• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My gun committed suicide today...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

leeland wrote:
...Once I've put a few hundred rounds through it to verify it operates well, this is my new night time bedside gun. Don't want to wake the neighbors if I have to take down an intruder. ;)

Isn't a rig like that kind of unwieldy to be a SD gun? Don't you lose something with the extra length?

What is the benefit of the suppressor in that application?

rmodel65

imported post

HankT wrote:
leeland wrote:
...Once I've put a few hundred rounds through it to verify it operates well, this is my new night time bedside gun. Don't want to wake the neighbors if I have to take down an intruder. ;)

Isn't a rig like that kind of unwieldy to be a SD gun? Don't you lose something with the extra length?

wouldnt you want them to wake?? so that they could 911

leeland

imported post

Jeesh. I don't get on the forum very often and so I'm just seeing your questions now. I'll try to answer what I can inline with your questions:

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
soooo it broke on july 25. you still hadnt sent it in on july 30. its got a life time warrenty. so then 12 days later its done and back?
Yes. You have the timeline about right. I didn't contact H&K for at least a few days, then spent a few days battling with them, then overnighted the gun, they had a maybe 2 days and overnighted it back.

and you were testing suppessors, i dont see one on the gun. did it blow off? were you not using one right then? had you tried one on that gun before?
I was not using a suppressor (and one had not been on the gun before). The suppressor arrived shortly after the gun came back from service. FWIW, I've taken it to the range since it came back and it functions beautifuly with the suppressor (which is what it was purchased for to begin with).

what exactly was the ammunition? was that case tight in the bore?
The ammo was factory Remington. I had to upt a dowel down the barrel and pound the case out. It was in there HARD.

did you have a trusted gunsmith check it out?
I did not have it examined before sending it to H&K.

in the 2nd pic, why is there a powder burn lengthwise on your left hand?
The powder burn on my left hand was where it was wrapped around the bottom of the mag well. My right hand had a burn running the other way from the split down the side.

how old is that gun? how many rounds thru it?
The gun was used and purchased locally. The reported round count when I purchased it was "around 500".

if you manage to shoot 3 or 4 thousand rounds thru it, and it doesnt blow up?
till then i wouldnt trust it to defend my family.
I thought it would be clear from my little wink-eye emoticon (;)) that I was kidding about using this for family defense. I have other guns to serve that role.

leeland

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
HankT wrote:
leeland wrote:

wouldnt you want them to wake?? so that they could 911
Please note the emoticon (;)). I was kidding about using this gun in its displayed configuration as a personal defence weapon (yes that would be impractical). That being said, the suppressor weighs less than you would imagine (only 5.2 ounces). The weapon still has an acceptable balance and feel.

For me, this gun is really all about fun. It's amusing to shoot .45ACP without needing hearing protection, and it really takes all the bite out of the recoil.

Wangmuf

imported post

marshaul wrote:
thx997303 wrote:
Don't you know, they're H&K, and if you are not an operator, they hate you.

Whatever. You just can't understand that a true operator needs a gun that can feed from a magazine no matter how he loads it.

I lol'd. What product piece is this? Just a promotional pamphlet, or literature that comes with the gun?

This seals the deal, H&K is my next pistol. I know my M&P won't feed a backwards round, much less a mag full of them.

b1ack5mith

imported post

Im gonna sell my ruger blackhawk rig and buy a sig mosquito (since its near full size) with a threaded barrel, and ill be getting a suppressor when im 21 :p what do gemtek suppressors cost? (after the 200$ tax)

I know the .22 isnt a great self defense cartridge, however, with enough training (which is cheap enough in .22) you can get head shots easier...

*updated* meh i think ill stick with a glock 17 or 22. ill get a p22 or mosquito further down the road.

Thundar

imported post

leeland wrote:
The gun was used and purchased locally. The reported round count when I purchased it was "around 500".
Leeland,

It is very difficult to trust reports that go along with used guns.

