• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New info on public park carry

langzaiguy

imported post

...at least I think it's new--I hope I'm not too late to the game.

I just read an Opinion of the Attorney General on who exactly has the power to regulate firearms on the local level. Now obviously, the local government has no jurisditction to regulate open carry, and the "preemptive" statute states that only conceal carry can be regulated.

OAG 96-039 states that ONLY the county fiscal court can regulate CONCEAL carry. Not a parks director, not even a judge can regulate CC. This legal battle has already been fought in Daviess County.

http://ag.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/8CE57211-6BBB-4613-8526-9F060A780D6E/0/OAG9639.htm

8th ID

imported post

The last I heard on here was that there were still at least one sign that had the "no firearms" rule on it...

Liberty4Ever

imported post

When I called Norm Davis from Kentuckians for the Right To Bear Arms (http://www.krba.org) to make sure my understanding of the law was correct prior to contacting the Lexington Fayette Urban County Government director of the Division of Parks & Recreation, Norm emailed me the Attorney General's written opinion on the Davies County firearms in the park debacle, along with his comments in red interspersed throughout. I'm going to ask Norm if it's OK to circulate the version with his comments, I've just been too busy to get back to him in the past week.

Apparently, Norm had a lot to do with championing gun rights in that particular battle that resulted in a very useful AG's opinion that has been instrumental in keeping other local governments from infringing upon our rights. I think the Davies County Judge Executive made a big political deal about this before making sure the law supported his position, so he essentially painted himself into a political corner and it cost him his job. If he's an anti-gunner in Western Kentucky, that was inevitable, and good riddance to him.