• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Caught With A Murder Weapon?

PYRO PSR

imported post

I have a question that i just thought about while layin here. I know that in Arizona, you dont have to have a gun registered to your name. So my question is, if you buy a gun off the streets from someone and they say its clean and one day get stopped by a leo and somehow they find out that the gun was involved in a murder, then does the charges get put onto you for having possesion of it? Ive always wondered that.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

You will have some 'splainin' to do!

When buying a gun in a F2F always try to get the seller's identification and file it. Heck, even when you buy one from an FFL, keep the receipt stored away real good.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Time to dig out you audio recordings from the time of the murder so they
can hear that at the time the local JBT had his boot on your neck on the
other side of town.:shock:
Also pray you aren't a Duke student or proof won't be good enough.

Now getting your gun back might be a little bit more work.

But if you check with the person who has Jesse Jame's gun that was used
to kill people, and hasn't been charged with the murders.

Of course us more seedy individuals have a whole lot more trouble.
Best I have is one involved in theft, robberies, and hold-ups, my sentimental
toe to the underworld. But much to small for a defensive piece for me.
Besides the bad guys have it's ballistics. A nice quite varmit plinker though.

Dahwg

imported post

As you have already noted, there are no gun registrations in AZ, therefore running the serial number will only tell the cops if it was reported stolen. There's no way to tell if it has been implicated in any other crimes.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I just sold a Kraut P-38 that might'a been used in War Crimes. For all I know,Himmler himself might'a pulled it a few.

me812

imported post

To my knowledge, it is not illegal to possess a gun used in a murder as long as one does so in good faith. And anyway, the only way they'll ever know it was used in a given murder is to run ballistics tests, which will only be run if they have some reason to believe that you or the gun had something to do with the murder.