• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Curious about local bank policies...

Mechman

imported post

I do business at Bank of America. Is anyone familiar with their policies regarding handguns? Not sure I would be too comfortable doing open carry into a bank...but would opt for concealed ( I have a CHP).

Would appreciate any of your thoughts...perhaps some of you have had some experiences at BoA??

26 July UPDATE TO ORIGINAL POST

Thanks to everyone for your feedback! I really appreciate it. I now feel much more comfortable OCing at BoA. I am actually looking forward to giving it a try next time I have business there.

hsmith

imported post

Mechman wrote:
I do business at Bank of America. Is anyone familiar with their policies regarding handguns? Not sure I would be too comfortable doing open carry into a bank...but would opt for concealed ( I have a CHP).

Would appreciate any of your thoughts...perhaps some of you have had some experiences at BoA??
i rarely go into the bank, but i have oc'd to bank of america w/o an issue before

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Presume you are in Va. - your profile doesn't say.

Only banks I can think of that are anti are BB&T and Wachovia.

Wachovia was bought out by Wells Fargo and is in the process of changing to pro.

I regularly OC in SunTrust, Bank of America, 1st Market Bank and the Virginia Credit Union. Never had a problem even with security company personnel or local LEOs in these banks.

Check out the dinners or picnics near you and hear of the growing number of positive daily experiences first hand. Good way to get to know fellow OCers too. They're family style events normally, so bring the spouse or significent other.

Yata hey

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mechman wrote:

I OC in my local BofA branch regularly.. no problems here...

Glock27Bill

imported post

I switched from Wachovia to Sun Trust because of their policy.

I oc there all the time. I was ocing when I opened my account and had to wait for 20 minutes for someone to help me do it.

Never any problems.

eta: I was wearing my VCDL shirt when I opened my account, maybe that helped. :)

wylde007

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
Anyone one been in a Wachovia of late? Has this changed happen?
The doors at Mustang, Haygood and Little Neck all still have the "no guns" emblem up.

The Wells Fargo switch will not be 100% for probably another 8-12 months.

I have not asked them about it recently, but I have OC'ed in the Little Neck branch once or twice. Usually when I forget that I'm OC'ing. I mean, it's just so natural that it doesn't occur to me to switch sometimes.

Imagine that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Wachovia was bought out by Wells Fargo and is in the process of changing to pro.

Richmond Wachovia branches -

Staples Mill and Broad - signs that were on glass are gone.

Broad St. across from old Seaboard building - stamped in metal door push bar - still in evidence.

These are the only ones in Richmond that I have checked.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Icetera wrote:
Anyone have experience with Virginia Credit Union? I always CC, but need to attempt an OC one day. The problem is, when I go to the bank I am usually on a time crunch (damn banker's hours) and hate to risk it.
I have an account there and always OC - have had discussions with local managers about other issues - never the first problem with my OCing.

Yata hey

AbNo

imported post

I've OC'd at BoA a few times (right before I closed my account for other reasons). Never really had a problem out of them, only a couple of comments.

curtiswr

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
DonTreadOnMe wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Broad St. across from old Seaboard building - stamped in metal door push bar - still in evidence.

Yata hey

The Wachovia next to Sheetz on W. Broad, just past Glenside still has the sign on the door. I was CCing at the time I went in so I'm not sure what the reaction would have been like had I been OCing.

Does anyone have a concrete statement from HQ, similar to the famous Home Depot letter, saying that because of the buyout Wachovia branches are positively not anti now? It could prove helpful in an encounter with an ill-informed branch manager.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
DonTreadOnMe wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

The Wachovia next to Sheetz on W. Broad, just past Glenside still has the sign on the door. I was CCing at the time I went in so I'm not sure what the reaction would have been like had I been OCing.

Does anyone have a concrete statement from HQ, similar to the famous Home Depot letter, saying that because of the buyout Wachovia branches are positively not anti now? It could prove helpful in an encounter with an ill-informed branch manager.
Still best to leave without confrontation as an ill informed manager who may be in violation of corporate policy is still legally in a position to have you charged. Best to straighten these things out in the calm and safety of letters and/or phone calls.

As to an official letter from Wells Fargo, I have not seen one and such will likely not be forthcoming. Pro letters are extremely rare - I suspect for fear of potential liability.

What is known is that WF (Wells Fargo) has a reported policy of honoring the laws of the state in which they are located. Since the take over of Wachovia, changes/removal of NG (No Guns) signs has been progressing at a sporadic rate.

It has been reported to me personally by a contact in Florida that all NG signs have been removed there. Locally, we have seen some gone and others still up. Apparently this is not a major rush thing for Wells Fargo/Wachovia and I can relate to that with all of their major internal policy/procedural adjustments. Eventually all of the branches will have major signage change programs to show the WF name in big bold marque letters. Likely then that the door signs will become more uniform.

Yata hey

curtiswr

imported post

You mean challenging the manager and getting a "man at bank with a gun" call wouldn't be a good idea? ...Yeah you're probably right. :lol:

I am mostly interested in whether or not it was officially stated by WF anywhere. If there were an encounter with a manager I would leave immediately and then try to follow up via written correspondence with him/her or by way of corporate and me staying out of it accept to follow up and see if the sign was removed. I learned from another incident that it's best not to challenge an emotionally charged someone on the spot.

I normally don't even go into banks, yesterday was the first time in years. I prefer the ATM or the drive through; I just don't like being inside the places (has nothing to do with fear of a bank robbery... I just plain don't like being in them. :p)

I've been meaning to check the two Wachovias in Carytown for the signage or lack thereof; I will try to look today.