• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What type of ammo do you carry?

spartans

imported post

Just wondering what is popular around these parts? Hollow points? FMJ?

Is there any restrictions on types of ammo?

Dahwg

imported post

Federal HST 147 gr. Really hard to find these days, but I have a nice stash... er I did before the damned boating accident.

hst-147-small.jpg

Federal HST 147grain
Comments: Excellent penetration and huge expansion too. I was shocked at how well these did. They were very uniform (even the undersides)
and penetrated an inch deeper then the HST 124's. Probably one of the best (if not THE best) rounds you can carry for self defence in a 9mm.
On the far right is a Golden Saber 147gr for comparison.

Quote from the poster who took these pics and did the test over at www.btfh.net

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dahwg wrote:
er I did before the damned boating accident.
Good lord, if it weren't for those boating accidents, I'd have a fortune... The government really should put tighter restrictions on boats...

Lew

imported post

spartans wrote:
Just wondering what is popular around these parts? Hollow points? FMJ?
Anything I can get, really. I have a hard time finding much of anything. I carry .45 230gr FMJ.

Thoreau

imported post

I always keep 180gr Speer Gold Dots loaded (.40). Only got them based on a recommendation from a friend who has a lot of law enforcement in his family, and they're kinda expensive (especially these days) but I can't find a flaw with them and it's not like I need a lot to go plinknig with them =)

As far as restrictions, the only 'restrictions' I could think of in AZ would be things that are restricted at the federal level. For example, the AP rounds that FNH makes in 5.7mm are illegal (or at least impossible to obtain) for non-LE users. I'd say that tracers are an issue, but they are perfectly LEGAL in AZ. (Just make sure you don't burn the desert down, hehe.) Other than that, and probably some other armor piercing rounds, I really can't think of any specific ammo type that would be restricted in AZ.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I carry cheap rainier plated slugs in my own -P reloads.

Better than the mag full of nothing I would have otherwise...

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I dunno... .45 acp FMJ Ball... the hottest of whateverI can get when I can get it.

r6-rider

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
I dunno... .45 acp FMJ Ball... the hottest of whateverI can get when I can get it.
thats pretty much how iv been lately. found a box of FMJs for a good deal so i loaded that up until i found one JHP hiding in my couch so thats my first shot then all FMJ after that.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Arizona Gun Emporium at Thorneydale 'n Orange Grove's got some ammo! 'Least they did yesterday. Picked up 2 boxes ea. of .38 spl 'n .40 S&W for my wife. 'Bout $102. for the lot... :( but at least I could replenish the larder. She was down to about 20 rounds.

imported post

"Arizona Gun Emporium at Thorneydale 'n Orange Grove's got some ammo! 'Least they did yesterday. Picked up 2 boxes ea. of .38 spl 'n .40 S&W for my wife. 'Bout $102. for the lot... :( but at least I could replenish the larder. She was down to about 20 rounds."

Holy Crapoly! I know I've been out of the commercial ammo loop for a while now, since I'm doing my own reloads, but sheesh!

I went and looked at the price of a box of S&B 45 FMJ (like the last commercial I bought quite a while back). I think I paid $18 a box back then, and Cheaper-than-Dirt wants $38 per box now!

What the heck happened?

chevy350

imported post

I carry a .45 cal 267 grain hollow point.

Ya there is no ammo left any more everybody is on a spending fenzy for ammo, i also reload as well and the main problem i have is finding primers for small bore rounds i have gotten the primers for large bore rounds by the boat loads just because i guess it is harder to conceal a large bore weapon.