my Taurus PT 140 on my right side. Even had the wife and 6 week old with me!

Pretty non eventful, however.

Only stir at Target was an employee in the electronics department that was making too many laps around me. We never spoke, but it was obvious he was watching me. Then on my way to check out, the uniformed security guard was on his way toward electronics. We passed each other with out eye contact (he passed on my left, and gun is on my right).

At Harris Teeter, a teenaged girl noticed and whispered to her mom. My wife, daughter and I went about our business. We were picking up some hot dogs when two people walked up briskly behind me. I little startled, I got out of their way as it seemed to needing to look in the same place we were.

Then I look up and notice it was the girl and mother. Again, no words exchanged. They put back the box of bacon and walked off.

I would say 98% of the people did not even notice. And I also believe I made a breakthrough with my wife when she said without any coaxing "I guess it is just something that people are not used to."

abbradsh

imported post

Glad you had a positive first OC experience. It doesn't take long to realize that most people are oblivious to the fact that you are carrying a gun. Most people just aren't observant enough, but that plays to our advantage as it keeps negative incidents to a minimum :D.