• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Posting inflammatory comments on this forum

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Didn't want to further derail the other thread, so I'll post the quotes here so we can continue the conversation, if anybody is so inclined.

stuckinchico wrote:
Lol i havent been banned yet [from CalGuns.net] but my signature which reads" Obama: Another black man in government housing" keeps getting taken off LEAVE IT ALONE TURD BURGLARS

CA_Libertarian wrote:

The comment appears to me to be rather racist. I don't think that helps our cause.

stuckinchico wrote:
Truth dont make it racist....... I point out his remarks when he pulled the race card enough said
I don't think that is "enough said." In fact, I feel a rant coming on, so brace yourself. :cuss:

First, let me say that I hope you don't take any of this personally. From your posts here, I think you will instead appreciate my candor (even we continue to disagree).

I believe firmly in the right to say what you want. Of course, the mods can censor us, as this is "private property" owned by people other than you and me. But let's just pretend for a moment that they don't care what we post.

Whether true or not, the problem with making inflammatory statements is that it distracts from the message. I believe most of us are here to exchange knowledge, to cultivate a support network, and to persuade others.

Until you mentioned it, I didn't know you were quoting the president. Either I'm extremely "out of the loop" or this quote isn't common knowledge. Without that citation, your comment appears unintelligent and bigoted. While we know that nobody speaks for anybody else on this forum, it's possible a newcomer would presume we all are unintelligent and bigoted.

So, my suggestion is that if you are going to quote a racist/bigoted comment, give credit where credit is due. I suggest also providing a citation and link to a reputable source for your quote.

Better yet, keep bigotry off this forum, unless it furthers our goal of bring liberty back to the state of California.

I hope you take my suggestions as nothing more than friendly advice. My goal is not to insult anybody, but to introduce reason to the conversation.

stuckinchico

imported post

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

LOl looks like we got a train going... Sorry politically correct aint my foray... I worked most my life in fields where seconds count and jobs have to be done thats where my bluntness comes from

How do we quote CNN OR common knowledge??

pullnshoot25

imported post

stuckinchico, there is nothing wrong with being blunt AND objective.

We are ambassadors in the public eye and as such should be taking the moral high ground in all that we do, packing or not, analog or digital.

With that, CARRY ON!

-N8

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

stuckinchico wrote:
...Sorry politically correct aint my foray... I worked most my life in fields where seconds count and jobs have to be done thats where my bluntness comes from

I too, abstain from political correctness in my private life. I won't get into it, but let's just say that I normally don't give a rat's ass if the truth offends anybody. However, I conduct myself differently when the situation requires it. And I think it does in this case. I very much like pullnshoot25's terminology: we are "ambassadors in the public eye" - whether we like it or not.

As for quoting CNN: If it's on their website somewhere, then post a link. If you're citing an TV broadcast, then it's a bit more tricky. If it's spoken word on TV, then quote the news anchor, and the name of the program, as well as the date aired.

Common knowledge? You can't cite common knowledge. Not everybody reads the same newspapers (do they even print those anymore?), and not everybody watches the same TV programs.

I did a brief search of Google, and the only hits that came up where people posting on forums, which is not good for citing. In fact, your posts here and on CGN were 4 of the top 5 hits for my search! This leads me to believe the wording is wrong for my search, or the quote is simply internet bullshit.

pullnshoot25

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
It's a double whammy, racist and homophobic. "Turd burglars" is a derisive term for homosexual. Or at least that's how I learned it when I grew up.
I had no idea that was a derisive term! We use that term for dogs all the time since they are constantly eating crap.

Tomahawk

imported post

stuckinchico wrote:
LOl looks like we got a train going... Sorry politically correct aint my foray... I worked most my life in fields where seconds count and jobs have to be done thats where my bluntness comes from

You're not being politically incorrect or blunt. And you've obviously got time to waste because you spend it posting here like the rest of us.

No, you're just being an @sshole. You like to stir the crap because you think it's funny.

I would be okay with that, except that when you do it here, on OCDO, it hurts our purpose, which is to persuade people, including black people who may or may not have lived in public housing, to embrace the cause of protecting, promoting, and excercising the right to keep and bear arms.

1. Be an @sshole and amuse yourself and other trolls who think you're cute.

2. Grow up and learn to write in a civilized manner when it reflects on others.

Pick one.