Did you have the gun checked out by a gunsmith after you bought it? I

Anybody that doesnot have gunsmithing skills, should have a gunsmith examine any used firearm thatthey obtain.

b1ack5mith

imported post

hey, one of us should go to armory school :D i know that theres one in DEC in CO, for SIGsauer, 395$ to become fully certified, AND anything you buy while youre there is 20% off

IanB

imported post

What good is a warranty if they won't honor it unless it was sitting on a shelf? this sounds like BS to me, I'd have made them repair it at their cost, of made a HUGE stink about it all over the interwebs.

kirkaroberts

imported post

leeland wrote:
On a happier note, my wife had a good time. She spent most of the time on her suppressed Walther P22, but took a definite liking to the new Sig P226 with a Gemtech Multimount on it. :)
Hey, have you ever had any trouble with that Walther P22? I just bought one and it jams all the time. Sometimes it even fires but doesn't cycle the action at all. The action can then be cycled by hand and it will continue to fire normally. I know it requires High Velocity ammunition as indicated on page 6 of of manual. I tried two different types of fully jacketed ammo and got the same result with both. I have cleaned it meticulously. Can you recommend good ammunition for this gun or is there something really wrong and should I just take it back while it is under warranty. I have always thought of Walthers as top notch guns as far as quality. It is really fun to shoot when it works. Walther's warranties kind of suck and I don't want to go beyond the one year.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

The P22 can be a great little gun after a little TLC. They have some flaws from the factory, but nothing that can't be fixed.

Read the "P22 Bible". There is a wealth of information here. http://www.freespeech.com/1917-1911M_P22_bible.pdf

My wife's P22 has a lot of jamming and feeding problems as well, and I plan on using the techniques in the "bible" to make it run smooth. :cool:

kirkaroberts

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
The P22 can be a great little gun after a little TLC. They have some flaws from the factory, but nothing that can't be fixed.

Read the "P22 Bible". There is a wealth of information here. http://www.freespeech.com/1917-1911M_P22_bible.pdf

My wife's P22 has a lot of jamming and feeding problems as well, and I plan on using the techniques in the "bible" to make it run smooth. :cool:
Excellent. Thanks for the info and the link. After further investigation I think I need to shoot some hotter rounds through it too. Apparently some manufacturer's definition of high velocity may differ slightly from others. The gun is quite fun though.

scorpioajr

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:

99 pages of .PDF to help one take a brand new NIB Walther P-22 and turn it into a functional gun. Am i missing something, what with the $250-$350+ price tags on these things??

Who buys a new car with the expectations that it is going to suck but no worries, i own a shop manual and an OBD2 tool. I don't get it. But there is a lot i don't get, so don't take any of it personally.
Owned mine for a couple months. GREAT gun. Fun to Carry. Couldn't depend on it. Sold it.

Good luck guys.

kirkaroberts

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:

99 pages of .PDF to help one take a brand new NIB Walther P-22 and turn it into a functional gun. Am i missing something, what with the $250-$350+ price tags on these things??

Who buys a new car with the expectations that it is going to suck but no worries, i own a shop manual and an OBD2 tool. I don't get it. But there is a lot i don't get, so don't take any of it personally.
Owned mine for a couple months. GREAT gun. Fun to Carry. Couldn't depend on it. Sold it.

Good luck guys.
Yeah, I think I will try some different ammo and then take it back while it is under warranty if that doesn't fix it. They will fix it for 1 year. There is good info in the PDF but you are right, it should work correctly as manufactured. Walther makes nice weapons, or so I have always believed, and this one should be no different. I do not modify guns personally. It scares me. I just do not have the individual weapon knowledge to trust it.

kirkaroberts

imported post

kirkaroberts wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:

Good luck guys.
Yeah, I think I will try some different ammo and then take it back while it is under warranty if that doesn't fix it. They will fix it for 1 year. There is good info in the PDF but you are right, it should work correctly as manufactured. Walther makes nice weapons, or so I have always believed, and this one should be no different. I do not modify guns personally. It scares me. I just do not have the individual weapon knowledge to trust it.

I know there are those of you who can take a NIB gun and make it better with some tweaking. I am unfortunately not one of you. I love the bible though. There is a lot of good information in there, however, it just has to work for me. I changed Ammo. On the advice of the folks at Impact Guns and Simith & Edwards I tried two different new rounds. The first one was Winchester X Super 22 LR Power Point HP's with a 40 grain bullet and 1280 FPS. Thinking that a larger bullet with the higher velocity would create an equal and opposite reaction. It did. I shot several hundred rounds, many of them as fast as I could possibly pull the trigger for the entire magazine, trying to make it jam. I am happy to report that I could not make it jam with this ammo. I also tried some Aguila .22 LR Supermaximum Hyper Velocity rounds with 30 grain bullets. The box claims they are the, "Fastest .22 cartridge in the world!". I did the same thing with these rounds and could not make it jam. I guess the 38 grain American Eagle High Velocity bullets and the Federal 36 grain high velocity rounds just weren't good for that pistol. They work great in my rifles though. My faith in Walther has been mostly fixed, although I don't like the fact that the gun is that picky about ammo. Oh well, it's still a blast. Thanks for the help.