Thread: i think this is crap but lets hear what you guys think.

Post imported post

i was out ocing the other day and was stopped by a dnr officer and was told i had to tuck my shirt in because the way i presented my self with an un tucked shirt didnt give off the feeling that i was ocing. i had my shirt tucked up around my owb holster, which was on my 5:00 hip, and when asked if i had a firearm i had to lift my arm and turn toward the officer.
    do i really have to tuck when i carry?

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

joe_robi wrote:
    i was out ocing the other day and was stopped by a dnr officer and was told i had to tuck my shirt in because the way i presented my self with an un tucked shirt didnt give off the feeling that i was ocing. i had my shirt tucked up around my owb holster, which was on my 5:00 hip, and when asked if i had a firearm i had to lift my arm and turn toward the officer.
    do i really have to tuck when i carry?
    There is no lawful requirement to tuck. I don't tuck when I OC, but I have a CPL so I'm okayif the shirt should cover my gununbeknownst to me.

Is it good advice to tuck probably, but not required.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

thanks venator i was hoping you would be the one to chime in!

i think i will continue to carry in my casual way, unless i oc in a populated area.

Post imported post

Do you have a CPL?

Post imported post

If you don't have a CPL, I highly suggest you tuck your shirt around the handgun. In my opinion, this would kind of fall under the IWB holster category when you have an unbuttoned shirt and the firearm is not "fully visible" at all times.Just my opinion. I wouldn't risk getting charged with a CCW (Carrying a Concealed Weapon) for something that petty.

Post imported post

no i do not have a cpl(cant wait til i get one though).

i always keep my shirt tucked around my holster but not tucked all the way around in my pants.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

joe_robi wrote:

i always keep my shirt tucked around my holster but not tucked all the way around in my pants.
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/28789.html

You should try and sign up for this one.

Post imported post

Hale is a bit of a drive to Pinckney! About 4 hours.

Post imported post

joe_robi wrote:

You don't have to tuck in your entire shirt, but you should keep your shirt tucked around your gun at least.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

T Vance wrote:
    Hale is a bit of a drive to Pinckney! About 4 hours.
    lol oops good call

Post imported post

yeah hale is quite a bit of a drive from pickney,
    but more so i don't have the cash to take the coarse or get the license.
    i will continue to oc until i get my license i just wont go were i cant go, i live in a very low crime part of mich so i dont worry about carrying most of the time.

Post imported post

Yeah, Hale is pretty slow!

Post imported post

There is an attorney general opinion which was written a long time ago; I checked with 2 attorneys a few years ago and they said that it was still valid as "there is no specific time at which an opinion becomes inoperative, it becomes inoperative through either a new AG opinion, judicial opinion, or legislative processes" and "the opinion referenced a MI Supreme Court Decision, which means it is very strong". I can't find the original decision on line, but here is the original opinion.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wba...ns/MI_3158.txt

Additionally, the state police Criminal Justice Information Center and the DNR still reference this opinion when referring to "open carry", as do many other police department websites. One example:

see: http://www.state.mi.us/MSP/CJIC/FireFAQ.htm
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

DrTodd wrote:
    There is an attorney general opinion which was written a long time ago; I checked with 2 attorneys a few years ago and they said that it was still valid as "there is no specific time at which an opinion becomes inoperative, it becomes inoperative through either a new AG opinion, judicial opinion, or legislative processes" and "the opinion referenced a MI Supreme Court Decision, which means it is very strong". I can't find the original decision on line, but here is the original opinion.

Additionally, the state police Criminal Justice Information Center and the DNR still reference this opinion when referring to "open carry", as do many other police department websites. One example:

Very Interesting...

I have an old Marksman 1010 Air Pistol that I got when I was 10 that fires more than just BB's (pellets/darts). It would appear that I have to get it registered based upon MI Laws (second link).

Now, how the hell do I approach the situation? I feel like the Police will laugh me out of the office!
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
    DrTodd wrote:

Very Interesting...

I have an old Marksman 1010 Air Pistol that I got when I was 10 that fires more than just BB's (pellets/darts). It would appear that I have to get it registered based upon MI Laws (second link).

Now, how the hell do I approach the situation? I feel like the Police will laugh me out of the office!
    It's probably not all that uncommon since one cannot buy one from the store without a PPP, or CPL. That they need to be registered/safety checked is noting new.