• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

thank you to everyone

AaronS

imported post

I don't think things like that will ever get put behind you. Lessons learned like that never are.

You did the right thing.

But, you need more rounds. If you ever did find your self in the position of needing your gun, you will only be thinking of the small number of rounds you have. I would not carry any less then 7. One more then a .38 (I am old school).
What sucks is that you have to worry about things like the 1,000 foot School zones. From the way you post, it sounds like I would trust you IN a school (so the zone is a real joke)...

Well again Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the great posts.

Carry On!

Woodchuck

imported post

McX wrote:
I carry 4 shots ONLY, as I do NOT intend to enter into a gun battle, only to defend or retreat.

FILL THE MAG

You may not "Intend" to have to defend yourself either so why even have the gun at all. I understand not having 1 in the pipe but to own a full size auto and carry less rounds than a snub hammerless wheelgun just doesn't make any sense to me.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I think you did the right thing, and I'm not sure why you're doubting your actions. As I stated in response to your original post, it's the job of the police to chase criminals, not ours. I question the owner's wisdom of pursuing them. I understand why he would want to give chase, but it is inadvisable. You didn't say if the owner was armed, I assume he was not, which makes it even more foolhardy.

I concur with the others that limiting one's self to just four rounds is ill-advised. Your intentions are fine, but your intentions will not determine the circumstances that you could find yourself in. I would advise people to have a fully loaded firearm and a minimum of one complete reload-- not because you're likely to get into a firefight (you're not) but because magazines are the component of a firearm most prone to crap out on you when you least expect it and least need it. Secondly, criminals, being the cowards they are, frequently prowl in pairs or groups. Four rounds may not be enough to allow you to safely disengage from the threat on your own terms.

Retreating is fine, but it is better, tactically speaking, to do so because you can, not because you're forced to do so by an empty gun. As the old adage says, "better to have it and not need it..."

Yooper

imported post

Also consider, what if someone were intending to rob you and / or do you harm, and you end up being shot in one hand / arm. Try to load a round with one hand, not to easy in a "Oh s**t" situation.

Could you load a round if you are fighting off someone with a knife? They may or may not have cut you, but our instinct is to at least get a grip on the attackers wrist area to prevent us from being injured by a knife. I don't know if anyone on here has, but I practice drawing my gun from my strong side holster with my weak hand.

Only carrying 4 rounds is insane. 3 guys enter your store and start shooting. Are you going to tell me that you'll make a hit with 75% of you available shots while being shot at, or at least shooting from a less than desireable position? That is after you retreat to load your gun.

Failure to Feed and Failure to Fire problems most times require the magazine to be pulled from the gun. Again, while fighting for your life, with your fine motor skills gone out the window, do you think you can maintain control of your 1 magazine while you try to clear your gun? Or would it make more sense to carry extra magazines on a belt holster so in the event you drop a magazine, that you know where an extra one is?

As one of my previous supervisors (L.E.) would say "One is none"

I do want to commend you for your actions however. I think you acted perfectly.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

McX wrote:
I found out more information about the incident the other day; it wasn't a merchant that was robbed at gun point, it was a harmless, diabled woman, and her companion. They beat the hell out of a "retarded" woman because they heard she MAY have won a few bucks on a lottery scratch ticket! This to me is even worse than robbing a merchant!
Pretty darn low.