• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Point of View . . Pro-Second Amendment & Pro-Choice

N00blet45

imported post

yale wrote:
N00blet45 wrote:
No restrictions at all. If you're not in a prison or mental ward you should be allowed access to a firearm without asking for government permission. If you're walking free you've obviously not been convicted of a crime or declare mentally insane via due process. Or you were once a felon/crazy person but are now fit to be on the outside and thus you should have your rights back.

If you're free you're free, period. If you have to ask anyone's permission you're not free.

I have to disagree with you there. I have to deal with mental patients and criminals on a regular basis at work. They get released from prison or mental wards regularly and walk the same streets you and I do. They go shopping at Wal-mart and go to Burger King just like we do. They are free to walk the streets but have serious issues which make me glad many of them are restricted from owning guns legally.

Don't try to argue that if you aren't in a mental ward then you should be allowed to have agun when I spent my last shift pulling security at a downtown hospital having to tie a mental patient to a gurney in the ER as he tried to bite, scratch and spit on everyone in the room. The guy didn't even know what planet we were on.

Not 10 minutes after dealing with him I was responding to a radio call for All Available Units back in the ER. Again, we had another mental patient who we had to wrestle ont a bed and tie down as he tried to spit on, kick and bite the 4 officers and half a dozen nurses we had in the room.

Later I had to standby as the ER was put on lockdown because a shooting victim had arrived and outside the parking lot was filling up with a couple dozen thugs who all wanted to get in to rally around their homie and then go get some payback. I swear everyone of them had their pantshangingbelow their ass.

I've got homeless people who are walking around wearing 5 pairs of pants at a timesoaked in their piss and trying to break into cars in the parking garage. They see me get out of my unit and pull my maglight and they start screaming that I'm going to beat them. :? Seems they are used to being beat and can trun violent in a heartbeat.

I have looneys who see me on patrol who are so cracked out of their minds that they accuse me of working for the CIA. They wander into the middle of a 4 lane road and stagger away talking to voices in their heads.

I see ex-cons who remember me from when they were in prison and I was assigned to stand there with a rifle and a pistol and ensure that they didn't run off. Now they are on the streets and I'm in uniform in their 'hood driving around trying to keep them from breaking into buildings which should have been bulldozed to the ground months ago.

Losers with 3 brain cells, no home and no reason to live telling me to "Shoot me. If I had a gun I'd kill you. Owww. You broke my *****ng arm. "

Violent sociopaths, mental patients who refuse to stay on their medications, bunch of bipolar retards, on and on. There are lots of people out walking the streets who have no business anywhere near a firearm. You can talk about freedom and responsibility but I've seen too much to believe anything like that could actually work. There have to be restrictions.

Wouldn't these examples be an indication of the system's problems and not necessary the problem of freedom? The system allows these people to make their way back into society when they are obviously not fit to be among the general public. So instead of keeping them locked up they let them out and make everyone ask for permission to buy a firearm.

You said yourself that you don't care what the law is, you'll have a firearm to defend yourself. So if a fine upstanding citizen like yourself would disregard the law what do you think the thugs and crazies will do?

markand

imported post

I think the original intent of the topic was to examine pro-second amendment vs pro-choice. In other words, how could anyone be pro-second amendment, pro-self defense and NOT also be pro-choice.

Well, lets examine the premise for a moment. I'm ardently pro-gun and pro-self defense. Anybody attacks me or a family member, they are in danger of having said life immediately terminated. Not because I'm going to kill them in vengence, but because I'm committed to stop them, and stopping the bad guy may place him mortal danger for attacking me.

But, I'm also extremely pro-life. I ardently defend the the right of the innocent to continued life. That's why I believe so strongly in protecting my own innocent hide and that of any family members. The bad guy(s) noted above are NOT innocent. By THEIR choice, to attack me or a family member, they may well have forfeited their right to life.

But what about abortion and freedom of choice for the mother? What about her right to choose? Frankly, the mother made a monumental choice when she took off her panties and needs to shoulder the responsibility for that new life as soon her free and willing choice contributed to its creation. That's because I also believe personal responsibility. Choices have consequences and bring with them the requirement to act responsibly. Its NOT just the body of the mother, its ALSO the body of a growing, innocent child.

I may have a right to keep and bear arms, but I also have a duty and requirement, enforceable by law, to act responsibly in so doing.

So to answer the original question the OP was apparently posing, yes, its completely consistent morally to be pro-gun, pro-self defense AND pro-life.

buster81

imported post

markand wrote:
Frankly, the mother made a monumental choice when she took off her panties and needs to shoulder the responsibility for that new life as soon her free and willing choice contributed to its creation.
I don't disagree with you, but, what if someone else decided to remove her panties without her consent?

grumpycoconut

imported post

Citizen wrote:
grumpycoconut wrote:
Embrace one freedom and embrace them all.Anything less is hypocracy.

(Grump, I'm actuallya little sorry it was you who said this, seeing as how we don't get along. But its too good to pass up. Don't take it personally. Well, maybe just a little.)

Rule by hypocrites? Rule by someone beneath us? This is not a form of government I have heard of before.

Or, wait a minute. Maybe he is right. Any government that does not embrace all freedomsmight fit that definition, after all.

[align=left][/align]

Hypocrisy, hypocrasy what's the difference. Either I can't spell or I believe that "rulers" are inherently shits.