• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eau Claire / Chippewa and Surrounding Areas

kevlub

imported post

Greetings to other WI board members. I recently stumbled accross this site andmustsay it really gets me thinking...

My question is this. I would like toread other peoples experiences of open carry in the Chippewa Valley. Although I am 40 minutes away,we go there about twice a month for shopping etc. Specificaly stores that have given you a hard time and stores that have not. I have read Cabelas is OC friendly, how about Scheels, Best Buy, Fleet Farm, Wal Mart? I have read some other posts on the corpoarte responses, but I am looking for Chippewa Valley specific encounters if you have any to share.

Thanks

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kevlub wrote:
Greetings to other WI board members. I recently stumbled accross this site andmustsay it really gets me thinking...

My question is this. I would like toread other peoples experiences of open carry in the Chippewa Valley. Although I am 40 minutes away,we go there about twice a month for shopping etc. Specificaly stores that have given you a hard time and stores that have not. I have read Cabelas is OC friendly, how about Scheels, Best Buy, Fleet Farm, Wal Mart? I have read some other posts on the corpoarte responses, but I am looking for Chippewa Valley specific encounters if you have any to share.

Thanks
Welcome to OCDO! I don't live in your area so I can only give you my experiances at the places I've visited and some stories from other members.

Cabela's-likely to be friendly to OC
Scheels-no clue
Best Buy-No issues myself but have heard that other members have had issues.
Fleet Farm-I was in one for about 10 mins once and no issues
Wal-mart-same as Best Buy.

Honestly you can visit a store once or several times before having an issue. Or you may never have one. It's a crapshoot. Most people never notice, others don't care. But you may run into someone who will freak and complain. I've been kicked out of 2 places, neither due to complaints from customer, just over active rent-a-cops. But on the other side of the coin I've had 4 people come up to thank me and shake my hand.

Open Carry, and more importantly, the 2nd amendment is not that much different from any other "controversial" topic or act. Except that it is fundamental to our country, our rights as a people, and if it is not fought for it will be taken from us.

Rant over, carry on!

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kevlub wrote:

Thanks

Also, spend some time reading the thread below. Carry where ever you please. Don't ask permission. If asked to leave, leave. If asked to leave your weapon in your vehicle, tell them that you cannot spend your hard earned money at a place that does not recognize your constitutional rights and that you'll be taking your money somewhere else (money talks, especially during a recession). If a LEO comes up to you to ask you to leave, follow him out but do not give him your name, ID, address, etc. POLITELY refuse. You have done nothing illegal until you refuse to leave, then you are trespassing. Or you can take one of the more tactical approaches described in the thread below. A digital voice recorder in a nice defense tool if you have any troubles with overly zeolous LEOs.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/29046-2.html

metalman383

imported post

I carry quite often in EC and Chippewa. I have had no negative responses at all. I have yet to see anybody else oc'ing. If your comming to town shopping, and you want some company, get a hold of me. The family and I, would be happy to strap up, and joinlike-minded people, on a tour of some stores. Welcome to the site!

kevlub

imported post

Actually, I just got home from town. Here is what happened (I did NOT carry). Stopped at Gander Mt. to pick up a couple odds and ends. I askedtwo store employees about their policy and my desire to return OCing my next visit. They stated the have absolutley no problems with it and the one guy stated if he sees me carrying all he will do is ask me how I like the gun I'm carrying. They have not seen anyone actually do it yet, saw one empty holster, and have been asked as I did.

Next, off to Walmart in Chippewa. Spoke with a manager. I stated that I am aware of Walmarts corporate policy stating they will follow state/federal laws and furthurmore did not see any signs posted at the door and I plan to open carry on my next visit. She stated to me that first of all Walmart does not sell weapons. Secondly Walmart is against weapons and tobacco (this was funny as we were standing not more that 10 feet from the cigarette display during the discussion, which she looked at as soon as she finished her sentance). She went on to inform me I would be removed from the store if I enter OCing....

Why ask first and not actually do it you may be wondering? One, I don't want all of the hassle with only myself and my young child present. Ifthe wifeis with, that will be different. Second, my job is fairly sensitive to police contact and at this point I do not feel comfortable. A week from now and a few more hours research on the subject (what to say / not say etc) and I feel I will be ready to give it a go.

