• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Gun-Free" Zone Open Carry

xjoffroadboy

imported post

I am a CHP holder and very interested in OC. I am unsure of how the law is written on the topic of "gun-free" zones. As a CHP holder, can one OC in places that have posted the infamous NO FIREARMS sign? Any help in the issue would be appreciated, thanks!

IxionDeece

imported post

The same basic "gun-free" zones do apply to OC as well, ie - schools, police stations, court houses, etc. But for the best details I would get ahold of the man that goes by Color of Law here on this forum. He is the guy we refer to as the walking legal dictionary.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

In reference to non-Federal property:

There are only five places where OC is statutorily prohibited:

- A Courthouse or building in which a courthouse is located.
- A jail or detention facility
- A school or a school safety zone(unless certain conditions are met)
- A place for which liquor is being dispensed under a class D license
- A State run mental facility.

CC has its own off limits places, including those above.

Most CCers will say that OC is prohibited where CC is prohibited. By the letter of the law, this is not the case.

The trouble arises because the "suggested signage" (contained in Ohio's CC law) for governmental entities disallows OC or CC, but there is no specific code that disallows OC in various places - like a college campus, or a college building.

Ohio does not regulate OC, but if the establishment asked you to leave because you were OCing and don't then you could be arrested for trespass.

Also if a business had a sign that said no guns - weapons or whatever you could be arrested for trespass, OC or CC.