• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laser sights

Mechman

imported post

Everyone...

I am giving thought to purchasing a Veridian green laser sight for my Taurus PT 24/7 pistol. Any of you have any experience with these sights? If so, what would you say about them?

markand

imported post

I have red Crimson Trace lasers on 4 handguns and like them very much. I don't have any experience with green lasers, but thought I would pass along this from Crimson Trace.

Green Laser:

From the Crimson Trace FAQ forum page (respondent is a Crimson Trace employee, of course, and Crimson Trace does NOT make a green laser):
http://forums.crimsontrace.com/index.php?topic=33880.0

When Will Crimson Trace Make a Green Laser? « on: February 04, 2008, 02:29:36 PM »
First allow me to address the hype of green lasers. A lot of laser manufactures are hyping green as the 2nd coming of laser sighting technology. Marketing buzz phrases like "50 times brighter than red," "Day Visible," "Brighter under all conditions," etc.... and they look pretty cool on TV right?

Green laser do one thing semi well and everything else pretty poorly. The one thing they do better than red is they do appear brighter. Power regulations are the same for both colors (can be up to 5mw) so we are talking about a difference of color only and that green is more sensitive to the human eye to see. Under sunlight green is easier to see than red, but all lasers regardless of color mute under bright sunlight, green is no exception. The brighter the sunlight the more the laser will mute until it is visibly useless to the shooter, the difference is with a green laser more bright sunlight is needed to mute it then red.

The problem is being the color green is easier for the human eye to see, under low light conditions (the conditions you are much more likely to need to use your laser equipped firearm in self defense) green offers some very real disadvantages. Under low light the green laser will splash off the target terribly making it difficult to discern the dot. Also under low light conditions the green laser itself is visible, one nice line from shooter to target. Finally under low light conditions the green laser will illuminate your surroundings (this is especially true inside buildings) like a green LED flashlight.

Furthermore green lasers are an IR diode with a chip that brings the color down into the green spectrum, because of this green lasers are 10 times less battery efficient than the current red. Also green diodes are much more fragile and more prone to temperature variations than the long proven red diodes.

To summarize, green lasers are currently not a good "all purpose" laser like the current red lasers are. I am personally of the opinion green lasers should be used or selected only for specialized tasks or missions where engaging bad guys under sunlight will be likely. Green is more of a specialized usage laser choice like IR than a good every day carry, all purpose, what you want on your gun 24/7, color choice like the red is.

As to the question at hand....

Will Crimson Trace ever make a green laser?

I have learned to never say never in this industry but at this time no. Until technology moves forward enough to eliminate problems like green diodes being fragile, being susceptible to temperature variations, and the battery drain problem, it likely will not be until these hurdles can be overcome.

Mechman

imported post

Thanks for the great feedback! This article brought out some facts about green diodes that I was not at all familiar with. It will help me in my decision to purchase a laser sighting product for sure!

GlocksRfun

imported post

I have a Lasermax in 2 Glocks and I'm a fan. I would maybe put a green laser on a rifle, where long outdoor shots are taken. I prefer red for short and/or indoor shots. With the green laser being more visible, unwanted reflections will probably mess with your eye worse than the red. I've found a mirror where I don't remember putting one. Or any metalic object. Just my $.02

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

I have CT laser grips for three carry guns andtwo range guns.

Gawd, I love those things. :exclaim:

I'm a little hesitant to go green, though.

Jay Gatz

imported post

As you go above the 5mW level the differences in visibility between red and green really begin to differ, especially at length(lasers that are visible for miles in green are available). Because of this people see green and the hype from the higher ones comes to mind and they think that at the 5mW level the green is amazingly awesome and the red is just boring.

When it comes to choosing optics, I'd recommend trying both laser options side by side in different lighting conditions to see which one behaves in a maner that your eyes like.

Glock_21Carrier

imported post

Laser Max. Reliable, LONG battery life, practice drawing regularly for a year now with it, and no battery issues. Although pricey the quality is life long and worthwhile. pluss extremely accurate at CQB ranges..... i.e..across the hall or to the corner mart door.

Also will not affect exterior or size of weapon at all, maintaining factory size and functionality of weapon. i.e...holsters

Draw backs: Price. and when you shoot more than 3 mags or so "39 rounds for me" you will begin to see the laser fade slightly. this is due to GSR wanting to gunk up on laser port as it is located directly below barrel "it replaces spring"

I shouldn't think you would be placing that many rounds towards your foe without making your mark.

Highly suggest it.

Glocky