• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open shooting areas near Seattle

Krinkovliu

imported post

I have been reading this forum for a long time and need an update about open shooting areas around Seattle where I can put 50 rounds through a 12 gauge shotgun to ensure that it functions reliably. It is a pistol grip only shotgun which I think would not be welcome at any established range.

There were postings in the near past about shooting area off of I-90 near Snoqualmie Pass. The feds recently closed some shootings in this vicinity so I was wondering if there are still any legal areas to shoot around that point.

I used to shoot in a clear cut area in the Sultan basin; this was located up the road a mile or so after the paved road ended. This area was closed about five years ago. I now read that there are areas in Sultan where one can shoot. I also read that it is illegal to shoot. What is the story on this?

Thanks for your help.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

The Sultan pit is still open as far as I know.

DIRECTIONS: Take Hwy 2 through Sultan. You will pass all the way through town, and you will start up a hill. At the top of the hill is a light, this is Sultan Basin Road, Take a left at this light. Drive past a few housing developments. Stay on this road until you get to 116th, which will be on your left. Take a left on 116th, go through the gate, and the gravel pit will be on the left. It's VERY easy to find, as long as you don't miss 116th! If you start getting into the 300's on street signs, you have gone too far.

sultan-directions.jpg

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Exit I-5 at exit 95, go past the Farm Boy Restaurant (Bright Red on right side), keep going west for approx 8.5 miles till you come to a stop sign (Little Rock). The road does a "S" at this point, keep going straight, keep the Chevron station on your right side as well as the bar/tavern. (these are your last chance for food & water unless you bring it). From the stop sign keep going for one mile to the T intersection (Waddell Creek Road) turn right and follow for four miles to the parking area on your right side.

You will enter the Capitol Forrest Rec area with camping and ATV parks on your left at approx the 3 mile point. There will be ATV trails along the road the closer you get to the parking area.

If you hit the stop sign (the Horse trailer parking area on the right) you are about 300 yards too far. Be prepared to carry all your gear to the shooting area, no vehicles past the gate. I suggest folding tables and chairs. Nothing is supplied out here. No porta-potties available either except in the summer at the horse trailer
parking area.

waddell-creek-pit.jpg

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

If you travel highway 410 past Enumclaw and through GreenWater you will come to Fireroad 70. Continue on FR70 for 5 miles there is a open pit on the right.

Oliferous

Lynnwood and Capitol Hill, Washington, USA
imported post

Hello alll, I too have heard about the areas around I-90 and also that some have been closed. :(

Was wondering if anyone knew of any along the I-90 areas, maybe around North Bend or anywhere close to the Lynnwood/Everett area.
Also I'll continue my search online and post any I find :dude:

Bill45

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
If you travel highway 410 past Enumclaw and through GreenWater you will come to Fireroad 70. Continue on FR70 for 5 miles there is a open pit on the right.

The last time I was up FS70 all the pits were closed. Either the entrances were dug up or on the one you mention, there are large concrete blocks put up that are labled NO SHOOTING.

But that was last year. Has it changed?

The main reason I have sold most of my long guns (especially the assault type rifles) is that you have to drive at least an hour to find asafeplace to shoot.

Also that is why I am retiring to Idaho.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Bill45 wrote:
The last time I was up FS70 all the pits were closed. Either the entrances were dug up or on the one you mention, there are large concrete blocks put up that are labled NO SHOOTING. But that was last year. Has it changed?
Its actually 8 miles up and a few of us were up there a few weeks ago shooting. No signs, no blocks, no ditches.