• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Craigslist Shopper Packing Heat

coolusername2007

imported post

OK, so here's a recent Craigslistshopping experience that happened to me a couple of days ago. My wife wasselling some stuff on Craigslist. A man was coming over to look and possibly buy. I told her I was going to open carry and she just rolls her eyes at me in disapproval. So the man shows up in the morning but I'm not ready yet, she goes out in the garageto show the goods she was selling. Because I wasn't ready yet (still getting dressed) and didn't like her meeting the guy alone I was rushing to just get out there so I didn't carry (plus in the back of my mind I knew she didn't want me to).

So I go out in the garage, and am met by a bulky physically fit guy and his wife and young son (whereas I lift a mouse all day long beating it into pointing submission). He was very courteous, as was his wife, he introduced himself, we shook hands and made eye contact. I immediately got the vibe that he knew how to present himself in such a manner as to not be considered dangerous or a threat. So we go about our business, and they choose to purchase the goods. All goes well.

Then he bends over, picks up his son (little guy) and in so doing up comes his shirt exposing his concealed,holsteredpistol. By they way, he was wearing shorts and an un-tucked "Punisher" movie t-shirt.He quickly adjusts his shirt while noticing that I saw what he was hiding.

Now, my very first thought was cool, he's CC'ing. Again,I had no reason to be alarmed and thus farour conversation and interaction with him and his family was all positive and friendly. My second thought was…great he brings a CC gun and all I've got is a cup of coffee that isn't even hot anymore. My third thought was,hey only cops can do that! Now mind you, that all but half a second has passed. And just as I'm about to ask, he just as quickly gestures and assures us not to worry he's a cop. And our conversation goes something like this (not perfect, from memory)...

Me: OK, good because only cops can conceal carry.

Him: assures us a second time he's a cop and not some crazy craigslist shopper.

Me: that's OK, I've got guns too. (partly to say no problem, and also partly to say I could be CC and he wouldn't know it either)

Him: he simultaneously gestures a thumbs up, wink, a nod and a smile.

MyWife: oh, you should ask him... (she knows I want to OC and thinks I'll get arrested and shouldn't do it)

Me: only cops can CC, for the most part. And I mention something about the fact that I've been researching open carry and our 2A rights. So I ask him Which police department do you work for?

Him: Baldwin Park

Me: I would like to know what isyour position on open carry.

Him: Do you want to know what the law says?

Me: No, I know the law, I want to know what your position is?

Him: Well, we just had some training on this recently. (which brings a smile to my face) You have to be unloaded (while reaching under his shirt, ejecting his magazine, and demonstrating the clip on the opposite side of his firearm). If I met you on the street I wouldn't be worried. I'm looking for gangbangers with gang tats on their necks and faces. If I saw you, I wouldn't be concerned (hopefully not for my numerous mouse curls).

...then comes the WOW! comment...

Him: If I ran wants and warrants and everything came back OK, I wouldn't even mind if it was like this...(gesturing with fully loaded magazine as if installed in the pistol!)

That's about all I can remember, I didn't press him on any of this partly because it wasn't the right time and I've always been one to not make people talk shop while on their day off and partly because by this time we were done with the transaction and I needed to get some work done.

I did have a serious discussion with my wife afterwards about my desires and reasonsto OC. My main argument, other than 2A rights...you just never know...who you will run into or what situation may arise. Look at this guy, sure he was friendly and all, but he LCC on my property in my garage without my knowledge, which yes, is something I'm not that happy with, not because he exercised his rights, but because I don't have the same rights (if I was in his garage), but also because I wasn't equally prepared.

Parting thoughts...this encounter left me with several key thoughts, not necessarily in any particular order.

1. I was very surprised that his un-tucked t-shirt concealed his weapon so well.It just goes to show you that when going about your business there's a lot you won't notice.

2. Never meet a craigslist shopperon my property without loaded carrying ever again. And yes, if on their property seriously consider legal UOC'ing (butdefinitely with some brochures on the subject -don't want to be the crazy craigslist shopper either)

3. He did allude to the fact he would run background and serial number checks if encountering an OC'er. Obviously this is a problem, but in all fairness he didn't outright say that,it is what I understood.

4. The Open Carry movement is forcing training in the PD's. And that is very good. While not knowing definitively, I did get the impression that he may have yet to encounter an OC'er while on the job. And perhaps he was a little unsure of what he would do exactly (just a read from his body language).

5. Regardless of what any cop says, never loaded open carry. You're gonna get arrested.

6. I suspect there are more cops out there with his attitude and perspective than those against law abiding citizens exercising their 2A rights. Just a hunch.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Verry interesting. Thanks for posting some field research.

Puts the lie to the old saw, "Never talk to a cop about carrying."

mjones

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:

You've fallen into the same trap as the sheeple...not only cops carry guns, CC or otherwise.

For the sake of your family, please make sure you follow the excellent advice on this forum with regard to making sure you have all your ducks in a row when you UOC.

Voice Recorder (2x)

Friendly Witness

Carry on....

coolusername2007

imported post

mjones wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:

You've fallen into the same trap as the sheeple...not only cops carry guns, CC or otherwise.

For the sake of your family, please make sure you follow the excellent advice on this forum with regard to making sure you have all your ducks in a row when you UOC.

Voice Recorder (2x)

Friendly Witness

Carry on....
Not quite. I realize that cops aren't the only ones carrying guns. I said that to him in the interest of brevity. And yes, I am conducting careful research, planning and preparation based on all the excellend advice poster here.