• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do gun ban signs carry legal weight?

8th ID

imported post

Let's say there is a Private business that has a Concealed Weapons Pohibited sign in the window. Then I go in anyway, possibly not seeing the sign OR switching my carry to OC. And let's say that while in the business I have an encounter whereI have to use my weapon OR a manager sees my weapon.

My question is: How much legal weight does this sign carry in a private business? If anyone has any KRS on this please post.

Thanks to all:)

hotrod

imported post

8th ID wrote:
Let's say there is a Private business that has a Concealed Weapons Pohibited sign in the window. Then I go in anyway, possibly not seeing the sign OR switching my carry to OC. And let's say that while in the business I have an encounter whereI have to use my weapon OR a manager sees my weapon.

My question is: How much legal weight does this sign carry in a private business? If anyone has any KRS on this please post.

Thanks to all:)
None. There is no criminality attached to being in a posted place. The only thing associated is criminal trespass and it has to take place in front of the police or the owner must file the charge of criminal trespass himself. So, if you are asked to leave and refuse, while the police observe, you can be arrested for criminal trespass. If asked to leave and refuse without police observation, the owner/manager can file a complaint on there ownbehalf.

8th ID

imported post

SO...if asked to leave a posted place, and I leave, then no charges can be filed?

If this is correct, what purpose and/or good does it do for the private business owner to post?

hotrod

imported post

8th ID wrote:
SO...if asked to leave a posted place, and I leave, then no charges can be filed?

If this is correct, what purpose and/or good does it do for the private business owner to post?
Exactly

8th ID

imported post

hotrod wrote:
8th ID wrote:

Exactly

Now,I FINALLY understand the purpose of these signs:

1. It gives the illusion to the masses that no one in this business has a gun, come on in, it's 'safe'...:D

2. It tells the criminal that no one in this business has a gun, come on in, FREE MONEY...

mellio

imported post

I would be willing to bet that most business owners don't even know the laws that apply to the signs they post. Some probablyactually think that it stops people from entering with guns.;)

8th ID

imported post

mellio wrote:
I would be willing to bet that most business owners don't even know the laws that apply to the signs they post. Some probablyactually think that it stops people from entering with guns.;)
I agree. I think the business owner has no clue. They just see this sign and believe it's backed up with some law. Like the sign is some kind of force field that repels guns, and all those CRAZY people with guns...:what:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

The signs are posted for CC.....

All entry doors clearly marked with the following, "THE POSSESSION OF CONCEALED WEAPONS, EVEN WITH PROPER PERMIT, IS HEREBY PROHIBITED IN THIS AREA".

You will notice that the posting above mentions only "CONCEALED WEAPONS". A
handgun worn on the outside of your clothing would not be in violation
of this.

However you certainly realize that the spirit of the law in this case would be violated
This act may cause "public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm" however which would fall under Disorderly Conduct KRS525.060.

Fred

imported post

Started a similar thread early this month. Check it out " Open Carry where Concealed Carry Prohibited" on page 2

8th ID

imported post

To Gutshot: True, a business owner can't search you. But I wonder about a couple scenarios: 1.) If I were to be CC'ing in a posted business and I had to use my weapon. 2.) If I were CC'ing in a posted business and a customer called in man with a gun.

Brian D.

imported post

Some businesses (that are based in Ohio) with northern Kentucky locations, sport 'No Guns' sign that say things like "Pursuant to Ohio Revised Code..."

Makes me laugh out loud, quoting the ORC in the wrong STATE! :D

Statesman

imported post

hotrod wrote:
8th ID wrote:

Exactly
The inadvertent purpose is to tell criminals that noone inside is armed, and that it is OK to come in and hold up the place without much resistance.

The sign might as well say "Attention criminals: Noone inside this building is armed for defensive purposes."

8th ID

imported post

8th ID wrote:
hotrod wrote:
8th ID wrote:

Exactly

Now,I FINALLY understand the purpose of these signs:

1. It gives the illusion to the masses that no one in this business has a gun, come on in, it's 'safe'...:D

2. It tells the criminal that no one in this business has a gun, come on in, FREE MONEY...
Statesman-EXACTLY!

8th ID

imported post

chris in va wrote:
This one definitely carries weight. If you see it, do NOT carry in there, even if it's just an adult education building.

+1000 CHRIS. In the OP I was just questioning private businesses.

KBCraig

imported post

Brian D. wrote:
Some businesses (that are based in Ohio) with northern Kentucky locations, sport 'No Guns' sign that say things like "Pursuant to Ohio Revised Code..."

Makes me laugh out loud, quoting the ORC in the wrong STATE! :D
LOL, the first time I saw a valid Texas 30.06 notice, was on the Arkansas side of State Line Avenue in Texarkana.

It was valid, because Arkansas (at that time) didn't require specific signage, but it was funny because it quoted Texas law.

FYI, it was at the offices of ARKLA, the natural gas company.

chris in va

imported post

I saw another interesting one today. The usual Beretta with line through it, "No firearms allowed per city ordinance". Looked like something they ordered off the internet.

8th ID

imported post

chris in va wrote:
I saw another interesting one today. The usual Beretta with line through it, "No firearms allowed per city ordinance". Looked like something they ordered off the internet.
Where was it posted?

Brian D.

imported post

chris in va wrote:
It was at a lawyers office downtown Louisville. The sign was on the door leading into the complex.

So, in short, that law office wasdealing with passerby usinga disingenuous (to be kind)sign, since statewide preemption of local gun laws is a fact of life in Kentucky...

Makes you wonder how that legal firm treats clients, doesn't it?