Anyway, that is what I learned today....

metalman383

imported post

I have carried in the Wal-mart in chippewa, at least ten times. Once as the wife and I were checking out, I saw two manager people talking, and one glanced at me a couple of times. Nothing was said, and we continued on with our day. I will admit, my heart did pump a little bit faster though!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here is an EMail I received from the Eau Claire city attourney:
Dear <bnhcomputing>,

Thank you for your well considered e-mail. I was asked to provide a brief response.

The City of Eau Claire is aware of s. 66.0409, Stats. The law allows local regulation of firearms to the extent such local regulation "is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute."

As I'm sure you know, state law does include numerous restrictions on the use, possession, transport, etc of firearms. I will not try to list them here, but just note that local regulations with state corollaries are permitted. Eau Claire Code s. 9.32.040 is partially supported by similar statutory restrictions.

However, I acknowledge that the restriction contained in Eau Claire Code s. 9.32.040 F. is not supported by any similar state statute and therefore unenforceable. I do not wade into the deeper issue of whether such a restriction is possible under the Wisconsin or United States Constitutions as it presently is unnecessary absent statutory authorization. Section 66.0409 (4) (b) directs that such provisions of local code may not be enforced, and to the best of my knowledge this section of city code has not been enforced since November 18, 1995.

I again thank you for your interest in this important matter.

Stephen C. Nick
City Attorney, City of Eau Claire
203 S. Farwell Street, P.O. Box 5148
P: (715) 839-6006 F: (715) 839-6177
IMLA Local Government Fellow

>>> "bnhcomputing@yahoo.com" <bnhcomputing@yahoo.com> 6/9/2008 2:41 PM >>>

Dear Chief Matysik:

It recently came to my attention that the City of Eau Claire has an ordinance forbidding the possession/carrying of a firearm in public 9.32.040 Possession of firearms--Public buildings, business establishments and public areas.

State Statute 66.0409(2) States:

(2) Except as provided in subs. (3) and (4), no political subdivision may enact an ordinance or adopt a resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, unless the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.

State Statute 66.0409(4)(b) States:

(b) If a political subdivision has in effect on November 17, 1995, an ordinance or resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, and the ordinance or resolution is not the same as or similar to a state statute, the ordinance or resolution shall have no legal effect and the political subdivision may not enforce the ordinance or resolution on or after November 18, 1995.

Upon review of the Wisconsin Supreme Court case State vs. Hamdan (2003) (especially noted in paragraphs 41, 42, and 71) in order for the state to remain in compliance with Article I, Section 25 of the Wisconsin State Constitution, the state must allow the individual a way to reasonably keep/possess and bear/carry arms for lawful purposes. Since concealed carry of a firearm is prohibited, openly carrying of a firearm (holstered, visible, and in a non-threatening and peaceful manner) is the only way for an individual to exercise this right.

Consequently, this means that city ordinance 9.32.040(F) cannot be enforced and further it would be a violation of a citizens constitutional rights should he/she be charged with disturbing the peace or disorderly conduct for lawfully bearing arms, even if it may unintentionally create public discomfort.

I right this strictly as an informative letter, should the department receive a report from a concerned citizen regarding a “man with a gun” when it may simply be a law abiding citizen lawfully exercising their constitutional right.

A reply would be greatly appreciated, and I would like to thank you for your time and service.

Sincerely,

<bnhcomputing>
hasEML = false;

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

kevlub wrote:
She stated to me that first of all Walmart does not sell weapons. Secondly Walmart is against weapons and tobacco
Really, I bought 2 different Mossberg 500's at our Minocqua wal-mart in a few years time , Along witha.22 Semi-auto rifle. and just today Ilooked at a fewrifle accessoriesintheir Rhinelander store.

What Wal-mart is this woman referring to?

Mr. Smith

Campaign Veteran
imported post

:)hello, nice to see there r some folks on here from the area. don't get to E C much, but I've oc'd in rice lake,no problems,wallmart here sells rifles & shotguns.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
kevlub wrote:
She stated to me that first of all Walmart does not sell weapons. Secondly Walmart is against weapons and tobacco
Really, I bought 2 different Mossberg 500's at our Minocqua wal-mart in a few years time , Along witha.22 Semi-auto rifle. and just today Ilooked at a fewrifle accessoriesintheir Rhinelander store.

What Wal-mart is this woman referring to?
Alright guys, the search is on! First one to find a Wal-Mart that does not sell weapons wins a prize from me! :celebrate

(not really)

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Greenfield, WI :banghead:

Milwaukee, WI :banghead:

New Berlin, WI :banghead:

Portage, WI (except muzzle loaders) :cuss::banghead:

Need I continue? :lol: