• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Monthly UOC Meetup in SoCal

SmokeaCigShootaSig

imported post

good point, but I wouldnt chance it. LE would take the view of paper and ink, least that is what myfamily said.

From our convo' I was told it doesnt matter that school is in session or not, a "zone" is just that a clearly marked boundary. I asked why we can abide the regular posted speed in a school zone when kids arent present, andthe reply? "because it is posted and states you can. "

iRIGHTi

imported post

quote from cooluser: "On the otherhand, a large 50+ or 100+ active, organized, monthly group will have better odds at recognition, credibility, and success."

this is what i'm hoping for in my gauging interest in a meet in Long Beach thread. up to 14 attending in only 3 days. i'd like to get 50+. looking like early Sept., and i have a pro 2nd amendment friend who owns a restaurantwilling tobe our HQ. looks like we can get positive coverage in theLB Press Telegram as well. doing a gps of the only 2 schools in the area. did the google earth measurements and it's over 1000 feet, but want to be absolutely sure and have the measurement docs on hand alongwith the UOC brochure and flyersshould any LEO encounters occur.

that being said, and not to hijack this thread, i would be down for any other UOC meet in the mean time as long as it is 110% in a legal area, with a25+ group. :cool:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

iRIGHTi wrote:
did the google earth measurements and it's over 1000 feet, but want to be absolutely sure and have the measurement docs on hand alongwith the UOC brochure and flyersshould any LEO encounters occur.
You really don't want to carry a map on you with the schools listed out and the distances on them. If you somehow end up in one of the zones, and you were to be stopped by the cops, you immediately lose your ability to say you weren't aware that the school existed. You are essentially supplying evidence which can only be used against you in court. I'm sure you can imagine the prosecutor getting all dramatic and saying that you "were planning on going on a school shooting rampage, I mean, look, he had a map of the two nearest schools! What else would he need that map for?"

If you get arrested for a 626.9 violation, let the cops do their worst if you know you were outside the school zone. It's on them to prove you're guilty.

coolusername2007

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
I contacted the BPS in Rancho Cucamonga by phone and spoke with one of their managers. We had a very cordial discussion at length regarding open carry in their store. This is a synopsis of our conversation. He indicated to me that their store policy is to have every firearm that enters the store to be secured by their greeter with one of their own locking devices. He said there is a sign to that effect posted at the entrance of their store. Further, they would not allow individuals open carrying firearms on their hips in their store due to the fact that they have unsecured ammunition on the store shelves. I went on to ask about all BPS stores across the country and whether or not they all had unsecured ammunition in the stores. He said yes, they all have unsecured ammunition.

I discussed with him the open carry movement, as he was unfamiliar with it, and also mentioned the opencarry.org website and was sure to tell him this was posted on the home page of the site. I told him about Mr. Larry L. Whiteley’s, Bass Pro’s Communication Manager, comments to opencarry.org regarding their policy to respect lawful customer gun carry in their stores across the US. He indicated to me he was taking notes and would discuss this with the store’s general manager and they would get back to me. He is unaware of who Larry Whiteley is as he didn't really know anyone from corporate.

So for now, they will not allow open carry in their store. I will continue to have this conversation with them and see if they are open to change and/or have some level of internal discussion on a corporate level regarding policy.

Just had a very cordial and respectful phone conversation with the Rancho Cucamonga BPS store manager, Bob. He has confirmed that legal unloaded open carry is now allowed in their store!!!

:celebrate

They are beginning the training process of their many employees and hope to have communicated the new policy to everyone within 10 days. They will begin by training the front line store greeters which means all should go well upon entering the store. Please be respectful and courteous to any and all employees who may question your sidearm during their training process. Understand they have hundreds of employees at this location so training will be an ongoing process.

As far as I am concerned this location is a go for our first monthly UOC meetup. If you are interested in attending please either post here or PM me. I will confirm the school boundaries in the near future. If you live close this store please do the same. More on dates and times soon, if you have a preference feel free to chime in.

Carry On at Bass Pro Shops Rancho Cucamonga!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
iRIGHTi wrote:
did the google earth measurements and it's over 1000 feet, but want to be absolutely sure and have the measurement docs on hand alongwith the UOC brochure and flyersshould any LEO encounters occur.
You really don't want to carry a map on you with the schools listed out and the distances on them. If you somehow end up in one of the zones, and you were to be stopped by the cops, you immediately lose your ability to say you weren't aware that the school existed.
+1

I don't trust anybody, and a decent number among our LEOs have a vendetta against us. Among that group, a good number are dishonest.

You may find the arrest report 'fudged' to show you were arrested 200' up the street, where you would happen to be in a school zone. You may find that it's your word against five officers. You may find yourself in jail, and all because you helped them realize how close that school zone is.

Also, we're all human, and it's possible that despite all our efforts, we could accidently end up in a school zone. If that ever happens, you would be providing the arresting officer and the DA with solid proof of your 'reasonable knowledge' of the school zone.

In sum, no good can come of you holding a map. IMO, don't do it... ever!

prplqun

imported post

I would say we need to pick a location were we can OCing into the place. I would also say that we might want to pick a more family place. Only ideas. I know that Carrow's also support OCing, we can check out and see which one has room for a large group.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I would say have at least one meetup at the BPS. Like I said, the choir needs their preachin' too.

Besides, I believe in positive reinforcement. We should reward businesses that choose value and respect our rights.

stuckinchico

imported post

Yup no map good. Ive come to find no matter how good of planning one keeps pooping up so yeah walk like you belong there by the time officers get there( assumin they were dispatched you should be out of there soon enough. lol 2 days ago I ran into a school zone that wasnt to be found anywhere by research. umm some one called 5 0 There was an empty field that was full of star thesle The officers refused to go through it of course by the time they got there and where driving around trying to find me i was in the middle of a 23 acre lot watching them with a spotting scope. I watched them even contact the RP (reporting party) by then I was at least 3/4 of a mile from the school

That school zone just jumped up I turned a corner and bam there was the playground. I went home and couldnt find it on the maps anywhere

coolusername2007

imported post

prplqun wrote:
I would say we need to pick a location were we can OCing into the place. I would also say that we might want to pick a more family place. Only ideas. I know that Carrow's also support OCing, we can check out and see which one has room for a large group.
It appears from the satellite images that we will be in the clear to open carry into the store. However, you will need to park in the east or northeast parking lot. The south-southwest parking lot is not in the clear.I will verify all of this in person soon. It would be a good idea if someone else did an independent survey also. Any volunteers?

coolusername2007

imported post

wewd wrote:
I would definitely be up for a meet at either Bass Pro or Victoria Gardens.

If Google Earth's ruler is accurate, and measuring from the nearest portion of fencing on the school properties, the Bass Pro building itself and the eastern 2/3 of the parking lot are outside of the 1000' zones from the two schools. Victoria Gardens itself is mostly outside of the zone as well, as long as one were to stay in the main block bordered by N and S Main Streets. I think Victoria Gardens proper would be a better place to OC, and looking at the Rancho Cucamonga muni code there is no prohibition against carrying for adults. VG has public streets and sidewalks so I don't see how you could get trespassed from the property.
wewd, sent you a pm.

coolusername2007

imported post

iRIGHTi wrote:
quote from cooluser: "On the otherhand, a large 50+ or 100+ active, organized, monthly group will have better odds at recognition, credibility, and success."

this is what i'm hoping for in my gauging interest in a meet in Long Beach thread. up to 14 attending in only 3 days. i'd like to get 50+. looking like early Sept., and i have a pro 2nd amendment friend who owns a restaurantwilling tobe our HQ. looks like we can get positive coverage in theLB Press Telegram as well. doing a gps of the only 2 schools in the area. did the google earth measurements and it's over 1000 feet, but want to be absolutely sure and have the measurement docs on hand alongwith the UOC brochure and flyersshould any LEO encounters occur.

that being said, and not to hijack this thread, i would be down for any other UOC meet in the mean time as long as it is 110% in a legal area, with a25+ group. :cool:
iRIGHTi, sent you a pm.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Just had a very cordial and respectful phone conversation with the Rancho Cucamonga BPS store manager, Bob. He has confirmed that legal unloaded open carry is now allowed in their store!!!

