• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i think this is crap but lets hear what you guys think.

joe_robi

imported post

i was out ocing the other day and was stopped by a dnr officer and was told i had to tuck my shirt in because the way i presented my self with an un tucked shirt didnt give off the feeling that i was ocing. i had my shirt tucked up around my owb holster, which was on my 5:00 hip, and when asked if i had a firearm i had to lift my arm and turn toward the officer.
do i really have to tuck when i carry?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

joe_robi wrote:
i was out ocing the other day and was stopped by a dnr officer and was told i had to tuck my shirt in because the way i presented my self with an un tucked shirt didnt give off the feeling that i was ocing. i had my shirt tucked up around my owb holster, which was on my 5:00 hip, and when asked if i had a firearm i had to lift my arm and turn toward the officer.
do i really have to tuck when i carry?
There is no lawful requirement to tuck. I don't tuck when I OC, but I have a CPL so I'm okayif the shirt should cover my gununbeknownst to me.

Is it good advice to tuck probably, but not required.

joe_robi

imported post

thanks venator i was hoping you would be the one to chime in!

i think i will continue to carry in my casual way, unless i oc in a populated area.

T Vance

imported post

If you don't have a CPL, I highly suggest you tuck your shirt around the handgun. In my opinion, this would kind of fall under the IWB holster category when you have an unbuttoned shirt and the firearm is not "fully visible" at all times.Just my opinion. I wouldn't risk getting charged with a CCW (Carrying a Concealed Weapon) for something that petty.

joe_robi

imported post

no i do not have a cpl(cant wait til i get one though).

i always keep my shirt tucked around my holster but not tucked all the way around in my pants.

T Vance

imported post

joe_robi wrote:
no i do not have a cpl(cant wait til i get one though).

i always keep my shirt tucked around my holster but not tucked all the way around in my pants.
You don't have to tuck in your entire shirt, but you should keep your shirt tucked around your gun at least.

joe_robi

imported post

yeah hale is quite a bit of a drive from pickney,
but more so i don't have the cash to take the coarse or get the license.
i will continue to oc until i get my license i just wont go were i cant go, i live in a very low crime part of mich so i dont worry about carrying most of the time.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

There is an attorney general opinion which was written a long time ago; I checked with 2 attorneys a few years ago and they said that it was still valid as "there is no specific time at which an opinion becomes inoperative, it becomes inoperative through either a new AG opinion, judicial opinion, or legislative processes" and "the opinion referenced a MI Supreme Court Decision, which means it is very strong". I can't find the original decision on line, but here is the original opinion.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/agopinions/MI_3158.txt

Additionally, the state police Criminal Justice Information Center and the DNR still reference this opinion when referring to "open carry", as do many other police department websites. One example:

see: http://www.state.mi.us/MSP/CJIC/FireFAQ.htm

PDinDetroit

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
There is an attorney general opinion which was written a long time ago; I checked with 2 attorneys a few years ago and they said that it was still valid as "there is no specific time at which an opinion becomes inoperative, it becomes inoperative through either a new AG opinion, judicial opinion, or legislative processes" and "the opinion referenced a MI Supreme Court Decision, which means it is very strong". I can't find the original decision on line, but here is the original opinion.

Additionally, the state police Criminal Justice Information Center and the DNR still reference this opinion when referring to "open carry", as do many other police department websites. One example:

Very Interesting...

I have an old Marksman 1010 Air Pistol that I got when I was 10 that fires more than just BB's (pellets/darts). It would appear that I have to get it registered based upon MI Laws (second link).

Now, how the hell do I approach the situation? I feel like the Police will laugh me out of the office!

ghostrider

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
DrTodd wrote:

Very Interesting...

I have an old Marksman 1010 Air Pistol that I got when I was 10 that fires more than just BB's (pellets/darts). It would appear that I have to get it registered based upon MI Laws (second link).

Now, how the hell do I approach the situation? I feel like the Police will laugh me out of the office!
It's probably not all that uncommon since one cannot buy one from the store without a PPP, or CPL. That they need to be registered/safety checked is noting new.