• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FL CCW class?

I

inNV

imported post

I know this is technically a OC board, but since it is the only one I know of where I can find people from NV for sure..I have to ask here. Hopefully you can help.

Now that FL dropped NV because NV dropped FL, I want to get my FL CCW..has anyone used the class they took for NV to get a FL CCW? FL statutes say that "any" NRA instructor would do..now I assume that if my NV CCW instructor is certified by the NRA I can use it?

For Las Vegas people..for reference I went to Bargain Pawn..I think if I remember, his name was Glenn?..

Merlin

imported post

I can't answer your question, as I got my FL based on my NV last year, before the recent craziness. But I would think so. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to just call the FL department that handles it and ask them.

For them, non-residents permits are found-money in a tough fiscal times, so I would think they would tend to want to cooperate.

And I don't think that getting florida ever had anything to do with reciprocity, it was just a non-resident permit. The class hasn't changed, and the FL requirements haven't changed. FOr that matter, when taking the NV class, you could have filed your FL (and UT) without ever having filed your NV paperwork, and it would have still been issued. So in that perspective, nothing has really changed, right?

As much as the reciprocity losses are infuriating, simply from a regression standpoint, they didn't actually affect Nevadans that much, as we could always apply for UT and FL permits anyway, thus the reciprocity was moot. (IF you actually applied for those non-res permits)

I recently helped move a family member to FL, so I had to drive down there. It was nice to find that I was covered for CCW in every state I had to drive in. Every state line I passed through I felt like I should have an American Flag for a cape!

calmp9

imported post

inNV wrote:
I know this is technically a OC board, but since it is the only one I know of where I can find people from NV for sure..I have to ask here. Hopefully you can help.

Now that FL dropped NV because NV dropped FL, I want to get my FL CCW..has anyone used the class they took for NV to get a FL CCW? FL statutes say that "any" NRA instructor would do..now I assume that if my NV CCW instructor is certified by the NRA I can use it?

For Las Vegas people..for reference I went to Bargain Pawn..I think if I remember, his name was Glenn?..
I used my Kalifornia Hunter Safety Certificate from 1978. I could have used my Nevada CCW course certificate but I decided to try the Hunter Safety Certificate. Got the permit in 72 days.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Merlin wrote:
And I don't think that getting florida ever had anything to do with reciprocity, it was just a non-resident permit.  The class hasn't changed, and the FL requirements haven't changed.  FOr that matter, when taking the NV class, you could have filed your FL (and UT) without ever having filed your NV paperwork, and it would have still been issued.  So in that perspective, nothing has really changed, right?

As much as the reciprocity losses are infuriating, simply from a regression standpoint, they didn't actually affect Nevadans that much, as we could always apply for UT and FL permits anyway, thus the reciprocity was moot. (IF you actually applied for those non-res permits)

Florida law forbids recognizing an out of state permit if the state from which the permit comes from does not recognize the Florida permit. The Nevada resident permit previously was recognized in Florida, but is not any longer.

It did effect Nevadans in that they will now have to get another permit and pay more money and waste more time.

calmp9

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Merlin wrote:
And I don't think that getting florida ever had anything to do with reciprocity, it was just a non-resident permit. The class hasn't changed, and the FL requirements haven't changed. FOr that matter, when taking the NV class, you could have filed your FL (and UT) without ever having filed your NV paperwork, and it would have still been issued. So in that perspective, nothing has really changed, right?

Florida law forbids recognizing an out of state permit if the state from which the permit comes from does not recognize the Florida permit. The Nevada resident permit previously was recognized in Florida, but is not any longer.

It did effect Nevadans in that they will now have to get another permit and pay more money and waste more time.
Damn, you're on top of this stuff! Thanks for the information!

I didn't follow up, but what ever happened to that open carry debate you were engaged in on Nevada Shooters? You held your ground very well, by the way.

calmp9

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Thanks. The debate has become drawn out.

Here is a website that has some information on Florida CCW reciprocity which includes a list of recognized states and a notice that Nevada was removed from the list in order to be compliant with state law: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html
I can't wait for the day you get your CFP. How long do you have? My nephew is 20 and his birthday is in March. It's just killing him.

calmp9

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
I look forward to it as well! I turn 20 in late November, so I've got a while to go.
Yeah, my nephew lives in Carson. We've taken him shooting but he doesn't own any handguns. I guarantee you this, before he takes his CFP class, he is going to take a firearms/handgun safety class first. Then, he can take the CFP class. You've had way more experience than he has. I think it's the smart move.

jrwalker

imported post

calmp9 wrote:
Felid`Maximus wrote:
I look forward to it as well! I turn 20 in late November, so I've got a while to go.
Yeah, my nephew lives in Carson. We've taken him shooting but he doesn't own any handguns. I guarantee you this, before he takes his CFP class, he is going to take a firearms/handgun safety class first. Then, he can take the CFP class. You've had way more experience than he has. I think it's the smart move.
If you want a combination of CCW and firearms/handgun safety course, PM me and I'll give you the information for my Instructor. He does an amazing CCW course that he incorporates basic firearms/handgun safety into. VERY GOOD COURSE! I have been shooting for 15 years now and the course was very enjoyable even for me.