...As far as I am concerned this location is a go for our first monthly UOC meetup. If you are interested in attending please either post here or PM me. I will confirm the school boundaries in the near future. If you live close this store please do the same. More on dates and times soon, if you have a preference feel free to chime in.

That's good news that BPS in RC is changing their policy!

However, that school property due east across I-15 is a concern to me. Who owns the lot between the school and the 15 on the east side of the 15? If it's the school district, then it looks like the front entrance and most of the parking lot at the front entrance could be within the 1000' school zone. :(

Also, the Catholic school just south on the east side of I-15 also extends quite a ways into the south parking lot. :(

Parking is difficult already on the weekends. Might not be a good place to meet.

coolusername2007

imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:

...As far as I am concerned this location is a go for our first monthly UOC meetup. If you are interested in attending please either post here or PM me. I will confirm the school boundaries in the near future. If you live close this store please do the same. More on dates and times soon, if you have a preference feel free to chime in.

That's good news that BPS in RC is changing their policy!

However, that school property due east across I-15 is a concern to me. Who owns the lot between the school and the 15 on the east side of the 15? If it's the school district, then it looks like the front entrance and most of the parking lot at the front entrance could be within the 1000' school zone. :(

Also, the Catholic school just south on the east side of I-15 also extends quite a ways into the south parking lot. :(

Parking is difficult already on the weekends. Might not be a good place to meet.

Your concerns are my concerns. I am mapping it out as I write this. Preliminary surveys show the entire building is safely outside of gun-free school zones. I am going to survey the site one day this week. I am alsowondering about the lot to the east and will know for sure when I see it in person. If its just a lot then its not aproblem.

Once the data is in, if people are still too nervous then we'll find an alternate site. I just thought it would be a great venue. Plus the fact that they are accommodating us...to me that means a lot. Based onmy conversations with their management, I have a whole new levelof respect for them.

On the other hand, I'd hate to be the poor sap who someday buys new hardware, walks outside the store to the southern parking lot and gets collared! That would suck! Local PD obviously isn't enforcing this.

coolusername2007

imported post

Theseus wrote:
And that BPS is right across the street from a fair sized mall. . . and an acceptable BBQ joint Lucile's.

It isn't spectacular food, but might be a good place to catch a meal.

Theseus, plugged your message here, this is the better thread for this conversation.

The school to the south actually presents more of a problem for the Victoria Gardens mall than it does for the BPS. The school to the south actually encompasses almost the entire southeast quadrant of the VG mall. Where as the BPS bldg is clear of that school as long as you stay out of the southwest parking lot.

wewd

imported post

I'm going to head by the property after work today and see for sure where the boundary ends for the school to the east. If you look on Google Maps street view (swing the camera around to the south) you can see the school's fence runs all the way down the middle of the field, so I'm 99.999% sure the rest of the field is simply dirt and not part of the school.

I made a pic with the radius of the school zone (from the Catholic school to the southwest) for the Bass Pro parking lot & Victoria Gardens to show where the zone overlaps those areas. Don't park in that section of the Bass Pro parking lot. I wonder how many people buy guns from the store and walk to their car in that section and realize they could be charged with a felony?

Decoligny

imported post

wewd wrote:
I'm going to head by the property after work today and see for sure where the boundary ends for the school to the east. If you look on Google Maps street view (swing the camera around to the south) you can see the school's fence runs all the way down the middle of the field, so I'm 99.999% sure the rest of the field is simply dirt and not part of the school.

I made a pic with the radius of the school zone (from the Catholic school to the southwest) for the Bass Pro parking lot & Victoria Gardens to show where the zone overlaps those areas. Don't park in that section of the Bass Pro parking lot. I wonder how many people buy guns from the store and walk to their car in that section and realize they could be charged with a felony?

Is your radius from the closest point on school property, or is it from the center of the school location itself?

The Gun Free School Zone is 1,000 feet from school property.