• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you measure 1000 ft?

KylaGWolf

imported post

stuckinchico wrote:
however i believe tht interferes with interstate commerce and isnt that illegal?
At this point I dont care if it does or not. What it does do is make it illegal for me to get my gun out of my house if this passes.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
My entire property is just barely within the 1500 foot proposed zone. Can you believe it? :(
Mine too. As it is, I can barely get out of town without crossing a school zone. If the zone is expanded, I'll have to keep it locked up pretty much all the time.

If they remove the locked container exemption, I won't be able to transport my firearm at all... until the law is struck down by the courts.

Like I said, this legislation sounds REALLY bad, but it just makes it that much easier to get rid of the "zones" completely. Let's hope our legislators do us the favor of shooting themselves in the foot.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Maybe we can mount a protest near a gun range. . .

I recall several ranges here in the LA area that have a single road leading to the range where a school is present.

If the law passes we drive nearby and all carry rifles in soft cases on our backs walking to the range.

Tomahawk

imported post

KylaGWolf wrote:
stuckinchico wrote:
bigtoe416 wrote:
Say we couldn't carry firearms with locked containers through a school zone, and say you were transporting a firearm on a plane, and the plane flew through a school zone (but at 35,000 feet in the air), would you be the school zone? I think we can all agree that you would not
Wait what is there a new law that I am missing about locked containers?????
Um yep when they are extending the new school zone they removed the locked container clause so it would even be illegal with your gun in a locked container :(
Citation, please.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Citation, please.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_0651-0700/ab_668_bill_20090601_amended_asm_v97.html

(2) When a lawfully possessed pistol, revolver, or other firearm
capable of being concealed on the person is unloaded and is in a
locked container inside a motor vehicle or unloaded and inside a
locked trunk of a motor vehicle.
This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful
transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in
accordance with state law , including the otherwise lawful
possession or lawful transportation of a firearm, other than a
pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon
the person, located within a vehicle while the
vehicle is
on the driveway or the parking lot of a school
They didn't remove it completely, but made it so the exception only applies while your locked container is in a motor vehicle.

If, for example, you live in a school zone and have to park on the street, there will be no legal way for you to transport that locked container from your private property to the vehicle.

And if you don't own a vehicle at all... I guess the legislature thinks you have no business owning a gun.

coolusername2007

imported post

Theseus wrote:

I recall several ranges here in the LA area that have a single road leading to the range where a school is present.

If the law passes we drive nearby and all carry rifles in soft cases on our backs walking to the range.

Here's an idea, lets print up hundreds of those signs that say "attn criminals: gun free zone, law abiding citizens have been disarmed for your convenience"and post them everywhere within the zones...literally plaster them everywhere. We could print up hundreds of regular paper signs at very little cost. Here's an example of one from jpfo.org that could be used, or we could slightly modify it. I don't think a "public education" campaignthat might cause the sheeple's eyes to bulge a little is out of order. We could modify this sign to include a UOC message as well. Signage ordinances might a problem though.

handbill-gunfreezone2-s.jpg

KS_to_CA

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Theseus wrote:

Here's an idea, lets print up hundreds of those signs that say "attn criminals: gun free zone, law abiding citizens have been disarmed for your convenience"and post them everywhere within the zones...literally plaster them everywhere. We could print up hundreds of regular paper signs at very little cost. Here's an example of one from jpfo.org that could be used, or we could slightly modify it. I don't think a "public education" campaignthat might cause the sheeple's eyes to bulge a little is out of order. We could modify this sign to include a UOC message as well. Signage ordinances might a problem though.

handbill-gunfreezone2-s.jpg
"Attention Criminals
This is a Gun Free Zone
All law abiding citizens have been disarmed
Courtesy of the CA Legislators, Namely: ... "

This should catch everybody's attention, including parents who are sitting on the fence, or parents who don't have a clue. Let's see how the legislators explain this. It would be ... priceless.