• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Effectiviness VS Political correctness

CrewDog

imported post

I do not care much for political correctness! However I would like to be as effective as possible about contacting lawmakers at the state and national levels. So a few questions come to mind.

Should I contact only my reps for my area?

Can I contact all the reps on a committee even if not my rep?

whats best e-mail, letter, phone?

Should I contact my reps on past votes I disagree with? (like ab962 recently)

I am hoping that several of you who post here on a continuous level, are also spending sometime contacting your reps. and can give some advice.

For the longest time I did not have a say here in California, as I lived here as an Oregon resident(military). But I am now a resident and want to be more vocal as to my wishes!!!

Thanks,
CrewDog

coolusername2007

imported post

CrewDog wrote:
I do not care much for political correctness! However I would like to be as effective as possible about contacting lawmakers at the state and national levels. So a few questions come to mind.

Should I contact only my reps for my area?

Can I contact all the reps on a committee even if not my rep?

whats best e-mail, letter, phone?

Should I contact my reps on past votes I disagree with? (like ab962 recently)

I am hoping that several of you who post here on a continuous level, are also spending sometime contacting your reps. and can give some advice.

For the longest time I did not have a say here in California, as I lived here as an Oregon resident(military). But I am now a resident and want to be more vocal as to my wishes!!!

Thanks,
CrewDog
Contact your local reps in the manner you prefer. Some reps state their preference on their website. Calling is great, but often you don't get to talk to the rep personally, just someone in their office. If you do call, be sure to state the specific bill number or whatever so they can correctly reference it. With regards to contacting reps outside your area, I think they all pretty much dislike it, but I say if their vote affects you then they are fair game, and state as much. Regarding past, present, or future votes, IMO its all fair game. Though I suspect past votes won't be of much interest unless its a continuing issue. You could bring up past voting records on similar future issues as a baseline for your approval or displeasure. Another point when contacting be professional and courteous, but let your rep know their voting record affects your voting record. Just my 2 cents.